Michael Johnson-Beneil Dariush...The actual numbers (Fight Metric) and now SCORECARDS

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/d4e98b827e3d6918

Michael-Johnson.jpeg

2s81gza.jpg

575x461xCL8PUf8WsAAl8bQ.jpg.speedilic.ic.8ecng4X7Fw.jpg

An interesting thing to note is the Johnson against Dariush, landed over double the strikes he did against Barboza, was twice as accurate, and had a larger strike differential. In addition, if you want to break it down further, Dariush landed mostly jabs while Barboza landed half of his overall strikes in the form of body kicks (which are typically scored higher).

Also, the fairly obvious point is this includes a near knockdown over Dariush in the first, which never happened in the Barboza fight.

I say that to say this... It was pretty clear he beat Barboza, so why do so many people think Dariush won? A lot of people are saying

"He was swinging at air".

That's what happens sometimes with volume striking. He landed at a 20% clip against Edson, and I did not see anyone complaining about him swinging at air then.

Last edited:
1. Round: Johnson landed more and scored a knockdown
2. Round: Johnson landed 59% more punches, 35:22
3. Round: Dariush won

In all rounds Johnson pressed forward, had octagon control and stuffed 100% takedowns.

I guess they liked BD’s leg kicks more than MJ’s body shots.

The fight wasn't close throughout the first 2 rounds. Should have been a really easy decision.

Beneil had a decent last round. That's all. 30-27 Johnson wouldn't be scoffed at though. 29-28 Johnson was the score of the fight according to 95% of people watching it; people who don't know anything about mma could have scored that one for Johnson. They need to get rid of these old farts who allow this to happen. It's one thing to score a close fight either way, but this was clearly a win for Michael.

How the fuck do they score round 1 or 2 for Dariush?? He got knocked down in one of them and didn't even come remotely close to a takedown at any point. He was backpedaling all night and couldn't implement his gameplan...something he was after all night save for the last round, which he still didn't really win in my opinion (he may have landed more but they were jabs). Just how the fuck..

Last edited:
I don't think dariush was given credit for all his shots in the second. The way Johnson coasted and got schooled in the third he deserved to lose.

84 to 77 in total strikes. I find it hard to believe Johnson did that well in the third, tbh. When there is only 7 total strikes separating a fight, please stop the robbery bs.

I guess they liked BD’s leg kicks more than MJ’s body shots.

You think he won round 1 or 2? Seriously? That's the only thing that matters. He didn't win 2/3 rounds with those weak leg kicks.

84 to 77 in total strikes. I find it hard to believe Johnson did that well in the third, tbh. When there is only 7 total strikes separating a fight, please stop the robbery bs.

^ Someone who knows fuck all about scoring fights. This isn't PRIDE scoring, bud. They were JABS and some of the shittiest leg kicks I've ever seen, landed with the toes/instep, and ineffective as fuck.

You think he won round 1 or 2? Seriously? That's the only thing that matters. He didn't win 2/3 rounds with those weak leg kicks.

No, I thought it was bullshit and scored the fight 29-28 MH, winning 1 and 2 easily. I'm only speculating on what the moronic judges must have thought.

Total strikes is irrelevant. He could have landed 0 in round 3 and Dariush could have landed 100 and MJ still should have won based on the first and second rounds. In the first, MJ slightly outstruck him, knocked him down, pressed forward, and stuffed every TD with ease; clear round for MJ. In the second round, he EASILY outstruck him, unlike the first round where he just barely did so: 35 vs 22 significant strikes. Clear round for MJ. Whatever happened in the third was immaterial--the only way BD could have won was to get a finish, or a 10-8 round leading to a tie, or a 10-8 and a point deducted from MJ for a low blow or something leading to a win. Or, of course, having retards for judges.

Statistically, the 2nd round was Beneil worst round, he got outstruck by the biggest margin of the fight, got takedowns stopped 4 out of 4 times, and landed with lower accuracy.
Factor in that Johnson was both walking forward AND landing harder shots, and there is no argument to give Beneil the round.

Whatever happened to people saying fightmetric stats aren't indicative of how the fight actually went?

This is the problem with scoring fights this way, not all strikes are the same

A baby leg kick and a haymaker that knocks the shit out of someone can both be scored as a sig strike

Whatever happened to people saying fightmetric stats aren't indicative of how the fight actually went?

Well, I think Johnson was lander shots that were way more significant, so seeing he also outstruck Beneil by numbers on the first two rounds only adds to the cause.

Statistically, the 2nd round was Beneil worst round, he got outstruck by the biggest margin of the fight, got takedowns stopped 4 out of 4 times, and landed with lower accuracy.
Factor in that Johnson was both walking forward AND landing harder shots, and there is no argument to give Beneil the round.

This... and didn't Beneil get knocked down in the first round?? How does a judge not award Michael the first two rounds easily?

Admittedly, Beneil was impressive. He looks like a natural striker who will be a great fighter in no time, but he didn't win 2/3 rounds on those leg kicks and jabs.

Johnson clearly got screwed but that was so funny. That one was for Joe. :)

Total strikes is irrelevant. He could have landed 0 in round 3 and Dariush could have landed 100 and MJ still should have won based on the first and second rounds. In the first, MJ slightly outstruck him, knocked him down, pressed forward, and stuffed every TD with ease; clear round for MJ. In the second round, he EASILY outstruck him, unlike the first round where he just barely did so: 35 vs 22 significant strikes. Clear round for MJ. Whatever happened in the third was immaterial--the only way BD could have won was to get a finish, or a 10-8 round leading to a tie, or a 10-8 and a point deducted from MJ for a low blow or something leading to a win. Or, of course, having retards for judges.

This is what everyone defending the decision keeps saying, how the fight was close based on the total strikes (which are still in MJ's favor lol). It's way, way off base and irrelevant.. It's not PRIDE FC scoring. Michael simply won MORE ROUNDS. Not to mention all the other reasons to score it in his favor if you feel like looking at the fight as a whole: stuffing 100% of takedowns, implementing your gameplan, pressing the action and never moving backwards, getting a knockdown. People have a right to be worked up about this one. Dana doesn't normally go nuts on Twitter when it's a close SD, but he lost his shit last night.

Back