Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

This place will be my running Journal for my time on the Island. It's going to be a challenge. The Heavy I'm working for right now , is a big intense dude, but also one of the smartest guys I've run into so far on the Depot.
I hope you’re never on third deck. I was lucky to be on the first floor.

I'm on 3rd Deck Right now.

We are now being called Suicide Platoon . 2 fucking kids tried to kill themselves.
Our first guide threatened to kill himself. They actually caved and that fucker was home within 2 weeks.
It sucked in 03 without TV and internet but at least we didn’t have smartphones and social media yet. Has to be quite a shock for teens who have grown up always being connected 24/7.

Our first guide threatened to kill himself. They actually caved and that fucker was home within 2 weeks.
It sucked in 03 without TV and internet but at least we didn’t have smartphones and social media yet. Has to be quite a shock for teens who have grown up always being connected 24/7.

It's a healthy break from that shit. That's probably the only good thing about boot camp other than learning how to fire a rifle.

We are now being called Suicide Platoon . 2 fucking kids tried to kill themselves.
Interesting. Sad. Why would these two recruits try to kill themselves? Any previous signs? Are they told they have the option to go talk to the chaplain who can send them over to the doctor? I understand the Corps (or the Army) does not want to loose recruits, but given the choice to be discharged or killed, I would let these kids leave. I don't believe these recruits are going through anything remotely similar to what was portrayed in 'Full Metal Jacket' Marine boot camp. Are recruits just softer than they used to be 50 years ago?

Interesting. Sad. Why would these two recruits try to kill themselves? Any previous signs? Are they told they have the option to go talk to the chaplain who can send them over to the doctor? I understand the Corps (or the Army) does not want to loose recruits, but given the choice to be discharged or killed, I would let these kids leave. I don't believe these recruits are going through anything remotely similar to what was portrayed in 'Full Metal Jacket' Marine boot camp. Are recruits just softer than they used to be 50 years ago?
No smartphone for 13 weeks. No holiday break for Christmas and New Year's.
You can't just cut every recruit loose who threatens suicide. They've already spent a shitload of money on each one before even getting to boot camp. I went through in 03 and DIs were allowed very little contact (like slapping on the hand during drill or just light shoving) so it's definitely not anything like that.

Dude reach out to me in a few months if you're curious . I'll give you details. I'm a bit paranoid and I like the boss I'm working for right now so stuff is pending. It pisses me off that these kids were even at boot camp , I fucking hate recruiters .

No smartphone for 13 weeks. No holiday break for Christmas and New Year's. You can't just cut every recruit loose who threatens suicide. They've already spent a shitload of money on each one before even getting to boot camp.
I know. It still does not answer my question. You run into the same issue during deployments -- suicide threats so they can go home, or be discharged, early. Why are the two recruits threatening suicide? There are ways of getting out of basic and the military, but recruits usually don't know that. Reasons that you could be processed for involuntary discharge: Failing weight and fitness requirements, failing training, AWOL, misconduct, illegal drug use, etc. Why kill yourself? Grab your buddy and put a bayonet to his neck instead. Bring some 'live' rounds back to the barracks like Private Pyle in 'Full Metal Jacket'.

It's a healthy break from that shit. That's probably the only good thing about boot camp other than learning how to fire a rifle.

Boot camp is a perfect fucking opportunity for these assholes to get well conditioned they get a Hell of a lot more food to eat at the Chowhall now and 8 hours of sleep was always a thing even in 2005 San Diego was 2100-0500 Parris Island was 2000-0400 . They get fucking smoked , eat 3 square meals and are tired so they get into REM sleep pretty quickly .

I know. It still does not answer my question. You run into the same issue during deployments -- suicide threats so they can go home, or be discharged, early. Why are the two recruits threatening suicide? There are ways of getting out of basic and the military, but recruits usually don't know that. Reasons that you could be processed for involuntary discharge: Failing weight and fitness requirements, failing training, AWOL, misconduct, illegal drug use, etc. Why kill yourself? Grab your buddy and put a bayonet to his neck instead. Bring some 'live' rounds back to the barracks like Private Pyle in 'Full Metal Jacket'.

Well I assume threatening suicide is the easiest and quickest way out of boot camp.

Boot camp is a perfect fucking opportunity for these assholes to get well conditioned they get a Hell of a lot more food to eat at the Chowhall now and 8 hours of sleep was always a thing even in 2005 San Diego was 2100-0500 Parris Island was 2000-0400 . They get fucking smoked , eat 3 square meals and are tired so they get into REM sleep pretty quickly .
Hell yeah I ate more food in boot camp than I ever did. Breakfast was glorious. And yep, 8 hours of lights out guaranteed every night. I think you'd have an hour of firewatch like twice a week maybe.

Well I assume threatening suicide is the easiest and quickest way out of boot camp.
Not necessarily. If a good number of soldier, or Marines, said that at boot camp (pre-deployment) and got away with it, the U.S. military would be in serious trouble. The individual needs to be evaluated by a doctor. Separate the 'bullshitters' from the real deal. Given the opportunity, many recruits would probably just quit the first week of training. Army and Marines have recruits drop out at roughly the same rate as each other, between 11 and 14 percent annually. Recruits who decide early on in the boot camp experience that the military is not for them are best-advised to seek a discharge known as an 'entry-level separation (ELS)'.

Hell yeah I ate more food in boot camp than I ever did. Breakfast was glorious. And yep, 8 hours of lights out guaranteed every night. I think you'd have an hour of firewatch like twice a week maybe.

By the order they have to wait 48 hours before giving you another watch .Even if the DIs hate you they can't pile it on too much.

Not necessarily.
failing weight and/or fitness requirements - dropped back in training
failing training - dropped back in training
AWOL - brig time and then dropped back in training
illegal drug use - can't get in boot camp
bayonet - you never have one
live rounds - you never get any until like 6 weeks into training and bringing them back gets you dropped in training

threaten to kill yourself - be back home within 2 weeks and an ELS

By the order they have to wait 48 hours before giving you another watch .Even if the DIs hate you they can't pile it on too much.
lol that would explain why my DIs got mad at me for putting myself on the last firewatch shift like 4 or 5 days in a row (I was scribe at the time).

lol that would explain why my DIs got mad at me for putting myself on the last firewatch shift like 4 or 5 days in a row (I was scribe at the time).
Yup the Recruit Training Order is gay is fuck . But DIs find ways to blur the Lines.

failing weight and/or fitness requirements - dropped back in training.
Yeah, for how many times? The recruit can play this game for weeks or months.
failing training - dropped back in training.
Same as above.
AWOL - brig time and then dropped back in training.
Same as above.
illegal drug use - can't get in boot camp.
No, I'm saying during boot camp.
bayonet - you never have one.
We did. Either way, sneak a knife out of the chow hall or use a pencil.
live rounds - you never get any until like 6 weeks into training and bringing them back gets you dropped in training.
They can wait that long. That is a very serious offense, they are more likely to be court martialed under UCMJ, but being fresh recruits under 180 days may change things.

Yeah, for how many times? The recruit can play this game for weeks or months.
That defeats the whole purpose though of getting out of boot camp ASAP.

No, I'm saying during boot camp.
And how would they get the illegal drugs in boot camp?

We did. Either way, sneak a knife out of the chow hall or use a pencil.
Can't sneak a knife out (A DI stands by making sure you turn your utensils in with your plate) and no pencils.

They can wait that long. That is a very serious offense, they are more likely to be court martialed under UCMJ, but being fresh recruits under 180 days may change things.
Again, that defeats the purpose.

And how would they get the illegal drugs in boot camp?
They would hide it on them or personal items.
Can't sneak a knife out (A DI stands by making sure you turn your utensils in with your plate) and no pencils.
You are joking! Man you Marines place very little trust in your recruits. Maybe things have changed in the U.S. Army since I went through boot camp in the summer of 1988. What about KP duty?

They would hide it on them or personal items.
Nowhere to hide since you get searched. Besides, your last piss test is at MEPS. And what personal items? You don't bring anything with you.

You are joking! Man you Marines place very little trust in your recruits. Maybe things have changed in the U.S. Army since I went through boot camp in the summer of 1988. What about KP duty?[/QUOTE]
Not joking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back