Michael Chandler vs. Justin Gaethje - Who wins?

Who wins?

• Total voters
Keep in mind Chandler is 35 and could go the Ferguson route at any time. Gaethje is 32 and taken his share of damage as well, but of the two, Chandler is more likely IMO to suddenly "look old." That's another reason I give the edge to Justin.

No doubt about it, Chandler is in the last leg of his career. He is indeed a freak athlete though and in absolutely phenomenal shape year round. Considering how explosive he still looks, it should be a pretty quick and notable slide when he loses his athletic edge.

Picking Gaethje. I think those leg kicks will give him trouble if it stays on the feet too long. If Chandler has to win, he has to wrestle a lot ala Cain's strategy, roughen him up and take it to the mat.

Why do you say that?

Wanted to actually know how close the predictions are for the fight but the third option you added in the poll just muddied things up and made it useless for that purpose.

This is a terrible matchup for Chandler. He has a tendency to get pulled into slugfests and Gaethje may be the 2nd most dangerous lightweight to slug it out with (after Porier). I believe Gaethje will take this by TKO.

Chandler just hasn't have the durable to survive a Gaethje onslaught.. look at the strikes khabib had to absorb before taking him down.

His leg was nearly fucked.

Not to be a dick but if you can take JG down, the fights over right? Chandler can wrestle and has some subs on his record. Khabib clearly highlighted the path to victory. Justin, seemingly, has zero submission defense.
Stop, what Khabib do is impose his Khabib style and can't be replicated for a totally different fighter like Chandler, Khabib didn't show any blue print, he showed that he is levels above the rest.

Wanted to actually know how close the predictions are for the fight but the third option you added in the poll just muddied things up and made it useless for that purpose.

Not necessarily, it's still shows what most people are leaning towards in winning this fight.

The third option is most likely even in terms of who's voting for Chandler or Gaethje. It becomes a wash.

Gaethje gets wobbled in almost every fight. I see Chandler submitting Gaethje after rocking him on the feet.

Stop, what Khabib do is impose his Khabib style and can't be replicated for a totally different fighter like Chandler, Khabib didn't show any blue print, he showed that he is levels above the rest.
I disagree. JG doesn’t seem to have much submission defense once it hits the ground. We didn’t get a chance to see this prior because he’s been in mostly kickboxing matches. And yes, khabib has elite grappling.

I actually think it's close if Chandler can land early and grapple maybe. I've got Gaethje, hopefully he is staying active in the gym and not just chillin' and doing commercials, but I'm fans of both guys.

Whoever first lands a good clean shot.

Justin doesn't have a granite chin, and Chandler is fast as fuck. Could be Chandler by a first round stoppage.

But Justin has great leg kicks to fuck things up for Chandler past the first round, if he doesn't land a bomb of his own early on.

I'm hoping for a war, but I see Gaethje taking it if it goes that far. Chandlers power falls off later in the fight and those leg kicks will add up.

I disagree. JG doesn’t seem to have much submission defense once it hits the ground. We didn’t get a chance to see this prior because he’s been in mostly kickboxing matches. And yes, khabib has elite grappling.
Could be but Chandler is not a master in submissions and we don't know really how good is Gaethje MMA wrestling because we only saw him vs Khabib, his previous loss by submission was almost 10 years ago, what seems clear to me is that Chandler gassed in last rounds and we know that Gaethje never stop, is an interesting fight but reality is that we haven't seen enough from Chandler to make him a favorite, much less to follow Khabib's fight plan.

fans win.

justin should win.

chandler could win.

it will be a war for sure.

Gaethje will add Chindler's overhyped ass to his List of victims.

Back