Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Wow, I got distracted and forgot why I came here.
I've been retired for 15 years now and last night I had a dream were I was reporting aboard a new ship. I have had many similar dreams over the years: standing watch, fighting casualties, wearing a uniform, or just doing ordinary things but knowing (in that dream way) that I was active duty.
Anyone else have similar experiences?

Yeah, I'll wake up in the middle of the night thinking that I'll have to get my MOPP gear aired out for the weeklong exercise or fretting about the big inspection.

You're not the only one. :)

I sometimes have dreams I’m balls deep in some prime Air Force hatchet wound.

Well, in one key way flying a jet is easier - you can see were you are going. Try driving on an uncharted road blindfolded while someone else who also can't see tells you where to turn. Diesel boats don't operate at the same depths (where the sea floor may surprise you) and can't do the same missions.
Does the U.S. Navy not use sonars anymore? Planes fly at night too and can't see a thing.
Being in a submarine underwater for 6 months is something that would drive me nuts. Definitely not a Navy or Air Force guy, that is why I went Army. They now have females on those subs. I can only imagine the 'shenanigans' that goes on. I can see them on aircraft carriers, but not submarines. Was a female driving that sub that ran into the side of a mountain? Did she have big boobs? That is what caused the guys to loose their concentration and crash!
navy-tits.thumbnail.jpg

Does the U.S. Navy not use sonars anymore? Planes fly at night too and can't see a thing.
Being in a submarine underwater for 6 months is something that would drive me nuts. Definitely not a Navy or Air Force guy, that is why I went Army. They now have females on those subs. I can only imagine the 'shenanigans' that goes on. I can see them on aircraft carriers, but not submarines. Was a female driving that sub that ran into the side of a mountain? Did she have big boobs? That is what caused the guys to loose their concentration and crash!
navy-tits.thumbnail.jpg
That looks like the real Kathrine Bell! We’re bra and hat scenes common on JAG? I may have to do some streaming…..
I got out before females served on subs, but I did go to sea on a submarine tender (think floating repair station) on which there were female sailors. I was astonished at the shenanigans that occurred. Many second hand stories and overhearing conversations. Two first hand stories.
1) I walked into a store room to get a pen and blank Cyclic Preventive Maintenance Schedule to, you know, do my job, when I interrupted an E-5 and an E-4 out of breath, untucked, and blushing as they stepped back from one another. What can you do? I just said “excuse me” and grabbed what I needed off the shelf. They were both married to someone else, but ended up together. Wonder how that turned out. 2) There was this cute little E-4 girl who did some admin stuff for our shop. We were in Nuclear repair, most of us were nuclear trained operators and technicians while she and a few other were not. So one day in a group conversation she says that nukes (what they call nuclear trained people) are pretty good-looking. She then ranks her favorites in the order she would “date” them. I don’t know how far the list went cuz I stopped listening after #3, where I was. I was happily married so I took all this as amusing and flattering, but not serious. I laughingly retold the conversation to a friend and he got visibly upset. It turns out he was actually sleeping with her but ranked two places lower than me. I think I confirmed the suspicions of both their spouses (she may have just been engaged) when I answered the phone when the ship got back from a short underway (before everyone had a cell phone). I was the duty supervisor for our division that night so was staying on the ship (does the Army do duty days? I’m sure you do) The wife called looking for her husband about an hour or hour and a half after we got in port. Unsuspecting that I was being anything but helpful, I told her that everyone else was let go an hour ago and I was sure he wouldn’t be too much longer. A few minutes later the fiancé calls, I gave the same answer, but know I’m thinking I just gave up a secret. The guilty guy comes in ten minutes later and asks me say something or other. Sorry, too late now.

I always feel bad for the command that POTUS (no matter who it is, not being political) decides to visit on Thanksgiving.

So I dug a little deeper on that exercise where RM claimed to trash the USMC:

The Royal Marines were attached to a larger force that included elements of the U.S. Marine Corps itself, as well as Canadian, Dutch, and Emirati troops. The British contingent reportedly worked directly alongside personnel from the U.S. Marine Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC) and the UAE's Presidential Guard ( modeled after the U.S. Marines ) among other elements, for this exercise.

- MARSOC, V25, 3/11, 1st Anglico, and the UAE Presidential Guard, and various other troops were all fighting alongside the Brits in this exercise against a regular Marine unit -

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...ered-to-british-forces-during-recent-exercise

Last edited:
So I dug a little deeper on that exercise where RM claimed to trash the USMC:

The Royal Marines were attached to a larger force that included elements of the U.S. Marine Corps itself, as well as Canadian, Dutch, and Emirati troops. The British contingent reportedly worked directly alongside personnel from the U.S. Marine Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC) and the UAE's Presidential Guard ( modeled after the U.S. Marines ) among other elements, for this exercise.

- MARSOC, V25, 3/11, 1st Anglico, and the UAE Presidential Guard, and various other troops were all fighting alongside the Brits in this exercise against a regular Marine unit -

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...ered-to-british-forces-during-recent-exercise
So Raiders, a light infantry battalion, a field artillery battalion, an air/naval gun liason company, and some badasses from the UAE + Royal Marines against one light infantry battalion? No wonder.

Lol ok…

Anyone who has ever OC’d an exercise like this will know that the shit isn’t like paintball. There’s no scoreboard. OC’s with unit leadership (BN and above), determine what the script is and when to deviate from the script. Example, a PLT briefs a poor mass casualty contingency thus the OCs make them fight their plan during their OP.

Whatever, multinational exercises are done for the highest leaders to build cohesion. No one gives a damn about dudes on the ground. Their just puppets. It is what it is.

I always feel bad for the command that POTUS (no matter who it is, not being political) decides to visit on Thanksgiving.

Bush visited us in 2007 while in Iraq, it didn’t get any publicity, not even on Fox News .

Hey brothers and sisters. I just did a three week stay in the VA recovery ward after another suicide attempt and the way veterans are being “treated” is appalling. I mean it is absolutely disgusting. And this was at one of the “better” facilities in the system.
I’ve dedicated the rest of my life to peer support. We put up our hands together and swore to defend against enemies both foreign and domestic. That makes you closer to me than family has ever been.
Getting help for mental health is hard, no matter how easy people make it seem. If you’re struggling, please don’t hesitate to reach out. To me, to anyone. You’re not alone unless you want to be.
Don’t willingly go down the rabbit hole brothers and sisters. You’re better than that.

Hey brothers and sisters. I just did a three week stay in the VA recovery ward after another suicide attempt and the way veterans are being “treated” is appalling. I mean it is absolutely disgusting. And this was at one of the “better” facilities in the system.
I’ve dedicated the rest of my life to peer support. We put up our hands together and swore to defend against enemies both foreign and domestic. That makes you closer to me than family has ever been.
Getting help for mental health is hard, no matter how easy people make it seem. If you’re struggling, please don’t hesitate to reach out. To me, to anyone. You’re not alone unless you want to be.
Don’t willingly go down the rabbit hole brothers and sisters. You’re better than that.
I hope you didn't stay at the VA hospital in Atlanta.

<6>

Hey @Dan O, good to hear back from you. I am happy you are still with us. Yes, we are losing roughly 22 service members a day to suicide. That is roughly 154 'soldiers' a week. That is about 3 Platoons, or a small Company. More death than any battle I am aware of in Iraq or Afghanistan. Folks will need some good 'drugs' to get stabilized. I did not find therapy to be very helpful with my problems. A good option is to turn to a local church for help. Catholic churches will usually help the needy with food, housing and counseling. You have to do your part in return - work. You have to stay busy. This has worked for some veterans and homeless folks. The help is out there, but folks have to be willing to get involved and do their share of the work for the benefits. Good luck.

Back