Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

I had forgotten how good this documentary was. 'Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam', 1987. It came out just before I went in in 1988.

Indeed, but that is no longer the case today. Actually it has not been the case since the 1980s. If you plan to make it to Captain in an Infantry unit (Active Duty) in the U.S. Army, you really need the tab. Not mandatory, but your career in the Infantry as an officer will be limited. I believe even Infantry National Guard units are now getting more slots and funding for the school. It is a 'watered down' version of what I went through in 1992. You now have women and multiple MOSs (like Medical Nurses) going through the school, and you now have women in the Infantry. Women in charge of Infantry Divisions. I'm sure glad I went when I went and got out when I did.

As for Schwarzkopf, not one of my favorite officers. His boss, General Collin Powell, was truly a great soldier and leader. I wish he had run for the Presidency instead of Obama, but his wife was against it. These 3 remain my favorite:
373px-GEN_Colin_Powell.JPG

384px-General_Henry_Shelton%2C_official_portrait_2.jpg

384px-GEN_Petraeus_Aug_2011_Photo.jpg
Powell should be locked up for lying to the UN about Iraq. Absolute disgrace.

Powell should be locked up for lying to the UN about Iraq. Absolute disgrace.
Powell wasn't lying to the UN. He had reservations about invading Iraq from the beginning. He made that very clear to President Bush. Powell went off the same intel that Bush had. Biased intel from the CIA. Biased by whom you may ask? Cheney and Rumsfeld. These two idiots are the ones that got us into Iraq. Powell followed orders like the good soldier he was. He regrets that UN incident to this day. He has some amazing stories of when he was a black 2nd Lieutenant of an all white Infantry Platoon - both stateside and in Vietnam. He was a good officer and his soldiers vouched for him and followed his every order. He ratted pretty high in his Ranger school class. Made his own coffee and copies at the State Department. Fixed the copy machine when it broke.

I had forgotten how good this documentary was. 'Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam', 1987. It came out just before I went in in 1988.

I use to show that doc in class each year.

I used to start each class reading a letter from the book that doc was based upon.

Towards the end of one term, one of my fellow teachers gave me the letter her older brother sent her from Vietnam before he was KIA.

Powerful stuff.

Powell wasn't lying to the UN. He had reservations about invading Iraq from the beginning. He made that very clear to President Bush. Powell went off the same intel that Bush had. Biased intel from the CIA. Biased by whom you may ask? Cheney and Rumsfeld. These two idiots are the ones that got us into Iraq. Powell followed orders like the good soldier he was. He regrets that UN incident to this day. He has some amazing stories of when he was a black 2nd Lieutenant of an all white Infantry Platoon - both stateside and in Vietnam. He was a good officer and his soldiers vouched for him and followed his every order. He ratted pretty high in his Ranger school class. Made his own coffee and copies at the State Department. Fixed the copy machine when it broke.

Folks from both sides is the political divide in Foggy Bottom admired the guy. He knew how to manage a department sprawled out all over the globe. At the same time, the folks on the 7th Floor admired the fact that he knew diplomacy was a long haul, not something done within a blink of an eye.

He used to tell his staffers: "Go home. There will stilI be plenty of work to be done in the morning."

What law(s) did he break?
The one we hanged a bunch of nazi pencil pushers for: Crimes against the Peace

It’s that whole “you can’t start a war of aggression” thing. Lying about evidence and falsifying said evidence is also illegal

The one we hanged a bunch of nazi pencil pushers for: Crimes against the Peace

It’s that whole “you can’t start a war of aggression” thing. Lying about evidence and falsifying said evidence is also illegal
We live in the USA. That shit doesn’t apply.

Watching you guys talk about medals and citations is like watching coders speak about different codes. I have no idea wtf you're saying but it seems smart.

Watching you guys talk about medals and citations is like watching coders speak about different codes. I have no idea wtf you're saying but it seems smart.
Well, it is not 'smart'. You can look up the chart for medals (each service) and their precedence. You can look up the requirement for each medal. It is somewhat like a 'mini' resume of your military career. The reality, in my opinion, is that they don't really matter. Some folks get them who shouldn't and others don't get them who should. There was stuff I did during my time in that was really hard, stressful, and time consuming, things I was proud of -- no recognition. Other things were 'petty' and I got an award for it. Hard to figure sometimes... Recognition from my soldiers was always much better than military awards.

Last edited:
Do you silently call cadence to your windshield wipers while driving in the rain?

Bro I'm screaming cadence in the Car , I dont even have tinted Windows . No fucks . It's helps keep my voice strong and it warms it up in the morning before I yell at recruits.

Bro I'm screaming cadence in the Car , I dont even have tinted Windows . No fucks . It's helps keep my voice strong and it warms it up in the morning before I yell at recruits.
They should've eaten the birthday meal today, right?

They should've eaten the birthday meal today, right?
They will get it on Saturday since the 10th is Sunday. These assholes graduate next week. Then I work for 2 weeks with another company the following Monday. Then I'll pick up a new platoon 1st week of December

They will get it on Saturday since the 10th is Sunday. These assholes graduate next week. Then I work for 2 weeks with another company the following Monday. Then I'll pick up a new platoon 1st week of December
Wait, you don't pick up with a new platoon?

Back