Most lifters are still beginners, Rippetoe Article

Cereal? :)

My point is that if you are comparing mythologies in terms of "bad-assedness", then greek mythology deserves to be considered. I mean, besides dudes like that one, they had boxing, wrestling and MMA as events in their olympic games.

Are you reffering to pankration as MMA?

Really? :)

My point is that if you are comparing mythologies in terms of "bad-assedness", then greek mythology deserves to be considered. I mean, besides dudes like that one, they had boxing, wrestling and MMA as events in their olympic games (and none of that weight-division bs!).

Fair point. And Greek or Norse mythology is way cooler than pre-Christian Celtic; that shit makes about as much sense as Scientology...:rolleyes:

jesus struggled to carry a cross. atleast hercules looks like he did his deadlifts and squats

Man after I read this post I tried to find a vid from the last Hercules movie where Herc was squatting his horse. Couldnt find it though. Anyone else seen that?

Are you reffering to pankration as MMA?

Yes. I didn't think anyone would recognize it if I just used the name "pankration".

Really? :)

My point is that if you are comparing mythologies in terms of "bad-assedness", then greek mythology deserves to be considered. I mean, besides dudes like that one, they had boxing, wrestling and MMA as events in their olympic games (and none of that weight-division bs!).

Lol I wasn't sure if that's what you were trying to say or not.

But yeah, Greek mythology was pretty cool. Hercules kicked ass. But ancient Greeks also did some pretty messed up shit. And not just war+rape+pillage like the Norse.

Yes. I didn't think anyone would recognize it if I just used the name "pankration".

You could have used the literal translation: All Powers(Smug Mode: Engage!:icon_chee)

Lol I wasn't sure if that's what you were trying to say or not.

But yeah, Greek mythology was pretty cool. Hercules kicked ass. But ancient Greeks also did some pretty messed up shit. And not just war+rape+pillage like the Norse.

Lol!

That's a long discussion though. Different cultural circumstances.

For instance, let's assume that Achilles and Patroclus were lovers on top of bff's (and there is a lack of consensus even among ancient greek scholars about this possibility). That still didn't stop him from kidnapping and raping young virgins. And scaring on his own the entire enemy army into hiding behind the city walls is a pretty manly badass thing to do regardless!

Lol!

That's a long discussion though. Different cultural circumstances.

For instance, let's assume that Achilles and Patroclus were lovers on top of bff's (and there is a lack of consensus even among ancient greek scholars about this possibility). That still didn't stop him from kidnapping and raping young virgins. And scaring on his own the entire enemy army into hiding behind the city walls is a pretty manly badass thing to do regardless!

Manly and badass indeed.

Ok so I go to work out come back to find naked men and a religious discussion brewing in the once healthy thread plus I might just be high, but did someone call rip a nazi?

Ps congrats on the blue belt knight, commence talking shit on white belts you earned it

Last edited:
Ok so I go to work out come back to find naked men and a religious discussion brewing in the once healthy thread plus I might just be high, but did someone call rip a nazi?

You're right:

Three possiblities:
1) He finds Norse stuff cool.
2) He is a Norse Pagan
3) He is a racist (Neo-nazis love Norse things because they feel the Norse where an example of Strong White People).

Godwin's law, you lose.

...and some people thought we didn't need a Pub anymore.

There is a maximum cap on the amount of muscle a person (even a teen) can pack on (something like 1/2 a pound a week with a 500 kcal surplus each day).

This is a garbage statistic. I'm 35 and have put on 10 lbs in the last 2 weeks and I promise you more than 1 pound of that was muscle.

Right, think a few people misunderstood me. My fault, I cut it short because I was short on time. Lifting and the nutrition associated with it should never be dealt with in absolutes, they're are many people who have gifted genetics, fast metabolisms etc etc.

But, I think Rip should have at least added that a lifter needs to know enough to judge his/her reaction to eating big (and/or clean). Seeing as a large percentage of these novices happen to be teens. Might save a few from getting huge (and fat) then turning around and whining, probably the same people who think no-xplode is good shit.

Hammers and cooler than crosses anyway.

tl/dr but from a quick skim and judging by the titles, I'm guessing you agree with the 0.5 lbs/week assertion. It's too exlusive and doesn't take into account a number of variables. For example, I was doing strictly strength training until about June and had put on over 20 pounds. I switched to strictly cardio and dropped 12. I switched back to strictly strength training two weeks ago and have put on 10-12 pounds. Are you suggesting that there's something wrong with my scale, that the entire weight gain is fat and water, or did I misunderstand your point?

Right, think a few people misunderstood me. My fault, I cut it short because I was short on time. Lifting and the nutrition associated with it should never be dealt with in absolutes, they're are many people who have gifted genetics, fast metabolisms etc etc.

The exclusivity of the statement is what bothered me. It seemed to disregard possible exceptions with the "even teens" comment.

But, I think Rip should have at least added that a lifter needs to know enough to judge his/her reaction to eating big (and/or clean). Seeing as a large percentage of these novices happen to be teens. Might save a few from getting huge (and fat) then turning around and whining, probably the same people who think no-xplode is good shit.

I agree with this and have always thought he was in above his head with regard to nutrition advice.

Brb, gaining over 1 pound of muscle in two weeks while not being a complete newb.

Hammers and cooler than crosses anyway.

I suspect that a very small percentage of Rip's audience is actually teens. He probably has a good reputation for training teens in Wichita Falls, but his internet fame is largely in an adult population (many of whom wish they'd found Rip when they were teens).

I've yet to see a teenager post on any board "Hey, I followed this Starting Strength program by Rippetoe, ate a ton of food, and got fat. Can someone help me??"

Back