my wife hates my cauliflower ear...

I wrestled too. I think rubbery ears makes a difference.

Maybe you have block ears that if moved a bit just blow up?

or aids. I dunno. I'm not a doctor.

I am bad at wrestling and use my head for the double tkd.

cutting the corner is also pretty nasty on the ear.

Some guys roll really hard and agressive and get cauli really quickly.

There is a say: "he has cauli 'cause he is not technical, he just roll like a blue belt!".

I could roll with you and give you cauli on purpose!

For sure this is a style thing too, I never stick my head in. More of a guard player when rolling, I try not to stick my head in partially bc of the ears but also to avoid getting choked! Some guys just lock up and go head first.

Aside from headgear, and avoiding headlocks, what is the best way to prevent it?

Man, I don't want that shit.

I think avoiding the crossface is really, really important. I also think the way you use your pressure is important - i.e.- not using your head to drive into people, but your shoulder or your hip. My instructor is a fourth degree black belt and has zero cauliflower ear. I think it's because he never lets himself get crossfaced and his top control and passes utilize his hips and his shoulders.

I've also noticed a lot of beginners, especially strong beginners, really go for the head squeeze. This accomplishes nothing except cauliflower ear. I've never seen anyone above purple go for that bullshit.

Screw getting cauli... i got a little bit a while back and had to get it drained. Headgear ever since - and i actually prefer it. I'm the only guy that wears headgear and no one cares at all, the adidas headgear actually looks pretty good.

mine was huge when it first started but I drained it once and after that it's only a small little thing on the top of my ear. I don't know if it's that noticeable though..

Really? Did you become susceptible/develop it over time? Or just one particularly effective incident that caused major cauli problems?

As a sidenote, I am convinced that a large number of jiu jitsoka secretely want califlower ear, although they will adamantly deny it.

I have personally seen guys get fairly severe cauli, and complain and complain about it. They act like they are devastated and then conveniently neglect to treat it.

It is just kind of funny, in a peculiar way

This is 100% true.

I think it has to do with a lot of people (mostly people without cauli) saying how lame it is to be proud of your cauliflower ears, and how you should just train, and blah blah blah.

But truth be told, i have felt that it is a sign of honor. That you have put in your time on the mats. And you do train.

But alas, i too appear to be immune. Honestly though, it doesnt bug me that i dont have it. And if by some miracle, tomorrow my ear puffs up, i would probably say "sick", and just keep training.

I wrestled too. I think rubbery ears makes a difference.

Maybe you have block ears that if moved a bit just blow up?

or aids. I dunno. I'm not a doctor.

+1 for funniest post of the day.

Luckily, I appear to be immune to cauli. :)

(Waits for post about getting kneed in the ear and it turning into a balloon)

Truthfully, wear headgear. If you hate it, then don't wear it until you have an aggravation and then wear it until it's better. Get it stitched if necessary.

Marriage might be your first priority :icon_chee

Noticed a tiny little spot years ago after a judo class ... Picked up some Asics headgear and I wear it drilling and rolling for judo and bjj ... Still have the same small little spot and I'm happy about that

ufcdisfiguredearcouture.jpg

Chicks think this shit is HAWT!
And hey I respect that guy...must be the ears...

Mine started as a white belt. Rolling with another white belt who was under the impression that a very hard headlock was a submission. Unfortunately my ear was folded over in this process, and I was kinda pissed that he was attempting this BS on me, so i just advanced position and pried my head out.

The next day I noticed a very small bit of swelling on my right ear. I didn't know what to think of it, eventually it went away leaving a small bump of deformed cartilage.

It wasn't an issue for a while, but this small bump sort of serves as a "hang nail" or "sore thumb" meaning that it is easier to aggravate since the tissue is less flexible, resulting in easier swelling and a more developed cali.

I now wear ear guards and avoid headlocks at all costs. the main reason for further development comes from competition where i don't wear ear guards. It is only on one ear, while the other ear is perfectly normal. I honestly can say I wish it would have never happened or i would have recognized earlier as a white belt exactly what was happening.

I have gotten pretty good at draining it myself when it does get swollen with an insulin syringe. I keep my hair a little shaggy so it isn't immediately apparent to co-workers or the general public.

Fortunately for me, I am the shallow one in my marriage. I was lucky to find a sexy wife who accepts me for who I am and actually thinks it is hot, but she does not like to see it swollen when it looks nasty. She will watch me drain it in disgusted amazement. :icon_twis

Mine started as a white belt. Rolling with another white belt who was under the impression that a very hard headlock was a submission. Unfortunately my ear was folded over in this process, and I was kinda pissed that he was attempting this BS on me, so i just advanced position and pried my head out.

The next day I noticed a very small bit of swelling on my right ear. I didn't know what to think of it, eventually it went away leaving a small bump of deformed cartilage.

It wasn't an issue for a while, but this small bump sort of serves as a "hang nail" or "sore thumb" meaning that it is easier to aggravate since the tissue is less flexible, resulting in easier swelling and a more developed cali.

I now wear ear guards and avoid headlocks at all costs. the main reason for further development comes from competition where i don't wear ear guards. It is only on one ear, while the other ear is perfectly normal. I honestly can say I wish it would have never happened or i would have recognized earlier as a white belt exactly what was happening.

I have gotten pretty good at draining it myself when it does get swollen with an insulin syringe. I keep my hair a little shaggy so it isn't immediately apparent to co-workers or the general public.

Fortunately for me, I am the shallow one in my marriage. I was lucky to find a sexy wife who accepts me for who I am and actually thinks it is hot, but she does not like to see it swollen when it looks nasty. She will watch me drain it in disgusted amazement. :icon_twis

I've got one of those too. Freaky chicks. She also takes it one step further..if I get an ingrown hair or something she chases me around with tweezers begging me to let her operate on it. weirdo for sure...

It is not about the flexibility of your ears but more about your type of fighting/rolling.

and the odd accident i.e elbow or knees strikes.

Also Judokas are known for their cauli 'cause of their massive throwns i.e ears landing flat on mats.

My ears are ok its my eye that gets kneed or elbowed all the damn time... Or, all the newbs at the Gym grab a handful of skin when their grabbing for my gi so from the bruises it looks like I've been pummeled about the arms an chest

You really can't be immune to it. Sort of like saying you are immune to bruising on your left tricep... maybe you were just lucky. Sure some people may be less prone, but if your ear keeps getting rubbed the right way (now now pervs), you will get it.

And for all of you who drain your ears yourselves, just remember to be really clean about it (lots of alcohol, etc.), because an infection there can be devastating. In fact, your doctor should prescribe you antibiotics if they drain your ear to prevent this.

Oh yeah, I wear ear guards because my ear blew up once. And never looked back. In fact, people ask me about where they can get a pair all the time, so trust me, you are not the dork and don't look that way to other people.

Really? Did you become susceptible/develop it over time? Or just one particularly effective incident that caused major cauli problems?

As a sidenote, I am convinced that a large number of jiu jitsoka secretely want califlower ear, although they will adamantly deny it.

I have personally seen guys get fairly severe cauli, and complain and complain about it. They act like they are devastated and then conveniently neglect to treat it.

It is just kind of funny, in a peculiar way.

I sort of wanted cauliflower ear, well I didn't mind it until it actually started to develop then I changed my mind. I'm pretty lucky I'm not susceptible to cauliflower ear but after a rough session it started swelling but icing usually gets rid of it.

I roll very calmly and don't put that much pressure on my ear, but punches and thai clinch sparring can't really be avoided.

I think though cauliflower ear is a badge of honour and you can have plastic surgery to get rid of it if you really want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back