• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Movie scenes that changed acting forever.

Out of these 3 scenes - Which changed acting the most?

• Daniel Day-Lewis - My Left Foot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is just my personal opinion.

Marlon Brando - A Streetcar Named Desire

His naturalistic acting in this made every other major actor pale in comparison with their theatrical and embellish styles.

Robert De Niro - Raging Bull

The rawness and nakedness of his emotions was to real, I don't think anyone seen anything like this film before it was something to behold.

Daniel Day-Lewis - My Left Foot

It's a miracle that he even pulled this off, he actually did it one take. I don't think anyone seen commitment before DDL came to screen in this film.

I expect you meant this thread to be about great performances, but this scene set the new low point not just in acting, but filmmaking in general.

I'd say Billy Bob Thornton in sling blade.

Lots of people played retards before but he brought so much nuance to that character. The way he walks, the way he holds things, the way he blinks, and that's not even counting the distortion of his face without makeup. The guy is completely unrecognizable.

I actually think Marty's most important film in terms of influence on cinema and acting was Mean Streets,...

Maybe you could say Cassavetes had done some similar stuff in terms of loose improvised very naturalistic performances but Mean Streets got a far larger audience.

Not sure I could put it down to any one scene but Mifune in Yojimbo is I think the most copied performance in cinema history, endless cool funny anti heroes.

I mean the amount of people that have cited Brando (including DeNiro) is massive, kind of like The Beatles of actors.

Jaws, Gladiator, Godfather, Goodfellas, Die Hard

Brando’s performance is said to have changed the tone of Hollywood movies from the kind of over the top drama (“this is me acting!”) style of acting to a more realistic, raw style where you believe the person really is that character and they feel everything you’re seeing.

I think what turned it back around (or at least brought the old style back a bit) was Arnold’s string of 80’s hits, hard to say which was most important. It became OK to exaggerate again, in a sense.

In cinema you need charisma to get butts in the seats. Yes, dramatic talent is great and will get actors jobs in plays but it’s not how you build a global industry imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuralAttacker25
Back