Monthly food budget

I don't understand how an adult can only spend $200-$250 a month on groceries. Do you guys eat ramen noodles all week?

Never really calculated how much I spend on food because I eat out often but if I were to spend it only on groceries my guess would be $100 per week?
I generally spend about $60 a week on groceries..so that's 240 a month.
I don't eat red meat often
Beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, chicken, eggs, fish, and vegetables don't cost much.
I also dont eat much junk food or soft drinks, and things like that usually drive up the bill I think.

about $300. I eat about a pound of meat with some potatoes or rice. A sandwhich using yesterdays meat, oats flavored with maple syrup and eggs with hash browns. Ill also eat pieces of chocolate throughout the day.

What are my Sherbros food budgets for a month?

For myself I've been trying to save money and even this month my bill will be around $300. And this is with me cutting a bunch of shit out. Making pasta to eat for the entire week. Buying cheap ass pork chops instead of steak. Some fruit and yogurt. Eggs. No junk food.

I see all these articles of people doing $150 a month food budget and there is no fucking way you can get that low without eating awful food.

I don't get it. How can people go that low?

I typically spend 250 a month just to feed myself, despite my best efforts to keep it under 200. My main problem is that I'm lactose intolerant, so I buy soy milk, which I love, but it's like 8 fucking dollars a gallon and I go through about 3 gallons a week. So I'm spending roughly 75 dollars a month just on fucking soy milk. Stupid, I know, but It's so good and it helps hit my macro needs just right.

I've switched to store brand versions of a lot of foods, but I just can't seem to cut the price down more. Maybe the people that can spend 150 a month are manlets who require 1/3rd the calories of us 6'5 jacked sherdoggers. I don't know how else they could feed themselves with only 150 a month.

damn, what do you guys eat on 200/300 a month... If i really watch my money I can scrape by with 15 euros a day, eating stuff I mostly rather not eat. I'd say around 20/25 a day.

I eat lots of

oats: I make my own granola cereal with oats/seeds/ almonds, raisins, and I use natural sweetener like honey or Maple syrup. I'll have it as cereal with soy milk, or i'll have it on top of some greek yogurt. I think it adds up to be cheaper than normal cereal (i'm not sure, though), but it's definitely healthier, so fuck it.

I make fruit smoothies: banana, mixed frozen berries, kale, greek yogurt, soy milk, chia seeds.

I eat a ton of beans and legumes with grains: rice and beans with some salsa/avocado. Some mexican style quinoa with beans and corn. Bean soup. Lentil soups. Chickpea curry...the options are endless

Eggs on toast is always good.

Pastas....

Yes, I'm a vegetarian. Don't hate me sherdog. Anyways, it's all about buying in bulk really. Still, I'd like to get my monthly food bill close to 200 (it's closer to 250 at the moment)

Last edited:
Let me think? I'm single, really only eat 2 meals a day, and grill most meals. $300-350 a month? That includes snacks, Pepsi and alcohol. I have a pretty decent meal menu usually of chicken,steak,pork,pasta, ham steak, or burgers for main dishes, with the occasional hot dogs/lunch meat/chicken patty/grilled cheese sandwich type meals or tv dinners like buffalo chicken mac'n cheese . Then a side composed of rice,potatoes,salad,veggie mix ect.

My wife does the shopping so I have no idea but with the way my kids eat it's a lot.

About £60 a week
I don't eat anything in jars/packets etc, all fresh fruit/veg/meat/fish for me & my Mrs.
Not that I'm religious about being healthy, I just have a lot of food intolerances, easier for me to cook everything fresh
That does evening meals and lunches each day

I've been spending 400-500 lately because I haven't been on a budget, I just buy whatever I feel like. I get my lunch from a diner and usually have 2 cups of hot chocolate for dinner. I need to start eating better but I don't like having to bike with 50lbs of groceries on my back so I haven't been shopping much

Around $300 CDN (so maybe ~$230 USD?) a month, just me. I cook all the time and eat left overs quite a bit. Decent stuff though, stews, pasta, etc. Occasionally I'll do something I like a bit more, like chicken caesar wraps or order a pizza, though I very rarely go out to eat. I'll buy meat on sale and put it in the freezer, look in the store's flyer for deals before I go, stuff like that.

Dude, I spend around $1200 a month at Kroger with a family of 5. This includes pet food, cleaning supplies, beer, etc. though. With having a baby, we rarely, if ever, eat out. So this includes all meals for everyone.

There have been times where I had to make $12 last a week. Thankfully I'm in a much better place now and don't really pay attention to food costs.

I will say that paying significantly more money for high-quality food was one of the hardest "uncomfortable truths" I had to accept.

I live in another country but in a week:

1 whole chicken: ARS 300
12 eggs: ARS 90
Vegetables: ARS 100
Fruit: ARS 50
Some beef: ARS 120
Coffee: ARS 100
Milk: ARS 50
Other stuff/junk food for cheat meals: ARS 150

Total: ARS 960 tops. 1 USD is like 45 ARS so about 21 dollars per week seems accurate. 85 USD per month.

Said that.. the company I´m working provides me lunch so that is a huge help.

About 60 peanut butter n Jelly Sammiches worth.

<28>

damn, what do you guys eat on 200/300 a month... If i really watch my money I can scrape by with 15 euros a day, eating stuff I mostly rather not eat. I'd say around 20/25 a day.
Rice, eggs, Beef, Rainbow Trout Fillets, Carrots,Spinach, Chicken stock, Orange, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, yogurt, milk, whey protein, olive oil. That's literally what i eat every day for about 300-350 a month

I spend like 2k a month on groceries with 3 kids..... Not including eating out.

This ^

I'm 200 bucks a trip to the store × several trips a week.

There has been a noticeable creep up in price in the past year or 2 , also everyone is shrinking their packages. OJ comes in puny 52 oz containers now , and some coffee cos are starting to sell ghey ass 10oz bags. I'm genuinely curious to see where they go with this trend. Are we buying coffee 4 oz at a time in 10 years ?

I eat lots of

oats: I make my own granola cereal with oats/seeds/ almonds, raisins, and I use natural sweetener like honey or Maple syrup. I'll have it as cereal with soy milk, or i'll have it on top of some greek yogurt. I think it adds up to be cheaper than normal cereal (i'm not sure, though), but it's definitely healthier, so fuck it.

I make fruit smoothies: banana, mixed frozen berries, kale, greek yogurt, soy milk, chia seeds.

I eat a ton of beans and legumes with grains: rice and beans with some salsa/avocado. Some mexican style quinoa with beans and corn. Bean soup. Lentil soups. Chickpea curry...the options are endless

Eggs on toast is always good.

Pastas....

Yes, I'm a vegetarian. Don't hate me sherdog. Anyways, it's all about buying in bulk really. Still, I'd like to get my monthly food bill close to 200 (it's closer to 250 at the moment)

Care to expand on vegetarian protein rich staples? If I was to get 4 items that were easy to mix together and with other foods easily what would they be?

I'd love to buy some lentils and make some bean soups but I have no idea where to start.

I'd say I go to a nice upscale restaurant with my gf about once a month on average...probably doordash dinner three times a week on avg...have a hello fresh account for three meals a week...I eat a salad at chick fila almost every day during the week for lunch...then grocery store stuff for when I have my kids (which is less than half the time)...so probably spend between $1,500 and $2k...throw in another $500 or so a month for my grey goose consumption lol...

~$800 for a family of 3.

Smoothies for breakfast are cheap because you can buy most of that stuff in bulk. We're not fancy eaters for the other meals. Chicken, turkey, fish 2x/week, potatoes, sweet potatoes, vegetables. We rarely snack and almost never buy juice or soda.

Back