MMA Clothing Lines

jmarion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Alright I saw it coming.... MMA clothing (i.e. affliction, tapout, throwdown) being worn by idiots who don't know the company, the fighter (t shirts of fighters), or EVEN WHAT MMA IS let alone survive it.

for example i saw my stupid EX gf wearing the extreme couture rampage edition t shirt.... she's never watched MMA and only knows who Rampage is becuase of me...

i think mma clothing should only be worn by people who actually train in some sort of martial arts... i mean its a clothing line made for us, not douche bags with blonde highlights who play the guitar* and think it's "cool"

(i have no problems wiht guitars)

Here's how I stand on this issue. I hear a lot of people saying the same things. I for one really don;t care, and for the most part actually support anyone who wants to wear a TapouT, Affliction, etc shirt. These companys make their money by getting their product out to as many people as possible. The more people who buy these products, the more money these companys have to put into sponsorships for their fighters and that means more fighters getting sponsorships and getting their feet in the door. So I guess it's good for our sport to have as many people as possible out there walking around in these companies gear.

Its kind of annoying, but like tapout1977 stated, it helps out the fighters.

I think the ts is talking bout how some kids will just buy the apparel and wear it to make themselves look 'tough' because they are associated with mma however have never trained a single day in their life or has any bit knowledge of mma.

Well affliction didn't start out as an MMA company so I would exempt them unless someone is wearing a fighters shirt they made. Still I would never wear any of that crap.

I think the ts is talking bout how some kids will just buy the apparel and wear it to make themselves look 'tough' because they are associated with mma however have never trained a single day in their life or has any bit knowledge of mma.

And these guys will get found out sooner or later when they get owned by some random dude. No biggie. This stuff should be labled "wear at your own risk" because some dude just may want to challenge some other random dude wearing a TapouT shirt.

Okay, well were at it lets hunt down every joker who wears a Yankees cap but doesn't watch baseball, or a Cowboys t-shirt and doesn't know who Tony Dorsett was, or a Quicksilver shirt and has never stepped on a snowboard. The other day I saw a guy wearing a Celtics sweatshirt....I asked, Kevin Garnett fan? He said who? No, I got this for Christmas, don't really watch basketball. WHAT? You poser piece of shi........!

Seriously though.....whatever man. Who cares!

Okay, well were at it lets hunt down every joker who wears a Yankees cap but doesn't watch baseball, or a Cowboys t-shirt and doesn't know who Tony Dorsett was, or a Quicksilver shirt and has never stepped on a snowboard. The other day I saw a guy wearing a Celtics sweatshirt....I asked, Kevin Garnett fan? He said who? No, I got this for Christmas, don't really watch basketball. WHAT? You poser piece of shi........!

Seriously though.....whatever man. Who cares!

Good point!!!!!

Here's how I stand on this issue. I hear a lot of people saying the same things. I for one really don;t care, and for the most part actually support anyone who wants to wear a TapouT, Affliction, etc shirt. These companys make their money by getting their product out to as many people as possible. The more people who buy these products, the more money these companys have to put into sponsorships for their fighters and that means more fighters getting sponsorships and getting their feet in the door. So I guess it's good for our sport to have as many people as possible out there walking around in these companies gear.

I agree completely, and with Westie's above post as well.

Let them wear whatever the heck they want. They paid for it. If they don't train and don't know MMA from Water polo, and it makes them look like a poser to the hardcore fans, so be it. They still end up supporting companies that sponsor fighters and support the sport, wheter that was their intent or not.

I believe everyone that is not a fashion model should not wear clothing at all.

Wait...maybe that was the other way around.

Its kind of annoying, but like tapout1977 stated, it helps out the fighters.

anyone supporting the sport is doing something good for it, even if they don't know shit all about the sport.

also... who is the chick in your avatar lol

i agree with u that it is annoying to see im not a fighter im just a fan and dont wear MMA anything but i do play paintball and know what u are talking about but the truth is that if they sell more stuff to all kinds of people the company will thrive and have more money to put into itself and the sport will grow dont know if anyone agrees but thats how i feel

Yea around my college and everything there are always idiots wearing that shit and just running their mouths up at our college gym talking about these insane fights and stuff they have and how they "train." This being while they do concentration curls with 20 pound weights and try not to nut while looking at themself in the mirror. Funny though I never see these guys at the MMA school right beside the campus...

The thing about it is, regardless of how pissed off people get for seeing posers wearing MMA clothing, the people wearing it are supporting the sport. MMA fighters don't get paid nearly as much as contenders in other sports, and MMA isn't as mainstream as most other sports (yet).

I mean personally, the first MMA clothing item I'm gonna get is going to be a pair of fight shorts, and until I'm at least decent at it, I don't plan on getting any MMA branded shirts/etc. I think MMA guys feel it's different because wearing the clothing used to be something they exclusively wore, and it meant they trained/put their work in. Now, random jackasses trying to act hard wearing Tapout shirts or whatever (plenty at my school) roll around, and people get mad. It's understandable. BUT every shirt they sell helps the company, and every company helped helps the industry, soooo it's best to just grit your teeth and bear it.

I agree completely, and with Westie's above post as well.

Let them wear whatever the heck they want. They paid for it. If they don't train and don't know MMA from Water polo, and it makes them look like a poser to the hardcore fans, so be it. They still end up supporting companies that sponsor fighters and support the sport, wheter that was their intent or not.

HEY! what do you have against Water polo!! :)

everyone has brought great thoughts to the thread... if it supports the company which in turn supports the fighters then it's worth it.

Anarkix said it exactly the way i was thinking... the clothing for me wasn't a fashion statement but an item that could be worn to show that yeah i put my blood and sweat into the sport... i wore it as a badge of honor, per say, and it my a common bond between fighters... i was proud to wear it... it was a unique identifier to our culture and life style.

now everyone wears it! if they were new to the sport or even were just fans thats cool... its just the douche bags who wear it cuz it thinks it makes them cool... they think it makes them tough...

BUT going back to the most important point made in this thread... the money made off sales benefits the fighters and in the end and i agree that is all that matters.

I think everyone has already made some good points.

If you support the sport of MMA, then you will embrace the fact that fans, regardless of their martial arts background, are wearing and buying mma related goods.

Most people have gotten past the "poser" point of view.

TS: Do you have to be a hockey player to wear a hockey jersey? Or a basketball player to wear a basketball jersey? Can you not just be a fan of the sport regardless of how much you know about it?

anyone supporting the sport is doing something good for it, even if they don't know shit all about the sport.

also... who is the chick in your avatar lol

to answer your question, i have no idea what her name is but she's from suicidegirls.com

sorry to get off topic.

TS: Do you have to be a hockey player to wear a hockey jersey? Or a basketball player to wear a basketball jersey? Can you not just be a fan of the sport regardless of how much you know about it?

no your right you don't and i guess its hypocritical of me to say one is ok but the other is not... liks i stated before its just those guys who think they're cool and badass cuz they wear it but really when push comes to shove they'd piss themselves at a thought of a fight.

maybe i'm just gripping on to the past when MMA clothes meant you were an MMA practioner...

Back