NAC Commisioner: Jones wasn't supposed to be tested for recreational drugs

Lol so Jones did nothing wrong and it was the commission who fucked up?

Is normal.

Also shows how much he was being tested, got another one only two weeks later.

Was DC also being randomly tested??

Well, Jones did violate U.S. 21 USC

Sherdog main site had an article on it leading up to the fight. Both fighters were tested twice randomly.

Oh got it. Thanks for the info.

I wonder if they test guys on the same dates or just as long as it's two times.

By that I mean Jones two tests came within a 3-week period, which I think they do a lot because that's how they tricked Sonnen (thought he passed first test so he juiced then like a week later they came for the second test and he knew he was screwed)

But I also see the benefit of two tests being far apart during the camp.

just the law and the ufc code of conduct

I've read this being mentioned and read the response being that testing positive for cocaine is not illegal. Having posession of it or distributing is. I'm not an expert on drug laws so I can't explain the nuances of it but I think that's the most basic explanation of why what Jones tested positive for is not technically illegal.

its not that interesting that he wasn't tested the 2nd time because he was never supposed to have been the 1st time, which they corrected the 2nd test.

also i highly doubt he tried to over hydrate so he didn't fail because I'm sure he knew the test was for PED's and not recreational drugs.

It's interesting in the context of those who have been citing the second test as proof of his cleanliness, for lack of a better term.

I've read this being mentioned and read the response being that testing positive for cocaine is not illegal. Having posession of it or distributing is. I'm not an expert on drug laws so I can't explain the nuances of it but I think that's the most basic explanation of why what Jones tested positive for is not technically illegal.

Something along these lines here. I don't know the exact specifics either, but know that if wouldn't be able to get charged now because of it by law.

its not that interesting that he wasn't tested the 2nd time because he was never supposed to have been the 1st time, which they corrected the 2nd test.

also i highly doubt he tried to over hydrate so he didn't fail because I'm sure he knew the test was for PED's and not recreational drugs.

They tested him with the wrong test twice on December 4th because the first one was "watery" and both failed. Then they tested him again on the 18th (I guess with the wrong test again) and he passed.

Yeah but in competition refers to 12 hours before the fight and the post-test according to the article. When they actually took the illegal substance is irrelevant because according to the rules all that matters is what comes up in the test. As bad of a rule that is- that's what it is so it makes sense why Jones does not get punished by the AC. The UFC punishing him is a whole different issue as I'm sure he likely broke some code-of-conduct type stuff which if they felt like it they could probably punish him.

Yeah, my point is mostly about the way that they test for marijuana. I really think it needs to be changed, but as it stands, everyone knows the rules. As much as I absolutely LOVE Coke-Gate, I really don't care what these guys are doing in their free time. I'm just thankful for all the shoops generated from this lol.

For people asking why Diaz gets in trouble and not Jones

They also mention his post-fight test was not released yet. Would be another shitstorm if that turns out positive

Right, this could all be damage control lol oh boy somebody fucked up

They tested him with the wrong test twice on December 4th because the first one was "watery" and both failed. Then they tested him again on the 18th (I guess with the wrong test again) and he passed.

i meant 2nd test as in the dec 18th test...they didn't test him for coke that time because they never were supposed to in the first place.

Correct me if I am wrong here but ain't cocaine illegal in usa? Will nothing happen on that front either?

The thing that is ridiculous about it, is that most of the guys (if not all of them) that have tested positive for marijuana have only tested positive inactive metabolites, and not THC. It should fall into the same category as out of competition use. They could have stopped using marijuana 4-6 weeks out and still tested positive, whereas Jones could have used cocaine 3-4 days before his fight and tested clean.

I think the "in-competition" versus "out-of-competition" distinction refers to the tests, not to the drug use itself. But I agree with you, if there's a better way to test for marijuana that will only identify someone using the day of the fight instead of casting a net wide enough to catch someone who smoked a few weeks earlier, they should be using it.

Oh got it. Thanks for the info.

I wonder if they test guys on the same dates or just as long as it's two times.

By that I mean Jones two tests came within a 3-week period, which I think they do a lot because that's how they tricked Sonnen (thought he passed first test so he juiced then like a week later they came for the second test and he knew he was screwed)

But I also see the benefit of two tests being far apart during the camp.

I would think that they would try to hit them at approximately the same time, just to avoid the fighter that was tested second from hearing about the test and taking measures to cheat the system. They usually target dates such as a press conference when both fighters are in the same place.

No. What happened is this -

December 4th -
Test #1 - Too watery, so asked to piss again just in case -> Positive for Coke
Test #2 - Fine sample, taken -> Positive for Cocaine

Then they realized they had fucked up and we're only supposed to test for PED's and remember that for Jones second random test.

December 18th -
Test #1 - Fine sample, taken -> Clean result

Correct me if I am wrong here but ain't cocaine illegal in usa? Will nothing happen on that front either?

yes its illegal....but absolutely nothing will happen because he failed a drug test lol. it is only illegal to posses coke, you have to be caught with it in your possession.

i meant 2nd test as in the dec 18th test...they didn't test him for coke that time because they never were supposed to in the first place.

No. What happened is this -

December 4th -
Test #1 - Too watery, so asked to piss again just in case -> Positive for Coke
Test #2 - Fine sample, taken -> Positive for Cocaine

Then they realized they had fucked up and we're only supposed to test for PED's and remember that for Jones second random test.

December 18th -
Test #1 - Fine sample, taken -> Clean result

Oh, I didn't realize that. I thought all of the tests were just wrong. Thanks.

Edit: to both of you.

Lol so Jones did nothing wrong and it was the commission who fucked up?

Is normal.

Also shows how much he was being tested, got another one only two weeks later.

Was DC also being randomly tested??

Yeah really what were his coke levels? I dont like jones but these comissions are a mess. Im so confused by how this was handled.

Back