Music Trends That Were Short Lived

Boy bands
New Jack Swing
Limp Bizkit
Dubstep
New Wave
Synthpop

Depends on what you consider short lived

I remember crunkcore, specifically a band called Brokencyde. A review of them once said "Imagine an impassioned triceratops mating with a steam turbine, while off to the side Daft Punk and the Bee Gees beat each other to death with skillets and spatulas. Imagine the sound that would make. Just try. BrokeNCYDE is kind of like that, except it also makes you want to jab your thumbs into your eyeballs and gargle acid."

Living in New Mexico is awful because they still have fans here. They're from Albuquerque so when they broke out I had to hear about it all the time

squirrel nut zippers werent ska, they were part of the swing revival that lasted for like 2 years. i remember at my school they even would bust out the swing dancing. and ska is still sorta of a thing here, its sorta where it started.

Yeah, that swing revival didn't last long. Brian Setzer Orchestra was the main perpetrator of that shit.

Surprised no one has mentioned Raeggaeton yet it got popular real fast then it died out

3 pages and no auto-tune? It was as hated as it was popular.

Some of that god awful "rap-rock" that was too shitty to play on the hip hop station and ended up getting airplay on Clear Channel "rock stations" (I use that term loosely).

ex: Kottonmouth Kings, Cypress Hill, Korn, Limp Bizkit,

holy hell. I'll confess to liking a couple LB songs. But most of what I listed there and much much more is the toxic waste of music.

Mumford, Lumineers, etc.

I think of that genre as 'fake rustic power folk'. The Lumineers, for example, are from urban New Jersey (though they live in CO) and their country image is basically a complete fabrication. Mumford is a little more legit, though their stuff is all starting to sound identical to me.

Punk rock, in general. Least as far as I can tell.

I think of that genre as 'fake rustic power folk'. The Lumineers, for example, are from urban New Jersey (though they live in CO) and their country image is basically a complete fabrication. Mumford is a little more legit, though their stuff is all starting to sound identical to me.

Didn't M&S quit, or go on hiatus or something?

Some of you guys are classing genres as 'short lived' even though they were around for a few years.

Like Grunge/Boy Bands/Nu-metal.

If that time period lets those bands release around 3 solid selling albums i wouldn't class that short term.

Remember even great genres usually only last a decade at most.
Grunge took up almost half of the mid 90's.

Short lived:
1 guy-girl/1 acoustic guitar singer-songwriter crap.

Ska, real emo, fake emo (simple plan).

That whole garage rock 60's revival type style where the guitars weren't distorted.
(The Strokes, The Hives)

Hopefully this indie/bonnaroo festival (oh look we have a fiddle/violin we're different) fad will die soon.

Oh and generic dubstep/EDM that doesn't hold a candle to late 90's like Chemical Bros/Fatboy Slim/ATB/Darude.

Whats wrong with Volbeat? They have a few good tunes. Kind of remind me of Elvis meets Metallica.

TS, it just sounds like you're naming one or two hit wonders.

I'm hoping all this fake, mainstream "americana, indie" music goes away. I'm tired of hearing it on car insurance commercials.

And dub step. Shit is awful. No one I know that listens to electronic music listens to dub step. Seems to be mostly juggalos and metal heads listening to it from my personal experience.

TS, it just sounds like you're naming one or two hit wonders.

I'm hoping all this fake, mainstream "americana, indie" music goes away. I'm tired of hearing it on car insurance commercials.

And dub step. Shit is awful. No one I know that listens to electronic music listens to dub step. Seems to be mostly juggalos and metal heads listening to it from my personal experience.

Nobody I know, that listens to music, listens to any electronic music. Because it's fucking gay.

Back