Michael Johnson-Beneil Dariush...The actual numbers (Fight Metric) and now SCORECARDS

Dariush did more damage. Sure that's not how it's supposed to work in the UFC, but I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
Damn, thought about betting the house on MJ thinking he def got the upper hand in the striking department and Dariush wouldnt be able to take him down to display his submissions.

Turns out would have lost big time because of these stupid judging. Anyone saying this decision isnt bs is crazy

It was 2 rounds to 1 Johnson terrible decision.

But Johnson was fading and Daruish was taking over in rd 3, in a 5 rounded Daruish would have won but it doesnt change the fact that the fighters both knew it was a 3 rounder and Daruish lost because he pulled a Machida and waited until the 3rd round to wake up.

Dariush did more damage. Sure that's not how it's supposed to work in the UFC, but I didn't lose any sleep over

That actually is a lot of how it's supposed to work in the UFC. Check out the link in my sig for the Unified Rules.

It was 2 rounds to 1 Johnson terrible decision.

But Johnson was fading and Daruish was taking over in rd 3, in a 5 rounded Daruish would have won but it doesnt change the fact that the fighters both knew it was a 3 rounder and Daruish lost because he pulled a Machida and waited until the 3rd round to wake up.

Even when he did wake up though he did not impress imho.

Backing up with the chin sticking up in the air and relying on single strikes instead of combos wont cut it against the top of the division.

Was it a good fight?

Worth watching?

I have it on DVR, but I think it is at the end of the tape (it was the co main, right? ).

I started watching the main card and fell asleep, (not a commentary on the fights, I have kids and didn't get much sleep last night) missed this fight entirely, woke for glimpses of Glover seeming to dominate OSP on the ground but missed the choke.

An action packed display of skill that I will want to have in depth knowledge of or a meh safety first fight with two guys not wanting to lose but not risking much or taking any chances to go for the win?

Dariush did more damage. Sure that's not how it's supposed to work in the UFC, but I didn't lose any sleep over

It was MJ who scored a knockdown if I recall correctly. So what did the more damage - them leg kicks/jabs or the combos landed by Johnson.

This was a clear win for MJ. Not a domination or whatever but a clear enough win for anyone who follows mma regularly

I thought it was a closer fight than the you'd believe if you just listened to the commentary, and that's backed up by FightMetric. I scored it 29-28 for Johnson, but it wasn't a huge robbery.

Pretty clear 29-28 for Johnson. Close fight though, so it is what it is.

I spoke to Dariush last night and thanked him for fighting. He said he thought the fight could have gone either way.

Some of those leg kicks were intense, but I personally had the fight scored for mj.

Total strikes is irrelevant. He could have landed 0 in round 3 and Dariush could have landed 100 and MJ still should have won based on the first and second rounds. In the first, MJ slightly outstruck him, knocked him down, pressed forward, and stuffed every TD with ease; clear round for MJ. In the second round, he EASILY outstruck him, unlike the first round where he just barely did so: 35 vs 22 significant strikes. Clear round for MJ. Whatever happened in the third was immaterial--the only way BD could have won was to get a finish, or a 10-8 round leading to a tie, or a 10-8 and a point deducted from MJ for a low blow or something leading to a win. Or, of course, having retards for judges.

0 vs 100 would have been a 10-8, so 28-28 would have been the likely outcome.

Who cares? That fight sucked and they both deserve to lose.

I don't think dariush was given credit for all his shots in the second. The way Johnson coasted and got schooled in the third he deserved to lose.

Really there's truth in this. Seemed like the commentators were talking up Johnson the whole time even when Dariush landed shots which they completely ignored, including at least one knee to Johnson's chin.

I don't have a problem with the decision. To me, fights like that should be a draw. But I could see how someone could score it for either fighter. I scored it for Dariush because I thought he arguably landed harder shots in the 2nd and definitely the 3rd. Johnson was the one that looked more busted up and, whether we like it or not, it IS supposed to be considered in the scoring.

Listening to Rashad cry about it and then give his explanation...you know, it's as if half the fans, and some of the fighters, don't even read the freaking scoring criteria. Rashad is full of BS claiming Johnson was "dominating" the rounds, which is absurd to claim of any fighter in a fight like this. Rashad and Cormier kept talking about stuff that really didn't even matter like he felt Johnson was "imposing his will" which isn't even a scoring criteria. Then they talked about octagon control as if it's a major scoring criteria, which it isn't. The Unified Rules state clearly that ONLY effective striking and effective grappling are to be considered and weight is given on a sliding scale to the one that mattered more for that round. The person landing the heavier strikes is supposed to be given more credit than the person who lands the greater # of strikes. Effective Aggression and Octagon Control are ONLY to be considered for the purposes of a tiebreaker in the case that the judge feels the sum of Effective Striking + Effective Grappling for each fighter is equal. So if a judge felt Dariush was winning the Effective Striking + Effective Grappling, then Effective Aggression and Octagon Control aren't even to be considered.

I could see why someone would think Johnson should've won because they felt he won the Effective Striking and felt the stuffed takedowns made the difference in effective grappling. But to act like octagon control and effective aggression are major factors is false. People who give so much weight to control should read the Unified Rules in the link in my sig or on the ABC website. It's clear as day.

I'm glad Johnson lost anyway because he pointfights too much and pointfighters shouldn't be complaining when the judging doesn't go their way. He's only finished 2 of his last 7 wins. Fight with some damn urgency.

Round 1:
Johnson- 24 of 73
Dariush- 20 of 57

Round 2:
Johnson- 35 of 80
Dariush- 22 of 62

For the first two rounds Johnson controlled the center of the cage and was more aggressive.. He landed more strikes and stopped all 7/7 take down attempts in the fight. He won the first two rounds clearly in my opinion making this a robbery.

Thought this would be a relatively easy fight for Johnson, who had impressed me with his boxing and slick counter punching in the past, but Dariush surprised me...

... He looked less robotic than usual and did more than just hold his own striking.

Wasn't upset with the decision because nothing significant really happened in the fight minus the knockdown. Darius was classy in his post-fight speech, too. I'm a fan.

I thought MJ probably won that fight, although the 2nd one seemed close while watching live. However, this is one shitty decision where I wont lose any sleep. MJ played it super safe while the commentators were hanging from his nuts, and he got lit up in the third round because of it.

Back