Most promising potential - Conor McGregor or Khabib Nurmagomedov?

Both very talented, connor dresses and talks like a clown so its hard to root for him. Id go with Khabib

Also, add much higher striking accuracy for Conor as well. This is so obvious I wasn't even going to mention it but it's very important to tack on to the list. Khabib is great, he's just not the athlete or amazing striker that Conor is. Khabib really thinks he's ready for Pettis? He's far from it. Not until he gets much better striking defense and really improves his own striking (Sambo-based or not, it's ugly and not technically sound). Sambo-based striking won't cut it in the UFC, especially in the lower weight divisions where technique > power. In the bigger divisions it will because all you need is 1, maybe 2 big punches (Russian Hooks / Sambo Casting punches for guys like Fedor, Igor V. etc) and the fight is over. Smaller fighters are faster and technique is more important there, Sambo striking just won't cut it. For grappling it certainly will though in MMA.

He beat the shit out of Holloway. He was tagging him left and right, taking his time too. He wanted to show that he can do more than just strike, he showed he has a ground game. You act like Holloway was getting the better of him in the standup which is why he had to take him down. :icon_lol: Conor tore his ACL (a complete tear), sprained his MCL and also hurt his Meniscus after trying to pull his leg out of Holloway's half guard. Most men wouldn't be able to stand, let alone finish a fight. He was able to do this and kicked Holloway's ass, easily. His striking is some of the most vicious (and most technically sound in the sport), his boxing especially. Why else do you think people are so high on him and all of the striking experts, analysts and any non-biased fighter agrees? He has serious KO power, awesome timing, great footwork, movement, athleticism, conditioning, speed and striking. Argue it until you're blue in the face though.

If he had such threatening power, why didn't he drop or seriously hurt Holloway when he was "tagging him left and right"? You don't even make sense. Also, it's fucking Max Holloway. You act as if he's racked up top 10 wins already, when he clearly hasn't fought anyone CLOSE to elite. His striking is the best in the sport? Based off of knocking out Marcus fucking Brimage? Give me a break. You are basing all of this off of performances against low-tier fighters. Give him Lentz and I guarantee you he's going to lose a lopsided UD.

Also, add much higher striking accuracy for Conor as well. This is so obvious I wasn't even going to mention it but it's very important to tack on to the list. Khabib is great, he's just not the athlete or amazing striker that Conor is. Khabib really thinks he's ready for Pettis? He's far from it. Not until he gets much better striking defense and really improves his own striking (Sambo-based or not, it's ugly and not technically sound). Sambo-based striking won't cut it in the UFC, especially in the lower weight divisions where technique > power. In the bigger divisions it will because all you need is 1, maybe 2 big punches (Russian Hooks / Sambo Casting punches for guys like Fedor, Igor V. etc) and the fight is over. Smaller fighters are faster and technique is more important there, Sambo striking just won't cut it. For grappling it certainly will though in MMA.

I don't know where to start addressing that mess. But to cut to the gist of it, you are focussing to much on striking. One aspect of MMA does not define the fighter, and if you are elite in other aspects you can make up for it. Conor may have better striking, khabib has better grappling and overall a better game for this sport.

If he had such threatening power, why didn't he drop or seriously hurt Holloway when he was "tagging him left and right"? You don't even make sense. Also, it's fucking Max Holloway. You act as if he's racked up top 10 wins already, when he clearly hasn't fought anyone CLOSE to elite. His striking is the best in the sport? Based off of knocking out Marcus fucking Brimage? Give me a break. You are basing all of this off of performances against low-tier fighters. Give him Lentz and I guarantee you he's going to lose a lopsided UD.

His striking is powerful and very technically sound (again, his boxing is his strongest point). Holloway was running away most of the fight so there's that. He was taking his time with Holloway and wanted to show his full game. He was also seriously fucking injured. Holloway also has a good chin on him and has never been knocked out. Conor was peppering him with hard shots and was leading basically the whole fight, showing off flashy kicks and stuff more than anything. Conor can lead and counter well but he's definitely far better at countering (like Machida and Anderson are). Learn about the art of striking before you knock his. You're clearly a hater of Conor's and have been for a while. You don't have to beat elite guys in the division to know when a guy is very gifted and dangerous to the rest of the division. I knew Alex Gustafsson was quite likely that guy before he even beat Thiago Silva.

on to the list. Khabib is great, he's just not the athlete or amazing striker that Conor is. Khabib really thinks he's ready for Pettis?

Conor left his chin open all fight long.

Also where do you get the idea, conor has better cardio. Khabib out healyd healy.

Thats some rugged bad man stuff right there.

His striking is powerful and very technically sound (again, his boxing is his strongest point). Holloway was running away most of the fight so there's that. He was taking his time with Holloway and wanted to show his full game. He was also seriously fucking injured. Holloway also has a good chin on him and has never been knocked out. Conor was peppering him with hard shots and was leading basically the whole fight, showing off flashy kicks and stuff more than anything. Conor can lead and counter well but he's definitely far better at countering (like Machida and Anderson are). Learn about the art of striking before you knock his. You're clearly a hater of Conor's and have been for a while. You don't have to beat elite guys in the division to know when a guy is very gifted and dangerous to the rest of the division. I knew Alex Gustafsson was quite likely that guy before he even beat Thiago Silva.
He was taking his time with Holloway and wanted to show his full game? Are you fucking kidding me? This sort of delusional can only be seen on Sherdog. He got injured like mid-way through the fight. If he was so dangerous and lethal, why didn't he take Holloway out in the first round while he was "tagging him left and right"? Also, I seem to recall you saying that there is "no chance" that Holloway goes 3 rounds with McGregor lol

I don't hate Conor, it's just he hasn't shown to be nearly as good as you make him out to be.

Conor left his chin open all fight long.

Also where do you get the idea, conor has better cardio. Khabib out healyd healy.

Thats some rugged bad man stuff right there.

Khabib was definitely slowing down and gassing against Healy. Leaping in to try and land every punch for a couple rounds will do that to even a fighter with great cardio (ask Rogan, he already said the same thing during the commentary). Conor leaves his chin open and gets away with it because he has the footwork and striking defensive maneuvers to make it more or less a non-factor against strikers not as skilled as he is. What next? Conor always keeps his hands down and will get KTFO'd really soon!! This has already been covered too and been debunked. While it's riskier, there are benefits to doing it - different punch trajectory from different angles, less telegraphing if any + better for TDD because you can secure underhooks immediately when being shot on. Conor knows what he's doing.

He was taking his time with Holloway and wanted to show his full game? Are you fucking kidding me? This sort of delusional can only be seen on Sherdog. He got injured like mid-way through the fight. If he was so dangerous and lethal, why didn't he take Holloway out in the first round while he was "tagging him left and right"?

Did you miss the part where I said he wanted to show his full game (he said this himself before the fight). Getting badly injured like Conor was midway through the fight is the only reason Holloway made it all 3 rounds. Nobody had ever went to decision with Conor up until then, coincidence? No, he was hurt and that's exactly why Holloway was able to go the distance. He was lighting Holloway up and doing it easily dude. Get off the haterade already. He won, easily, move on.

Also, I seem to recall you saying that there is "no chance" that Holloway goes 3 rounds with McGregor lol

Blowing out your entire fucking knee tends to change those types of predictions "lol". Conor had a 100% finish rate (almost all by T/KO) going into this fight and had already shown how dangerous he is prior to the UFC and in his UFC debut.

I don't hate Conor, it's just he hasn't shown to be nearly as good as you make him out to be.

You've been a hater of his since day 1 and your post history suggests otherwise. I've never said anything about Khabib except great things (check MY post history on him), however, he's not as athletic as Conor (this will limit Khabib going forward) and Conor stands out a lot more in terms of tactical and technical brilliance. Conor already has developed good TDD, once he gets it to great level then what will Khabib or any other great grappler do then? They won't be able to take him down, at least not often/frequently, and they're not guaranteed to be able to hold him down either. Alexander Gustafsson just proved all of this against Jones and, like Conor, he never wrestled in HS or college. Their movement and footwork along with their athleticism will help them out big time with stuffing attempted takedowns. Alex isn't just the exception to the rule here. He may've been training wrestling for years since starting MMA (Alex) but, as DelFierro said, his footwork and movement are what stopped Jones from even being able to setup his takedowns. I called that shit long ago. You can find it in my post history, be my guest.

Did you miss the part where I said he wanted to show his full game (he said this himself before the fight). Getting badly injured like Conor was midway through the fight is the only reason Holloway made it all 3 rounds. Nobody had ever went to decision with Conor up until then, coincidence? No, he was hurt and that's exactly why Holloway was able to go the distance. He was lighting Holloway up and doing it easily dude. Get off the haterade already. He won, easily, move on.

Blowing out your entire fucking knee tends to change those types of predictions "lol". Conor had a 100% finish rate (almost all by T/KO) going into this fight and had already shown how dangerous he is prior to the UFC and in his UFC debut.

You've been a hater of his since day 1 and your post history suggests otherwise. I've never said anything about Khabib except great things (check MY post history on him), however, he's not as athletic as Conor (this will limit Khabib going forward) and Conor stands out a lot more in terms of tactical and technical brilliance. Conor already has developed good TDD, once he gets it to great level then what will Khabib or any other great grappler do then? They won't be able to take him down, at least not often/frequently, and they're not guaranteed to be able to hold him down either. Alexander Gustafsson just proved all of this against Jones and, like Conor, he never wrestled in HS or college. Their movement and footwork along with their athleticism will help them out big time with stuffing attempted takedowns. Alex isn't just the exception to the rule here. He may've been training wrestling for years since starting MMA (Alex) but, as DelFierro said, his footwork and movement are what stopped Jones from even being able to setup his takedowns. I called that shit long ago. You can find it in my post history, be my guest.

Watch out. Redhawks is about to see your sig and call you a bitter fedor fan. :D

Khabib

Not even close

Khabib has the proven track record so I have to give it to him. I don't know if I'd even call him a prospect at this point. But I honestly think that McGregor is going to be something special, all hype and hater bullshit aside.
This man can see the future.

This is the first time that i've checked Conor's record. He actually lost two times in less than a minute.
I was expecting that a cocky guy like him would be 15-0 at this point, T_T, fuck me!

CHAMP CHAMP.

Khabib takes the vote. I don't believe Conor will fare well against a tough wrestler with good striking.

giphy.gif

tumblr_nribwo5ddf1qedt5eo1_500.gif

A guy who has done very well in the UFC and beaten Healy, or a guy who has KO'd a bunch of cans and has a dipshit cult following on Sherdog?

Pop.jpg

Khabib. I like Conor way more, but I honestly think Khabib could take the current champ in his weight-class, and there's no way Conor could say the same.

5f4017ccd1551383551c343666c263ce.gif

Yeah, his striking is so vicious that he had to take Max Holloway down.

Dude, are you Conor's father or something? You talk him up so much, yet he only has 2 wins in the UFC over fighters that aren't close to elite.

Aldo, Holloway, Alvarez, Diaz, Poirier.

Conor is the goat.
Future titleholder of two belts - fw + lw.

Damn straight.

giphy.gif

EDIT: Shit, this is a hundred year old topic.

Best thing about these threads is seeing the turds of yesteryear who have since been banned.

Back