Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

When you were on LE how often did you get to the range? Also you guys have a under estimated sniper program. I’ve shot with a few coasties and they’re definitely decent.

I honestly have no clue what policy is now.

Back then, every 4-6mo if I recall correctly...again been a while, been out of the LE game for 15 years, personally only shot for ATFP reasons since then

Yes our "precision marksmen" are good. Have placed high in the international military sniper competion we lose points in the stalk, where in our job isn't normally needed.

(One shotting outboard motors on a go fast heaving up and down on the open sea doing 40kts while on a helo doing 80 is damn good work though and I point that out when Puddle Pirates beat the Jarheads or Grunts to my family in those services)

Last edited:
I honestly have no clue what policy is now.

Back then, every 4-6mo if I recall correctly...again been a while, been out of the LE game for 15 years, personally only shot for ATFP reasons since then

Yes our "precision marksmen" are good. Have placed high in the international military sniper competion we lose points in the stalk, where in our job isn't normally needed.

(One shotting outboard motors on a go fast heaving up and down on the open sea doing 40kts while on a helo doing 80 is damn good work though and I point that out when Puddle Pirates beat the Jarheads or Grunts to my family in those services)
I was fortunate enough to squad with them at a match in SC, than they shot a competition I help run at fort Bragg. Pretty impressive considering like you said their scope of mission isn’t the same as their competitors. I’m a huge supporter of military people shooting competitively the lesson you learn and techniques you gain are really helpful. Especially considering I think I know of 1 unit that actually gets the range time and instruction that I would consider ideal.

We do OK but sometimes you have to remember our main job in SF is unconventional warfare while marksmanship is a part of that puzzle there’s a lot of skill sets we have to maintain.

I was fortunate enough to squad with them at a match in SC, than they shot a competition I help run at fort Bragg. Pretty impressive considering like you said their scope of mission isn’t the same as their competitors. I’m a huge supporter of military people shooting competitively the lesson you learn and techniques you gain are really helpful. Especially considering I think I know of 1 unit that actually gets the range time and instruction that I would consider ideal.

We do OK but sometimes you have to remember our main job in SF is unconventional warfare while marksmanship is a part of that puzzle there’s a lot of skill sets we have to maintain.
He many rounds you shot a year? 10k or more?

He many rounds you shot a year? 10k or more?
Tough to put a number on it, I was in a specific company that was focused on direct action, 10k a year probably between 9mm/556 somewhere in that range for sure.

On a typical team probably in the 2-3k depending on the year and how aggressive the teams leadership goes after ranges and ammo.

It’s tragic to say but you absolutely will find people in the regiment that are not competent shooters. So they can man the mk19! Or carry ammo! There’s a job for all abilities lol.

Tough to put a number on it, I was in a specific company that was focused on direct action, 10k a year probably between 9mm/556 somewhere in that range for sure.

On a typical team probably in the 2-3k depending on the year and how aggressive the teams leadership goes after ranges and ammo.

It’s tragic to say but you absolutely will find people in the regiment that are not competent shooters. So they can man the mk19! Or carry ammo! There’s a job for all abilities lol.
How do you get that far into a unit like that and not shoot that well?

How do you get that far into a unit like that and not shoot that well?
Comparatively to an infantry squad even the least competent marksmen on a team would be a good marksman in a typical infantry company.

That being said the reason why not everyone is a great gunslinger: I think it’s part aptitude, SF doesn’t require a baseline shooting standard aside from qualifying on a basic rifle qual. For instance the company I was in required passing a difficult shooting school. So we trained and selected who went and if a guy wasn’t capable he either got better or went back to a regular team. But that standard is not the norm across the regiment.

Ultimately for a team, leadership qualities kind of out weighs great shooting. We’re often running a partner force that can be in the hundreds with just 8-12 guys.

Last year I got preferenced for FT Hood because the 1CD cdr was my BDE cdr. So lucky I dodged that bullet.

Last year I got preferenced for FT Hood because the 1CD cdr was my BDE cdr. So lucky I dodged that bullet.
There’s a poster here who’s stationed at Polk. That has to be worse, right?

There’s a poster here who’s stationed at Polk. That has to be worse, right?
Fort Sill is pretty shitty too, Hood, Polk, Rucker, I think these places are generally considered the lowest in terms of places people want to be stationed. The list does go on Jackson and Benning both kind of suck, Bragg isn’t exactly in the greatest place.

Just by places you could be stationed the Army compared to the other branches has the highest likelihood to have a shitty duty station.

Fort Sill is pretty shitty too, Hood, Polk, Rucker, I think these places are generally considered the lowest in terms of places people want to be stationed. The list does go on Jackson and Benning both kind of suck, Bragg isn’t exactly in the greatest place.

Just by places you could be stationed the Army compared to the other branches has the highest likelihood to have a shitty duty station.
Drum has to be the worst.

Back