• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Apparently Gokhan Saki fought in the UFC??

He fought (and lost) to Khalil Rountree on the main card UFC 226.

Why didn't I know this

He never pops up in the "greatest UFC strikers of all time" discussions where people regularly mention Art Jimmerson and Maurice Smith

Khalil sent him to the shadow realm, it wasn't what I expected of his debut...he was old though.

He never pops up in the "greatest UFC strikers of all time" discussions
He failed to adapt his kickboxing style to MMA effectively.

Not every kickboxer can adapt to the small subtle intricacies of MMA striking.

Since when is Rountree some bum striker? He trained in Thailand and has tons of KOs in UFC
Roundtree isn’t championship material, but he has legit striking and could flatline almost anyone given the opportunity.

I remember this fight. there was hype behind saki but he was also old at that point. Jimi Manuwa is another fighter I recall having lots of hype and ultimately falling short.

Yea it was only two fights and ended catastrophically for him. But there was insane hype over his UFC debut. Many thought he would adapt to mma quick and be a force.

Well....he wasn't.

I agree after K1, but what else was there before 1993 outside Asia?
Kickboxing was never big in America. It's like winning ping pong or sumo championship in America. Respectfully Mo Smith was not a world champion even though his belts might suggest he is.

It's just the way the sport was set up internationally. I am not trying to put him down but he isn't the most decorated high level striker to fight in the UFC.

Last edited:
He made it in the video game too years ago
Which one? System? Maybe that's teh only reason he signed, so he could be used in the game. I played a few mma games and always just did the striking matches. On the ps2 pride game I made a bunch of people that weren't in the game. It took a long time. People I knew back then liked the ones I made enough to copy them so they could use em on their console.

He had two ufc fights iirc.

He scored a late first round ko over that Frankenstein Brazilian dude. But honestly was getting lit up in that fight too.

Then roundtree finishes him standing in 95 seconds.

Underwhelming for sure. But I still tuned in to watch him fight.

Khalil sent him to the shadow realm, it wasn't what I expected of his debut...he was old though.
That was his second fight, he debuted at UFC Japan against Da Silva

Even here before the finish he was getting lit up after getting hurt with an elbow, sign of things to come. Sucks Gokan had so many miles on him before transitioning. Sick double hook combo here though.
Gokan had to die so that Poatan could live

That was his second fight, he debuted at UFC Japan against Da Silva

Even here before the finish he was getting lit up after getting hurt with an elbow, sign of things to come. Sucks Gokan had so many miles on him before transitioning. Sick double hook combo here though.
Gokan had to die so that Poatan could live

Oh shit thats right, I fuckin forgot all about that fight.
That finish though, he could bomb.

Which one? System? Maybe that's teh only reason he signed, so he could be used in the game. I played a few mma games and always just did the striking matches. On the ps2 pride game I made a bunch of people that weren't in the game. It took a long time. People I knew back then liked the ones I made enough to copy them so they could use em on their console.
PS4 and Xbox One and pretty sure he was in two games - UFC 3 and also 4

Gokhan Saki was the biggest kickboxer that entered UFC but he was too old when he came to this game.
Alex is not even close to Saki's level in terms of kickboxing

He was way past his prime and mileage when came to the UFC.

Kickboxing was never big in America. It's like winning ping pong or sumo championship in America. Respectfully Mo Smith was not a world champion even though his belts might suggest he is.

It's just the way the sport was set up internationally. I am not trying to put him down but he isn't the most decorated high level striker to fight in the UFC.
Sumo and ping pong made me lol

Back