MMA is the only major sport whose fandom hates the athletes as a class of people

blackheart

Extinction Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
By hate, I don't mean fans dislike specific fighters for particular reasons.
I mean hate as in like, as a category of people.

Yesterday we had a thread about a massively positive development for the well-being of fighters - California has passed legislation to take a tiny % of MMA ticket sales, and put it in a retirement fund for fighters.

Surely this development was met by fans with cheers and celebrations right? Fighters getting benefits? These people who destroy their bodies and brains for our entertainment getting a tiny semblance of long-term security?

WRONG

It's "woke california bs"
It's "libtards gonna libtard"
It's "big gubbmint takin' our money again"

Every time there is a big thread about a fighter's union, half (or more) of the community tears the idea down. How dare fighter's come together to try and get decent treatment and pay! How dare they try and get guaranteed medical treatment! The poor little mom and pop multinational corporation of the UFC can't possibly afford such things!

I do not know what to take away from these sorts of messages from the MMA community, other than that a significant chunk of the fandom, or a small majority, just actually hate the fighters. They want the worst for them. They don't want them to share in a fair amount of the profits that they generate. They don't want them to have medical care. They don't want them to have pensions. If you don't want these things for fighters, you just hate the fighters.

I don't know of any other sports fandom that behaves like this. I don't know of any outrage or backlash from fans, when the NBA, MLB or NFL created players unions. Whenever I see in the news that baseball, basketball or football players have negotiated for some new benefit or upgrade to their contracts, that is it. It's just a news blip announcing that. I don't see any baseball fans going "OMG! Can you believe it Frank?! The MLBPA just negotiated for minimum contracts to be 500k instead of 300k! Disgusting!! What a bunch of woke bs!!"

I just do not get it. Why do you watch a sport where you actively hate the athletes you are watching? It's caveman neanderthal type shit.

I present to you college football fans of the deep south.

55d2250a5806c.image.jpg

I present to you college football fans of the deep south.

55d2250a5806c.image.jpg
Haha true actually. Not wanting athletes to be compensated at all for their work, is pretty draconian. Although it is technically an amateur sport and kinda goes under the umbrella of the NFL as they're both the same sport.

Well, fighting is "caveman neanderthal type shit".

that's probably why.
so is forming teams to represent armies, having a playing field to represent a battlefield, and having 300+ pound men in "armor" crashing into each other again and again for their "army" to move the ball down the "battlefield". But the players still have unions and the fans don't resent that.
and maybe, sure, fighting is caveman shit. but that's not all that fighting is. there's a lot of other higher-minded stuff that goes along with that, at least for the athletes

Might be some shitting on it but I don't think its for hating the athletes or whatever.

I think many question is why is the State taking this up? Never read the Bill but does the fighter have to reside in Cali to utilize this fund? How many fights and at what level to qualify for getting access to this fund? A few bucks from ticket sales isn't going to be very much money so I don't know if the amount will ever be enough to fix anything.

I guess I don't get why is this put on the State of California to do, where do you draw the line with other occupations wanting this, etc etc.

It`s because most MMA fans are brainwashed right wingers. To them anything resembling unions or social security is ``big government evil``. They are too dumb to know that corporations buy off politicians to make government ineffectual in an effort to to maximize corprorate profits, which means deregulation, lower taxes, and gutting of social spending.

The fact that random people online don’t care about the salary of other people shouldn’t surprise you.

You’re right, I don’t care what Khamzat Chimaev gets paid this Saturday. And Khamzat also doesn’t give a shit what I get paid at my job.

it doesn’t impact us. The weirdos are the guys who have made it their life goal to complain about fighter pay on the internet. It’s not helpful. You are just sad, strange little men.

dude im gonna be honest this modern culture of fans hating the mma fighters makes me fucking sick and has actually turned me off to the sport a lot. I still love mixed martial arts but it just is hard for me to really get into it like i used to because its so toxic and hateful. these guys get locked in that cage and leave behind a piece of themselves they'll never get back and they do it for us and then we despise them for it i dunno man.

Might be some shitting on it but I don't think its for hating the athletes or whatever.

I think many question is why is the State taking this up? Never read the Bill but does the fighter have to reside in Cali to utilize this fund? How many fights and at what level to qualify for getting access to this fund? A few bucks from ticket sales isn't going to be very much money so I don't know if the amount will ever be enough to fix anything.

I guess I don't get why is this put on the State of California to do, where do you draw the line with other occupations wanting this, etc etc.
The fighter's have to fight in California to qualify for it. Not reside there. There is some minimum # of fights that they have to have in the state.

And I agree that this doesn't go far enough. They should take more of the ticket sales and give the fighters more. But look at the reaction to what's been announced. You make the program even bigger and more generous and people will be that much more outraged.

I don't understand the last part. Regulating commerce and doing things like this is squarely in the State's power and jurisdiction. Who is going to set up a fighter's pension fund if not the state? The UFC isn't volunteering to do it. The State regularly intervenes in specific industries to do a number of different things. Create pension funds. Establish industry specific regulations. Create commissions to regulate specific industries. Etc. If this isn't for the State to do, I don't know who is. I mean - the truly just thing would be for a fighter's union to negotiate and create something like this, at the UFC level, so it applies to all fighter's in every state and around the world. But that union doesn't exist. The UFC isn't going to volunteer to give a % of revenue to fighters. So the State is all that's left.

Yesterday we had a thread about a massively positive development for the well-being of fighters - California has passed legislation to take a tiny % of MMA ticket sales, and put it in a retirement fund for fighters.

Surely this development was met by fans with cheers and celebrations right? Fighters getting benefits? These people who destroy their bodies and brains for our entertainment getting a tiny semblance of long-term security?

WRONG

Every time there is a big thread about a fighter's union, half (or more) of the community tears the idea down. How dare fighter's come together to try and get decent treatment and pay! How dare they try and get guaranteed medical treatment! The poor little mom and pop multinational corporation of the UFC can't possibly afford such things!

I do not know what to take away from these sorts of messages from the MMA community, other than that a significant chunk of the fandom, or a small majority, just actually hate the fighters. They want the worst for them. They don't want them to share in a fair amount of the profits that they generate. They don't want them to have medical care. They don't want them to have pensions. If you don't want these things for fighters, you just hate the fighters.

I don't know of any other sports fandom that behaves like this. I don't know of any outrage or backlash from fans, when the NBA, MLB or NFL created players unions. Whenever I see in the news that baseball, basketball or football players have negotiated for some new benefit or upgrade to their contracts, that is it. It's just a news blip announcing that. I don't see any baseball fans going "OMG! Can you believe it Frank?! The MLBPA just negotiated for minimum contracts to be 500k instead of 300k! Disgusting!! What a bunch of woke bs!!"

I just do not get it. Why do you watch a sport where you actively hate the athletes you are watching? It's caveman neanderthal type shit.

#snowflake

They don't destroy themselves for our entertainment. They do it because they want money.
Oh look, a gross little debate-lord has arrived.

"for our entertainment" doesn't mean that's the primary reason they're doing it. Of course they are fighting for their material self-interest.

Regardless - their bodies and brains are being destroyed. Why is that happening? It's for our entertainment. For them - it's to secure resources.

Any normal person understands what that statement means. But you're so brain diseased from the internet that you wanted to engage in a semantic debate over the most trivial comment

WRONG

Yes, but are their fan bases JBG devotees? Because Sherdoggers are.

Def good points. I'm not sure why but there is a sense, fairly popular on Sherdog, that "these idiots signed these stupid contracts to knock away their brain cells and they deserve whatever comes with that - I only watch for selfish enjoyment, that's it, that's all".

I don't know why exactly. It is normal in most sports for fans to be somewhat identified with the well-being of the athletes. I think JBG might be to blame?

Oh look, a gross little debate-lord has arrived.

"for our entertainment" doesn't mean that's the primary reason they're doing it. Of course they are fighting for their material self-interest.

Regardless - their bodies and brains are being destroyed. Why is that happening? It's for our entertainment. For them - it's to secure resources.

Any normal person understands what that statement means. But you're so brain diseased from the internet that you wanted to engage in a semantic debate over the most trivial comment
I commend you brother. This will be an uphill battle, lol. You're on Sherdog trying to speak to the whole community as though they are mature enough for conversational exchange.

GOOD LUCK! But I do commend you - you are making some good points so far.

Back