Michael Johnson-Beneil Dariush...The actual numbers (Fight Metric) and now SCORECARDS

Didn't see the fight. Numbers alone suggest it was close enough to go either way.

Doesn't mean it was a good decision, or even that it was actually close (MMA Decisions have all of the media giving it to Johnson).

But based on what's happening in the OP alone, there's nothing here that adds anything to the argument that Johnson was robbed.

Didn't see the fight. Numbers alone suggest it was close enough to go either way.

Doesn't mean it was a good decision, or even that it was actually close (MMA Decisions have all of the media giving it to Johnson).

But based on what's happening in the OP alone, there's nothing here that adds anything to the argument that Johnson was robbed.

Actually that's just a pic. of the total breakdowns. In the actual fightmetric link it breaks down strikes by round as well. This isn't Pride so round totals matter more.

http://fightmetric.com/fight-details/d4e98b827e3d6918

Round 2(which gave BD the fight)

MJ 35 of 80
BD 22 of 62

Johnson was more active, more accurate, and landed more. BD landed slighty more head strikes(2 more to be exact) but was dwarfed by MJ in body strikes(18 to 5). It doesn't break down the type of strikes so BD's total includes and was primarily composed of jabs.

Dariush was also 0 for 4 on TDs though that factors in less.

It's a headscratcher on what basis the 2 jugdges and 5%-10% of fans give Beneil the 2nd round for the win.

Actually that's just a pic. of the total breakdowns. In the actual fightmetric link it breaks down strikes by round as well. This isn't Pride so round totals matter more.

MJ 35 of 80
BD 22 of 62

Johnson was more active, more accurate, and landed more. BD landed slighty more head strikes(2 more to be exact) but was dwarfed by MJ in body strikes(18 to 5). It doesn't break down the type of strikes so BD's total includes and was primarily composed of jabs.

It's a headscratcher on what basis the 2 jugdges and 5%-10% of fans give Beneil the 2nd round for the win.

This is not a stat game. You have to watch the fight not look at some dumbshit stats.
I saw the fight on replay today. Did you?

Not going to rehash the other thread, but some people who have re-watched did not think it was a robbery like is claimed.

It's obvious the judges got the fighters mixed up. Wouldn't be the 1st time.

They saw MJ is black and assumed he must have a "funny" name. That's the only explanation.

MJ 35 of 80
BD 22 of 62

Well sure, but BD still gets more head strikes in round 2, and if you're going to go round by round, you can argue based on the numbers that BD should get the first round.

You can't just say judges gave BD the fight based on the second without also acknowledging that if they had given Johnson the second they'd be open to the same critique of giving the fight to Johnson based on the first.

This is not a stat game. You have to watch the fight not look at some dumbshit stats.
I saw the fight on replay today. Did you?

Not going to rehash the other thread, but some people who have re-watched did not think it was a robbery like is claimed.

I've watched the fight in its entirety once and rewatched round 2 in particular. It matched the story that the stats tell MJ was the more aggressive fighter, diversified his attack more, landed more, shut out Dariush on TDs, and nothing supports anything but Johnson being awarded the round.

It was a competitive round, far from a blowout but also far being up in the air.

What have these "people" seen on a rewatch that reasonably gives Dariush the round?

Fucking Crosby at it again. Somebody get this dude away from MMA judging, ffs.

Well sure, but BD still gets more head strikes in round 2, and if you're going to go round by round, you can argue based on the numbers that BD should get the first round.

You can't just say judges gave BD the fight based on the second without also acknowledging that if they had given Johnson the second they'd be open to the same critique of giving the fight to Johnson based on the first.

It'd be a much worse argument going by just numbers. MJ out struck BD by 13 strikes and 8% more accuracy in 2nd. In the first BD still got out struck by 4 strikes and only had 3% greater accuracy.

Either way, dartfeld didn't only include numbers in his post and BD was at least dazed in the first.

If you want to ignore the fact that Dariush was floored, of course.

Johnson should've won the first 2 rounds but that wasn't a blowout by any means. I was quite impressed actually. I never would've thought Dariush would so well against Johnson standing, even winning a round that was entirely striking.

If you want to ignore the fact that Dariush was floored, of course.

Ha!

Like I said, I didn't see the fight.

I'm just going by the argument presented in the OP.

(I actually advocate for a knock down in MMA being scored the same as in boxing. Automatic loss of a point.)

OP shouldn't be posting pics of FightMetric total, as it shows 84 significant strikes to 75, which would hardly indicate a huge robbery. I do believe Johnson should've won, but OP is not helping his case when he uses a pic showing 84 to 75 in significant strikes, which would actually indicate a competitive fight

You don't need any stats to see that Johnson deserved to win the fight.

Whats' with all these lightweight contenders getting the wrong side of decisions lately ? (thus ruining title shots ?).

Thomson got the shaft against Bendo, Bendo got the shaft against Cerrone, and now Johnson is getting the shaft

Throw in Pettis/Khabib injuries and you have a very confusing division

You think he won round 1 or 2? Seriously? That's the only thing that matters. He didn't win 2/3 rounds with those weak leg kicks.

^ Someone who knows fuck all about scoring fights. This isn't PRIDE scoring, bud. They were JABS and some of the shittiest leg kicks I've ever seen, landed with the toes/instep, and ineffective as fuck.

We can go on and on about how this happened and that happened. Watch the fight again. Those jabs was snapping Michael's head and was clean. It wasn't even a grazing jab. it was tagging MJ's face squarely. I gave the fight to MJ 29-28 but I won't lose sleep if BD took it. It was closer than you think.

I don't think dariush was given credit for all his shots in the second. The way Johnson coasted and got schooled in the third he deserved to lose.

Johnson didn't coast in the last round, Dariush adjusted and won the last round. In my opinion MJ won the first 2. I don't understand the people saying he coasted. What actually happened is Dariush stop going for the takedown and started beating Mj to the punch. MJ still won the first 2 rounds.

this is one of the fight that i thought draw would be appropriate.

I don't think dariush was given credit for all his shots in the second. The way Johnson coasted and got schooled in the third he deserved to lose.

I had Dariush edging out the 2nd round while watching it. It was so close to me that I thought it could go either way, and at the end of the fight I had Dariush winning.

Johnson should've won the first 2 rounds but that wasn't a blowout by any means. I was quite impressed actually. I never would've thought Dariush would so well against Johnson standing, even winning a round that was entirely striking.

Dariush's biggest failing was not committing to the striking earlier, he clearly took the fight over once he decided to just strike.

Back