My goat criteria

I think we should first decide the criteria of being a GOAT...does GOAT have to do more about consestincy and dominance or does it have to do more with being exciting and getting finishes??? Unless people settle that...there will always be the debate between GSP/Aldo being boring and those with finishes being more eligible for GOAT status

-
-LHW was never the best division in MMA. I mean you had people playing hot potato with the title. (Light weight and welterweight are universally known as the deepest divisions...oh and GSP dominated the 2nd deepest division behind LW for 6 and a half years)
-Like I said before the fighters in the LHW division were hot potato with the title that's not a sign of a strong and stable division..

I'm not sure I follow your logic here.

Why is a division weaker if the competition is so fierce that no one can hold onto the title? By that logic wouldn't WBW be a super great division because one person dominated it for nearly all of their career?

Hot potato with the title doesn't mean the division is weak, it means that its competitive to the point where there isn't one guy who is so far above the rest. Maybe it just makes it less marketable.

What do you think of the lightweight and welterweight divisions now? Where it seems like both champions look pretty beatable despite putting on good performances.

-Kudos for being the youngest champion.
-Kudios for winning the belt the first time out. (I guess that's a shot at GSP)
-LHW was never the best division in MMA. I mean you had people playing hot potato with the title. (Light weight and welterweight are universally known as the deepest divisions...oh and GSP dominated the 2nd deepest division behind LW for 6 and a half years)
-Like I said before the fighters in the LHW division were hot potato with the title that's not a sign of a strong and stable division.

You were doing good the first couple of points but then just made up some shit about the LHW division that wasn't true then and isn't true now. Stick to the facts they serve you better then lying.

That tells me you have been around the sport that long. Look back and see what MMA fans were saying was the best division in MMA before Jon's reign. The LHW division was universally considered the best.

That tells me you have been around the sport that long. Look back and see what MMA fans were saying was the best division in MMA before Jon's reign. The LHW division was universally considered the best.

I've been following the sport since about 2011, and I remember people saying that LHW was the best because of Jones, Rashad, Machida, Rampage, Hendo, Thiago Silva etc. that was when I was still pretty new to MMA, nowadays I'd imagine most people would probably say featherweight or lightweight is the deepest division but IDK opinions etc.

The GOAT of MMA is always an immensely stupid conversation when you consider ... well anything really ... but for sure how new the sport is.

When American Football was 23 years old, who was the best ... Who fucking cares ?!?!?!

And GSP dropped a couple of fights. Jones, on the other hand, is undefeated (Hamill debacle does not count).

A few rounds in the space of a few years is not worth bringing up in a debate about fighters like GSP and Jones. That's just nitpicking.

What does dropping a couple of fights have to do with someone's sustained dominance and level of competition? If you think LHW was deeper and had better talent then the WW division then you are just lying to yourself lol look what Condit just did to Lawler in their last fight none of that would be happening if GSP was still fighting. GSP 5-0'd Condit easily.

I mean Rocky Marciano is undefeated as a heavyweight but no one in their right mind thinks he is better than Cassuis Clay, Larry Holmes, Joe Frazier, or Joe Louis. Why so much stock in being undefeated? Sure it's a nice feather in your cap but if the competition isn't there it isn't there. Nobody in their right mind thinks Mayweather Jr. is a better fighter than Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Robinson has 19 losses so the point it moot.

Whether you like it or not the Hamill fight is a loss...he broke the rules and was DQ'd. It counts as a career loss. Some as if you low blow in boxing and the ref warns you that the next time it's a DQ. Same thing when Roy Jones hit Montell Griffen when he was already down and got DQ'd. A loss is a loss is a loss.

I respect whoever says Jones is the GOAT because he is the most talented fighter I have ever seen but he just can't turn that talent into devastating finishes or even dominating performances like GSP did for 5 years. If other fighters had Jon Jones' physical gift why would do a lot more with them then he has done the last 5 years.

I got Jones and Fedor tied for 2nd :D the whole "undefeated" argument is a relatively new one which leads me to believe you guys perpetuating it haven't been fans of combat sports in general for a long period of time.

I also think there should be a seperate term for active fighters...when you say Greatest of All Time...I think jt sud be termed after the fighter hangs his gloves...because in MMA you never know...look at Andreson Silva...he is not even included in the GOAT conversation anymore....he was THE GOAT not a long time ago...for me Jones and GSP are GOAT...but will Jones still be considered a GOAT if he hangs on too long and starts loosing often??(just an example) We are talking about greatest kf "all time" not greatest of an certain "era"...but if GOAT is what it is said to be...Jones/GSP/Aldo

Nah been following the sport ever since I can remember WW and LW have always been deeper.

You can play revisionist history all you want it doesn't change the facts in my mind :rolleyes: LHW was never and will never be deeper than WW or LW it's physically impossible. Statistics are on my side. the more you go up the less talent you have because the average man is not Anderson Silva's size or Jon Jones size or Overeem's size. The average man is GSP size and Pettis' size. It's just a fact of the situation you can ignore it (as you probably will) but it's just a fact.

My goat criteria:
1. Horns
2. Fur
3. Not a human being

Nah been following the sport ever since I can remember WW and LW have always been deeper.

You can play revisionist history all you want it doesn't change the facts in my mind :rolleyes: LHW was never and will never be deeper than WW or LW it's physically impossible. Statistics are on my side. the more you go up the less talent you have because the average man is not Anderson Silva's size or Jon Jones size or Overeem's size. The average man is GSP size and Pettis' size. It's just a fact of the situation you can ignore it (as you probably will) but it's just a fact.

So you say the LHW division can never be stronger than WW or LW because the majority of men worldwide are smaller than LHWs.......

I'll just leave that here for everyone to read, no rebuttal necessary.

So you say the LHW division can never be stronger than WW or LW because the majority of men worldwide are smaller than LHWs.......

I'll just leave that here for everyone to read, no rebuttal necessary.
You can't rebut facts.

Cya ;)

Nah Jon Jones has dropped several rounds in the last couple of years.

GSP for 5 straight years didn't lose a round...let that sink in...let it sink a bit deeper now...

GSP is the GOAT hands down.

The more time passes the more his spot will be solidified well because Jones, McGregor, and the list goes on and on will never do that...not only will they never do that they won't do it against the killers GSP faced.

For as much shit as people want to give GSP about not finishing opponents..Jones hasn't finished a legit LHW since 2011 (finishing two bum MWs don't count). Jones has turned into a decision machine and there is nothing wrong with that since he is facing the best in his division just like GSP was during his dominance.

Nah, the greatest Mixed Martial Artist shouldn't need to go to a decision every single time out. The greatest fighters in history should have the ability to put guys away.

GSP doesn't possess the skill and technical execution to finish fights consistently.

Nah, the greatest Mixed Martial Artist shouldn't need to go to a decision every single time out. The greatest fighters in history should have the ability to put guys away.

GSP doesn't possess the skill and technical execution to finish fights consistently.
Jon Jones hasn't put away a LHW since 2011.

Thanks for defining what the greatest MMA fighter of all time should be able to do ;)

:D

You can't rebut facts.

Cya ;)

Here are some facts. The average man doesn't fall between LW and WW. Asia alone makes up 60% of the worlds population. Asian men in general tend to be shorter than western men. Despite Asia being a much larger population worldwide, there aren't a lot of asian fighters in the UFC. How is this possible when there is a much larger pool? Based on your logic, there should be more asian fighters in the UFC since there are more to choose from.

There is a rebuttal for ya. Your previous post still makes you look like an idiot.

Jon Jones hasn't put away a LHW since 2011.

Thanks for defining what the greatest MMA fighter of all time should be able to do ;)

:D

And that is partly why neither of them is the GOAT. Jones needs to take some if these guys out and cut down on these decisions if he plans to be GOAT.

Since Conor last lost 6 years ago he has only lost 1 round against Mendes in a fight that GSP , Jones and the rest would never have even have taken under the circumstances that Conor went through to make it to the fight .
Finishing everyone in devastating fashion along the way .
He just KO'd the pound for pound number one with one punch and then went straight after a dominant champ from the weight class above for his very next fight who he also would have KO'd ( RDA knew this and got himself out of the fight )

He is already in the running for GOAT , beating RDA would have put him top 2 and if he beats Lawler it's cemented .

Here are some facts. The average man doesn't fall between LW and WW. Asia alone makes up 60% of the worlds population. Asian men in general tend to be shorter than western men. Despite Asia being a much larger population worldwide, there aren't a lot of asian fighters in the UFC. How is this possible when there is a much larger pool? Based on your logic, there should be more asian fighters in the UFC since there are more to choose from.

There is a rebuttal for ya. Your previous post still makes you look like an idiot.
Again you can't rebut facts.

:rolleyes:

The GOAT of MMA is always an immensely stupid conversation when you consider ... well anything really ... but for sure how new the sport is.

When American Football was 23 years old, who was the best ... Who fucking cares ?!?!?!

I bet you there were discussions going in about who was the best 20 yrs into the NFL.

Since Conor last lost 6 years ago he has only lost 1 round against Mendes in a fight that GSP , Jones and the rest would never have even have taken under the circumstances that Conor went through to make it to the fight .
Finishing everyone in devastating fashion along the way .
He just KO'd the pound for pound number one with one punch and then went straight after a dominant champ from the weight class above for his very next fight who he also would have KO'd ( RDA knew this and got himself out of the fight )

He is already in the running for GOAT , beating RDA would have put him top 2 and if he beats Lawler it's cemented .
Facts.

And what do ya know Conor is 5'9" isn't that interesting? :D

Back