• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Apparently Gokhan Saki fought in the UFC??

He fought (and lost) to Khalil Rountree on the main card UFC 226.

Why didn't I know this

He never pops up in the "greatest UFC strikers of all time" discussions where people regularly mention Art Jimmerson and Maurice Smith

He was never in the "Greatest UFC strikers of all time" discussions because his MMA striking sucked.

He just tried to strike in MMA like he did in Kickboxing, and it didn't work. His style isn't made to just translate over 1:1 to MMA.

I mean, the one guy he did beat was a brazilian bum who had him hurt on the feet at one point.

Do Overoid, Cro Cop, Kongo, Valentina and Izzy not count?
They do, but even then Saki has a better resume than any of them.

Dude was Glory LHW champ, Glory LHW tournament champ, K-1 HW grand prix winner, 2003 World Muay Thai champ, 2002 Europe Muay Thai champ, and 2001 Dutch Muay Thai champ.

yeah unfortunately he got KO'd by roundtree jr.

but in his first fight he looked SICKKK

yeah and? It doesn't make Saki any less decorated as a kick boxer.
He looked terrible in his first fight lmao

Was getting lit up by a Brazilian can before landing a hail mary

I'd like to think he clarified what he meant when he said

just like the most decorated boxer is james toney, but did you see him against randy?
Not sure why you're speaking on behalf of another poster. He said "greatest UFC striker". It's laughable to bring up Saki.

They do, but even then Saki has a better resume than any of them.

Dude was Glory LHW champ, Glory LHW tournament champ, K-1 HW grand prix winner, 2003 World Muay Thai champ, 2002 Europe Muay Thai champ, and 2001 Dutch Muay Thai champ.
I have never been a big fan of the dude and its a fact he had his best years in a weaker KB era. That being said, he was totally out of his prime when he fought in the UFC, thats another fact.

Not sure why you're speaking on behalf of another poster. He said "greatest UFC striker". It's laughable to bring up Saki.
There are two ways to interpret what I said.

1. The greatest striker who ever fought in the UFC, based on their UFC fights.
2. The greatest striker who ever fought in the UFC, based on their overall striking accomplishments.

You're intentionally ignoring any other possible interpretation than No.1, even though everyone else can clearly figure out that I mean No.2.

Why didn't I know this

He never pops up in the "greatest UFC strikers of all time" discussions where people regularly mention Art Jimmerson and Maurice Smith
James Toney also fought in the UFC, why doesn't the UFC talk about him as the greatest UFC boxer of all time

<Fedor23>

UFC is the real deal
Most K1 guys get the notorious and legendary Octagon Jitters when they enter the Apex

James Toney also fought in the UFC, why doesn't the UFC talk about him as the greatest UFC boxer of all time

<Fedor23>

People literally do say James Toney every time the topic comes up

This thread exposes how dumb so many posters on this forum are.

"He lost to Roundtree, this means Saki sucks and K-1 striking sucks."
🥴🤡🐀

Saki became a pro fighter in 2003 and landed in the UFC in 2017 and had 81 fights at the highest level of Heavyweight kickboxing by then. While Poatan was getting starched by little K-1 Max guys like Kyshenko and getting outclassed by MW Artem Levin in Glory, Saki was fighting the best HW kickboxers in the world and taking insane damage and mileage from fights with guys like Ubereem, Badr Hari, Daniel Ghita, Tyron Spong, Peter Aerts, Ruslan Karaev, Ray Sefo and Ignashov.

Saki was absolutely washed up by the time he got to the UFC and blew his knees out trying to adjust his game to MMA and retired.

Your average shertard lacks the critical thinking to take these things into account. Smh.
Saki was consistently posting about making a UFC comeback for a few years after that Rountree fight but kind of faded away
Gökhan Saki actually fought one more time after his loss to Rountree.
The Turkish “Rebel” returned to Kickboxing and beat up fellow veteran James McSweeney at GLORY Collision 3: Rico Verhoeven vs Jamal Ben Saddik, in October 2021.
I attended that fight/event, great atmosphere :)

Because he wasn't that great when he got to the UFC. And you can't just copy and paste his past accomplishments onto his MMA/UFC record and claim they apply to UFC greatness.

Fairly high profile signing. I don't follow kickboxing, but knew of him figuring in the UFC. He has an awesome name 🤷🏼

People did hype him up when he signed, but he didn't even look that great in the fight he won against a can on a 3 fight skid, even though he did get the KO, and then got KO'd in like a minute against Rountree, then left. People don't mention him in "the greatest UFC strikers of all time" because he wasn't, he was a great K1/Glory striker that didn't translate well to MMA.

Why didn't I know this

His UFC career was very disapointing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RBG
Back