Most lifters are still beginners, Rippetoe Article

I'd say that the muscles increased in mass, but probably mostly from increased water weight. Like how you might differentiate between someone who has more sarcoplasmic or myofibrilar hypertrophy. There isn't a practical way to measure how much gain is what, so it's still gaining muscle....but that doesn't mean we can't take the method used to gain muscle and throw in an asterisk* that say it's due to increased hydration, and not due to hypertrophy of muscle fibers, or sarcoplasm.

Unless you have a way to measure muscle gain, which takes into account how hydrated the muscles are, or the amount of glycogen stored in them.

cant use an asterisk(*), those are used only for steroids and baseball...

I'd say that the muscles increased in mass, but probably mostly from increased water weight. Like how you might differentiate between someone who has more sarcoplasmic or myofibrilar hypertrophy. There isn't a practical way to measure how much gain is what, so it's still gaining muscle....but that doesn't mean we can't take the method used to gain muscle and throw in an asterix* that say it's due to increased hydration, and not due to hypertrophy of muscle fibers, or sarcoplasm.

Unless you have a way to measure muscle gain, which takes into account how hydrated the muscles are, or the amount of glycogen stored in them.

I am not aware of a way to measure the contractile and structural muscle tissue (although I haven't really studied about lab measurements).

As a matter of fact, that is, in a way, some sort of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, since the extra molecules of creatine and water are stored inside the sarcoplasm. But on the other side, the muscles increased in mass but they didn't grow.

In any case, I really don't give a fuck about arguments on semantics any more. Who the fuck cares how much muscle mass you put on? What matters is your speed, strength, endurance, explosiveness and total body weight. And unless you are actively competing in a sport with weight divisions, even BF% measurements are for pussies.

I am not aware of a way to measure the contractile and structural muscle tissue (although I haven't really studied about lab measurements).

As a matter of fact, that is, in a way, some sort of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, since the extra molecules of creatine and water are stored inside the sarcoplasm. But on the other side, the muscles increased in mass but they didn't grow.

In any case, I really don't give a fuck about arguments on semantics any more. Who the fuck cares how much muscle mass you put on? What matters is your speed, strength, endurance, explosiveness and total body weight. And unless you are actively competing in a sport with weight divisions, even BF% measurements are for pussies.

I'll agree with that.

i might suggest that one should take some measurements, calculate some relationships, and watch how they change over time.

thigh/waist ratio should go up

shoulder to waist ration should go up

bicep to waist ratio should go up.

If this is happening, then eat more.

If this is not happening, then eat less or become more active outside the gym.

Back