My Top 10 MMA Fighters of All Time.

What relevance does the Serra (and Hughes) fights have to do with evaluating GSP? Who won the rematch?

It's like hugging to Okami's nuts to this day because he once defeated Silva, one time. Silva literally and figuratively squashed him in the second fight. It's called an anomaly. Don't mean to be a dick but I think that's wierd logic too, bro.

He still lost to them, and was finished. He lost his 1st bid at a title shot and lost in his 1st title defense. Anderson destroyed the champ twice and went on to defend a record amount of times.

Okami won by DQ. Weird comparison.

GSP had a lot of trouble with Shields, Serra, Condit, and Hendricks. So, that's some weird logic.

Oh, and Hughes.

That's not really the point though, Brohan. He fought better competition, is the point. Struggle or not, he beat them.

And Anderson Silva struggled with Travis Lutter, lulcats

GSP 1,3,5, deal with it!

GSP 3,5, barely
2,4 dominated
1 lost because of the elbows

If I was to score the fight based on the six point per round system, It'd look like this:

Round 1: 4-2 Hendricks
Round 2: 5-1 Hendricks
Round 3: 4-2 GSP
Round 4: 4-2 Hendricks
Round 5: 4-2 GSP

Hendricks 15, GSP 13. That is a good refection of how the fight looked to me.

let's assume for a second that you are correct in assuming that GSP wants no part of Hendricks (and there is much evidence that that's just total shit). And let's just assume that Hendricks/GSP was a robbery, as opposed to a close fight that could have gone either way (as it was).

Is this really all you have on GSP? Really? A close fight when he was past his prime and, if your hilariously delusional reasoning is correct, avoiding a rematch with Hendricks?

Let's start with this: Anderson wanted to retire after the first Weidman fight, do we disparage him for that? No, absolutely not, and frankly, we shouldn't hold his two losses against weidman that much against him, that doesn't erase everything else he's done. Certainly no more than we should hold a close win against GSP.

What evidence is there that disproves that? In fact, all the evidence leads to GSP not wanting to fight Hendricks. Picked Diaz over him and then 'retired' after getting the shit beaten out of him and being gifted a decision, while being booed by the crowd.

Past his prime?! Hahaha.. oh lord, are you fucking kidding me right now? Most predictions were 'GSP 50-45' or that GSP would finish him because he was Kos 2.0. Now he's 'past his prime' after he got walloped? Gimme a fucking break.

GSP and Anderson aren't comparable, as Anderson is 38 with 30+ fights while GSP is 32 with not even 30 fights to his name. He wants nothing to do with Hendricks, absolutely nothing.

That's not really the point though, Brohan. He fought better competition, is the point. Struggle or not, he beat them.

And Anderson Silva struggled with Travis Lutter, lulcats

Lol at least Anderson beat his TUF challenger, where as GSP was finished in the 1st round and tapping to strikes.

GSP 3,5, barely
2,4 dominated
1 lost because of the elbows

If I was to score the fight based on the six point per round system, It'd look like this:

Round 1: 4-2 Hendricks
Round 2: 5-1 Hendricks
Round 3: 4-2 GSP
Round 4: 4-2 Hendricks
Round 5: 4-2 GSP

Hendricks 15, GSP 13. That is a good refection of how the fight looked to me.

a totally respectable opinion. To say that Hendricks won that isn't at all silly; it is, after all, a close decision that could have gone EITHER way, regardless of whether that be a draw, a win for GSP or a win for JH. With that said, you must respect that the first round was very close, and that many felt that GSP won it, and as such, it can't really be a robbery.

a lot of people agree with incompetence in that case

cry more buddy

Do people agree that based off the 10 point must system that GSP won, or based on the eye test and opinion of the fight as a whole?(Which is the way I think fights should be judged)

I can understand people going off the flawed 10 point must system and saying GSP won, but people that think he won the fight as judged by the whole thing? I think thats ridiculous.

GSP has better resume than anybody ever, but left the sport after controversial decision and at age 32. Who retires at 32?! He can't be GOAT.

Lol at least Anderson beat his TUF challenger, where as GSP was finished in the 1st round and tapping to strikes.

Ha, touche.

Though it's fair to note that GSP beat the ever loving piss out of him the second fight, somewhat redeeming himself.

Plus he's never been held down and punched in the face by any guy that can wrestle a little.

But sure, he's never had to face the mighty wrath of a fighter the caliber of

Ryo Chonnan, Luiz Azeredo, Daiju Takase, Patrick Cote, Thales Leites, James Irvin or Stephen Bonnar!

Guess he should have fought the minus twenty ranked in his division instead of the top ten...

a totally respectable opinion. To say that Hendricks won that isn't at all silly; it is, after all, a close decision that could have gone EITHER way, regardless of whether that be a draw, a win for GSP or a win for JH. With that said, you must respect that the first round was very close, and that many felt that GSP won it, and as such, it can't really be a robbery.

I think it showed a flaw in the 10 point must system. All 10-9 rounds are not created equal, and rounds 2 and 4 for Hendricks were more dominant than any of GSP's rounds, plus its inexcusably for the judges to miss the severity of Johnny's elbows in round one. I cannot see how anyone judged round 1 for GSP unless they only judged the elbows as one strike, and not a powerful damaging strike, which is what all of them were. GSP was woozy after them.

I just hate the 10 point system, and I hate seeing fighters that win, lose, and fighters that lose, win. Its terrible for the sport and turns potential new fans away, I've seen it happen with Shogun vs Machida I.

Cant take any list without Hendo in it seriously. Smh.

Cant take any list without Hendo in it seriously. Smh.

I disagree that Hendo has to be in everyones top 10.

The top 4 are pretty set at Fedor, GSP, A. Silva and Jon Jones. They can but put in any order.

Then theres a big group of guys

Wandy
B.J. Penn
Matt Hughes
Big Nog
Couture
Shogun
Hendo
Liddel
Aldo

You have to leave off three of those guys for a top ten, and I chose to leave off Hendo, Shogun, and Matt Hughes.

What evidence is there that disproves that? In fact, all the evidence leads to GSP not wanting to fight Hendricks. Picked Diaz over him and then 'retired' after getting the shit beaten out of him and being gifted a decision, while being booed by the crowd.

Past his prime?! Hahaha.. oh lord, are you fucking kidding me right now? Most predictions were 'GSP 50-45' or that GSP would finish him because he was Kos 2.0. Now he's 'past his prime' after he got walloped? Gimme a fucking break.

GSP and Anderson aren't comparable, as Anderson is 38 with 30+ fights while GSP is 32 with not even 30 fights to his name. He wants nothing to do with Hendricks, absolutely nothing.

You must have missed all ofthe rumors of GSP's impending retirement, his clear mental decline, and the increasing physical toll caused by his multiple injuries (fighters are never quite the same after ACL tears you know). GSP would have in all likeliness retired regardless of the result at 167. He fought Diaz in a money fight before Hendricks, that is wrong, but Hendricks got his fight in. Again, Anderson wanted to retire after losing ot Weidman the first time, but he clearly wasn't ducking him. The best part is that there is nothing that you can say that proves me wrong. Can you find any quotes of "I don't want to fight JH."

Yeah, I'd say GSP was past his prime. Several injuries (including ACL tears). Struggling with Diaz in a way that would never have happened before, incluidng uncharactersistic struggling for takedowns and gassing.

People picking GSP by domination were wrong, and even I, one of GSP's biggest fans expected a close decision. People were caught up in the aura of GSP's invincibility, which, frankly, when observed under a microscope didn't quite hold up. Beyond that, Hendricks had not impressed in some of his other fights and had been pissing a lot of people off. People who were suggesting another 50-45 were, in all honesty, lazy, and not interested in giving the fight an actual analysis. Hendricks, for his part, had showed up looking much better than even I had expected (much more diverse striking arsenal than expected, better TDD than expected, more gas than I had though etc...). Yes GSP was decidedly past his prime, when you have multiple ACL tears and have been fighting hte best of the best in your division for 7 years, you can't be expected to be at your best, especially when you have a training regiment as disciplined and physically taxing as GSPs.

GSP and Anderson are very comparable. You like to forget that people had been claiming that Anderson was like fine wine, only getting better with age; I had even heard wispers of comparison to Roberto Duran. Certainly, he had looked excellent against Bonnar, Chael, and Okami of late. Beyond that, you're forgetting that Anderson and GSP have different styles: GSP is a wrestler, and thus, his ligaments and tendons (so essential to his game) are the first to go. Anderson for his part, is primarily a striker. And while Strikers typically lose their chins before they lose anything else, Anderson's defensive skill had led few to doubt his chin. Hell, Anderson was even the favorite in the Weidman rematch. Past his prime? Probably, but you'd never know it coming in to the Weidman fight, while anybody that bothered to look at all into GSP's past few fights could tell that there was some evidence of decline.

It's been a long time RedHawks, I missed schooling you

I disagree that Hendo has to be in everyones top 10.

The top 4 are pretty set at Fedor, GSP, A. Silva and Jon Jones. They can but put in any order.

Then theres a big group of guys

Wandy
B.J. Penn
Matt Hughes
Big Nog
Couture
Shogun
Hendo
Liddel
Aldo

You have to leave off three of those guys for a top ten, and I chose to leave off Hendo, Shogun, and Matt Hughes.

I agree with you because its so hard to judge who goes where after number 4 and ppl look at it in different ways

Not really, only the most rabid GSP fans that don't want to see him lose

Most people felt Hendricks beat GSP

there was a poll on this website a while back, I believe it was around 40% thought that GSP won it (and that's not taking into account those who thought it was a draw).
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/after-re-watching-gsp-hendricks-2608019/

there was another poll breaking down opinions on round 1 (which I unfortuantley cannot find right now), which reflected similar statistics

of course there are those like you who like to call robbery willy-nilly and scream foul at every little drop of controversy, but really, when people calmed down, rewatched the fight, got over the fact that GSP was actually having a tough time with somebody and stopped listening to Rogan's idiocies, they saw the fight as what it really was: a very Penn-Edgar 1-esque fight. a close fight that, upon review with less emotion and beer, is no longer a robbery, but a fight that could have gone either way (and I am one of Penn's biggest fans on these forums too)

I think it showed a flaw in the 10 point must system. All 10-9 rounds are not created equal, and rounds 2 and 4 for Hendricks were more dominant than any of GSP's rounds, plus its inexcusably for the judges to miss the severity of Johnny's elbows in round one. I cannot see how anyone judged round 1 for GSP unless they only judged the elbows as one strike, and not a powerful damaging strike, which is what all of them were. GSP was woozy after them.

I just hate the 10 point system, and I hate seeing fighters that win, lose, and fighters that lose, win. Its terrible for the sport and turns potential new fans away, I've seen it happen with Shogun vs Machida I.

An unfortunate truth, but one that we must either change, or learn to live with

the truth is that GSP played it smart, always has, always will, and he was rewarded for learning the system.

Most of the arguing that will occur here will be because of the fact that some people will want to rank based on skill, or even "skill during their prime", instead of just accomplishments.

I dont even blame GSP for retiring early. Shit retiring at 32 and being set for life? sounds good to me. Plus so many fighters and other athletes stick around for way too long like Wandy, Big Nog, Hendo, Couture, and many more.

Back