• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movie trilogies that get better with each film

Before the 4th and 5th movies came out many years later you could make a case of Rurouni Kenshin part 3 being the best of out of the 3 films.

View attachment 1009343
Would not have believed that anyone on Sherdog would have taste enough to post this trilogy, so hat's off to you, Sir.

These movies really are amazing, for those not in the know: each movie is set 9 years apart (and filmed 9 years apart too) and we drop in on a 90 minutes in the lives of Jesse and Celine: mid 20'ies when they meet for the first time, early 30ies in the sequel and early 40'ies in Before Midnight.

There are hardly any other characters, it's just them talking, relating to each other, experiencing life and we follow them around. The second one (Before Sunset) is probably my personal favourite, but the third really is a masterpiece, though it shatters the romantic fantasy.

The last two basically take place in real time and the chemistry between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy is off the charts: unmatched in the history of cinema. Watch them with your wives or girlfriends, sherdoggers, highly recommended.

Cheers for the recommendation. I've never even remotely heard of these movies. Sounds interesting.

Comic and Batman nerds will hate me, but Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is my answer. I'd have to rewatch the Before films, because I only saw the third one once, but it's a contender. The Dark Knight trilogy, though, I think that Nolan topped himself each time.

Police Story

This trilogy is like the Scream and Die Hard trilogies: The second installment is the weak link so that they go 1, 3, 2. But Scream, Die Hard, and Police Story are all the best of their respective trilogies IMO.

Then there's the Bourne trilogy and the Indiana Jones trilogy, where I have them both 3, 1, 2. And then there's the Man with No Name trilogy, where I have it 2, 3, 1.

The X Trilogy is trending that way, I hope they nail the landing.

MV5BMTJiMmE5YWItOWZjYS00YTg0LWE0MTYtMzg2ZTY4YjNkNDEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAzMDg4NzU0._V1_.jpg

Pearl_theatricalposter.jpg

Major League is what immediately comes to my mind

This trilogy is like the Scream and Die Hard trilogies: The second installment is the weak link so that they go 1, 3, 2. But Scream, Die Hard, and Police Story are all the best of their respective trilogies IMO.
With Police Story it's always fascinating for me that the second and first films are so similar that i often forget which scene is from which movie except for the most important key scenes. They blend together in my mind.

Cheers for the recommendation. I've never even remotely heard of these movies. Sounds interesting.

This is a scene from the first one. Whether or not this is your kind of movie, you have to admit this is very well done.

Already got it in my cart at Amazon.

Enjoy, sherbro! The first is good, but the second and third are great, imo. They are vastly different from most other movies you are likely to see and well worth it for that alone.

Star wars, empire strikes back, return of the Jedi. As a kid based on my watch time I probably watched Jedi the most then empire then the original. I'll go with this

Star Wars 1-3? Can’t remember the 3rd movie is my main thing. Second was better to me at least.

i`m sure many would say rambo or rocky, though rambo 1 is hard to beat

This is a scene from the first one. Whether or not this is your kind of movie, you have to admit this is very well done.

I don't get that scene at all. And I don't get what's supposed to make it good. The movies sounded interesting but I can't sit through 3 movies of that.

With Police Story it's always fascinating for me that the second and first films are so similar that i often forget which scene is from which movie except for the most important key scenes. They blend together in my mind.

Hmm, for me I know 1 and 3 front to back but 2 is just the two set-pieces, first in the park and second with the "abba" guy. I never remember the actual plot or narrative beats of 2.

i`m sure many would say rambo or rocky, though rambo 1 is hard to beat

Those people would be mistaken. For the first three Rocky films, I have it 3, 1, 2. For the original Rambo trilogy, I have it 1, 2, 3. In neither case does each subsequent film top the prior film, and in the Rambo films it's literally the opposite, with each film just a bit lower than the previous film. 1 and 2 are all-timers, and I wouldn't fight that hard if someone wanted to rank 2 over 1, but anyone who thinks that Rambo III is better than both 1 and 2 is out of their fucking mind.

I wouldn't fight that hard if someone wanted to rank 2 over 1, but anyone who thinks that Rambo III is better than both 1 and 2 is out of their fucking mind.
I definitely disagree. Spin kick noose neck break grenade blow up must be one of the best fight scene finishes of all times.

Back