My goat criteria

CashMoney1991

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think goat status has a lot to do with how the champ looked during his reign of being king and could be debated with five ppl..Andy fedor jones gsp and Aldo which is my 1-5 in that order. I also look at the caliber of their opponents and how impressive their wins were which is why I think Andy is the goat cus he finished everyone when he was actually trying. Jones could very well pass him if he keeps it up but to me he has to do it decisively and finish more ppl which he hasn't in a while

Strength of competition is most important to me, followed by how decisively they beat them. If you're getting split decisions every fight, that doesn't look as good as if you were getting dominant decisions or finishes. A guy like GSP has a strong resume and usually dominated his opponents, just didn't eke out the win in a close fight (though that is what happened against Hendricks; he barely eked out the win).

GSP is GOAT. When Jones gets back and wins a couple of more times, he'll be GOAT.

Strength of competition is most important to me, followed by how decisively they beat them. If you're getting split decisions every fight, that doesn't look as good as if you were getting dominant decisions or finishes. A guy like GSP has a strong resume and usually dominated his opponents, just didn't eke out the win in a close fight (though that is what happened against Hendricks; he barely eked out the win).

GSP is GOAT. When Jones gets back and wins a couple of more times, he'll be GOAT.
I love gsp and his resume is strong but he's not the goat to me due to his lack of finishes

I love gsp and his resume is strong but he's not the goat to me due to his lack of finishes
from august 2007 to november 2012 gsp didn't even lost a round. ... He is the GOAT. so dominant

My criteria is simple.....
Decode the acronym G.O.A.T ,,,,

J O N J O N E S

Go watch that recent Dan Hardy interview. He sums it up pretty good. Dan Hardy never got to fight GSP, he was fighting him off for 25 minutes. Then go watch Bisping and Anderson. GSP dominating > Anderson waiting for a counter imo.

I think goat status has a lot to do with how the champ looked during his reign of being king and could be debated with five ppl..Andy fedor jones gsp and Aldo which is my 1-5 in that order. I also look at the caliber of their opponents and how impressive their wins were which is why I think Andy is the goat cus he finished everyone when he was actually trying. Jones could very well pass him if he keeps it up but to me he has to do it decisively and finish more ppl which he hasn't in a while

If you think that then Aldo shouldn't be in your list.

He is boring as fuck. He also gassed in lots of fights. Has only 1 legit finish in 8 fights. Of course he was great in WEC but against less competition.

Aldo is top 20 though.

Go watch that recent Dan Hardy interview. He sums it up pretty good. Dan Hardy never got to fight GSP, he was fighting him off for 25 minutes. Then go watch Bisping and Anderson. GSP dominating > Anderson waiting for a counter imo.
Hey, where is that interview? I would like to see it.

Nah Jon Jones has dropped several rounds in the last couple of years.

GSP for 5 straight years didn't lose a round...let that sink in...let it sink a bit deeper now...

GSP is the GOAT hands down.

The more time passes the more his spot will be solidified well because Jones, McGregor, and the list goes on and on will never do that...not only will they never do that they won't do it against the killers GSP faced.

For as much shit as people want to give GSP about not finishing opponents..Jones hasn't finished a legit LHW since 2011 (finishing two bum MWs don't count). Jones has turned into a decision machine and there is nothing wrong with that since he is facing the best in his division just like GSP was during his dominance.

If you think that then Aldo shouldn't be in your list.

He is boring as fuck. He also gassed in lots of fights. Has only 1 legit finish in 8 fights. Of course he was great in WEC but against less competition.

Aldo is top 20 though.

WEC was the competition, fucktard

I'll tell you one thing. It sure as fuck isn't somebody that's never defended a UFC belt. Though an argument can be made for Fedor if you want. It also can't be anyone popped for peds. Though an argument can be made for Anderson.

No fuck that... it's GSP, Jones. Or Jones, GSP... Then EVERYBODY ELSE.

And Conor is a ways down that everybody else list.

I always thought he got a little too much shit for that. To me, there were only two fights that he should have finished and didn’t. One was Hardy. By the second round Hardy didn’t know what to do. When he wasn’t getting planted on his back, he was getting lit up on the feet. GSP could have easily TKOd him but didn’t push hard enough. The second was one eyed Koscheck.

But other than that, his opponents had almost never been finished.

GSP for 5 straight years didn't lose a round...let that sink in...let it sink a bit deeper now...

The more time passes the more his spot will be solidified well because Jones, McGregor, and the list goes on and on will never do that...not only will they never do that they won't do it against the killers GSP faced.

For as much shit as people want to give GSP about not finishing opponents..Jones hasn't finished a legit LHW since 2011 (finishing two bum MWs don't count). Jones has turned into a decision machine and there is nothing wrong with that since he is facing the best in his division just like GSP was during his dominance.

giphy.gif

So dropping rounds takes precedent over actually winning the fight...

Jon Jones is GOAT when you look at everything he is accomplished already, plus the fact that he isn't close to being done in the sport like Fedor, Anderson, or GSP. He will end the debate when his career is finished.

Jon Jones

- Youngest champion in UFC history.

- Won the belt his first time out.

- Took over what was universally considered the best division in MMA, the LHW division. A division where no champion was able to reign.

- Still unbeaten. Has never been KO'd, submitted, or beaten by decision.

- Has a resume with more champions, legends and future hall of famers than anyone in the GOAT argument. A lot Fighters on his resume are considered some of the best to ever compete in the sport.

Last edited:
Jon Jones is GOAT when you look at everything he is accomplished already, plus the fact that he isn't close to being done in the sport like Fedor, Anderson, or GSP.

Jon Jones

- Youngest champion in UFC history.
- Won the belt his first time out.
- Took over what was universally considered the best division in MMA. A division where no champion was able to reign.
- Still unbeaten. Has never been KO'd, submitted, or decisioned
- Has a resume with more champions, legends and future hall of famers than anyone in the GOAT argument. A lot Fighters on his resume are considered some of the best to ever compete in the sport.

-Kudos for being the youngest champion.
-Kudios for winning the belt the first time out. (I guess that's a shot at GSP)
-LHW was never the best division in MMA. I mean you had people playing hot potato with the title. (Light weight and welterweight are universally known as the deepest divisions...oh and GSP dominated the 2nd deepest division behind LW for 6 and a half years)
-Like I said before the fighters in the LHW division were hot potato with the title that's not a sign of a strong and stable division.

You were doing good the first couple of points but then just made up some shit about the LHW division that wasn't true then and isn't true now. Stick to the facts they serve you better then lying.

And GSP dropped a couple of fights. Jones, on the other hand, is undefeated (Hamill debacle does not count).

A few rounds in the space of a few years is not worth bringing up in a debate about fighters like GSP and Jones. That's just nitpicking.

Back