Michael Chandler vs. Justin Gaethje - Who wins?

Who wins?

• Total voters
If Gaethje fights smart it is his fight to lose.

When he is using angles and feints he is the more technically sound boxer. If Chandler can draw him into a brawl or get him down then that could turn the tide, but I suspect Trevor Whitman will be prepared for that.

Chandler is the epitome of 8 minutes of fight in him. Explosive as fuck and powerful hands though. Justin isn't the most defensively sound fighter.

Chandler chin is also shot and his karate stance just invites low kicks. He didn't react too well against Charles.

Yeah Justin just needs to touch that leg once or twice tbh

Not to be a dick but if you can take JG down, the fights over right? Chandler can wrestle and has some subs on his record. Khabib clearly highlighted the path to victory. Justin, seemingly, has zero submission defense.

Chandler's best chance is to go for broke right away, like literally sprint and throw bombs. He likely has the more explosive and more powerful punches.

However Gaethje has the better chin. Chandler's chin sucks. Gaethje himself has great power in his hands to Chandler (though less explosive imo) and now fights smarter than he use to. He is less likely to fade in this fight compared to Chandler.
Gaethje also has very powerful leg kicks, something Chandler has show to be very vulnerable against.

I also think that Gaethje's TDD is solid, Khabib had to implement a pressure striking heavy gameplan to take Gaethje down. And Khabib got hit a lot using this gameplan. I think Chandler would get KTFO trying to implement this gameplan, or have his legs shattered.

Overall I favor Gaethje 70% to Chandler 30%. I'm very interested to see what Gaethje has worked on over this past year since his loss to Khabib. Trevor Whitman is a dang good coach afterall

Not to be a dick but if you can take JG down, the fights over right? Chandler can wrestle and has some subs on his record. Khabib clearly highlighted the path to victory. Justin, seemingly, has zero submission defense.
Khabib had a tough time taking Gaethje down. Khabib got hit with a lot of leg kicks and powerful punches. Those strikes would likely KO other grapplers like Chandler and Oliveria.

Gaethje's TDD is pretty good as are his scrambles, but I agree his sub defense sucks. Hopefully he has improved that in this past year.

Reactions: mkt
TLDR cliffs for you whiny lazy mother fuckers with ADD who whinge about wall of text

• -Chandler’s chin will fail him
  • -MC might attempt a boring grappling,TD, ground control plan, it will fail.
  • -Justin’s TDD, cardio and ability to withstand damage will be the difference
  • -Lot’s of Gaethje ball slobbering because he’s a Just Bleed Disciple
  • -Fight will be competitive and exciting early on, goes 3-4 rounds
  • -Picking JG by KO/TKO in a Vintage Gaethje type performance
  • -Will see a refocused and improved Justin since the embarrassing loss.
  • Grammer, punctuation, sentence structure and English sucks, not writing a thesis

Chandler has shown the cage wear on his chin to be a liability, Gaethje is the last guy you want to be locked in the cage with if you’re worried about surviving a good hard shot. IMO MC’s best avenue to victory would be predicated on his ability to successfully implement a wrestling based game plan against JG. If Chandler can keep the wrestling engagements and scrambles prolonged, working Justin against the cage, coupled with ugly wallNstall early on, maybe he can put a major dent in Gaethje’s gas tank. If MC can deplete Justin’s tank this may open up the TD’s and ground control in the later rounds.

But, realistically as we’ve seen, unless your name is Khabib, Justin’s TDD and ability to scramble back to his feet are impeccable, add in great cardio, and IMO this will be unsuccessful. If we’re are left with a striking affair, MC is at a huge disadvantage, besides his cast iron chin and ridiculous pace, Justin keeps showing improvements to his striking under Wittman. Unfortunately for Chandler it simply takes an obscene amount of damage to finish Gaethje. Justin technically hasn’t yet been separated from consciousness or stiffened, the two TKO/KO losses were basically more from accumulative damage, where the ref had seen enough and waived it off. The Alvarez knee no doubt finished Justin, but he was savagely still coherent enough to go for Alvarez’s legs, then roll over and drunkenly stager over to Herb Dean to complain about the stoppage....
Gaethje’s an Inspiration to all the Just Bleed Warriors out there
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

I honestly don’t know if Chandler has enough firepower to finish the fight quickly, if he doesn’t he’s fucked. We’ve seen in order to beat Gaethje you don’t just win the fight, you will need to win the war of attrition, Gaethje has that Edgaresque resilience, along with weaponized cardio output, I’m just not seeing MC being able to withstand the landslide for the required 3-4 rounds to end JG.

I’m picking Justin Gaethje by KO/TKO a vintage pace driven highlight stoppage, I I think Justin patiently picks his shots until the Chandler is ripe, then the avalanche of damage will commence, it takes 3-4 rounds. That is unless Gaethje clip’s Chandler early, I just don’t see this happening because neither fighter will show their hand until after the feeling out process. it will be a fun and competitive fight, especially early on, but once Gaethje finds his range and gets comfortable setting the pace it will only be a matter of time before Justin outclasses him.

On another note, I think that Justin was embarrassed about his performance against Khabib, that loss has lit a fire under him. We haven’t heard much out of Gaethje and he’s been inactive because he’s been grinding, shoring up those grappling deficiencies, we are going to see a more evolved, improved, and dangerous Justin Gaethje.
<Goldie11>

The fans no doubt. Chandler is high octane win or lose and Justin always likes a brawl!

TLDR cliffs for you whiny lazy mother fuckers with ADD who whinge about wall of text

• -Chandler’s chin will fail him
  • -MC might attempt a boring grappling,TD, ground control plan, it will fail.
  • -Justin’s TDD, cardio and ability to withstand damage will be the difference
  • -Lot’s of Gaethje ball slobbering because he’s a Just Bleed Disciple
  • -Fight will be competitive and exciting early on, goes 3-4 rounds
  • -Picking JG by KO/TKO in a Vintage Gaethje type performance
  • -Will see a refocused and improved Justin since the embarrassing loss.
  • Grammer, punctuation, sentence structure and English sucks, not writing a thesis

Chandler has shown the cage wear on his chin to be a liability, Gaethje is the last guy you want to be locked in the cage with if you’re worried about surviving a good hard shot. IMO MC’s best avenue to victory would be predicated on his ability to successfully implement a wrestling based game plan against JG. If Chandler can keep the wrestling engagements and scrambles prolonged, working Justin against the cage, coupled with ugly wallNstall early on, maybe he can put a major dent in Gaethje’s gas tank. If MC can deplete Justin’s tank this may open up the TD’s and ground control in the later rounds.

But, realistically as we’ve seen, unless your name is Khabib, Justin’s TDD and ability to scramble back to his feet are impeccable, add in great cardio, and IMO this will be unsuccessful. If we’re are left with a striking affair, MC is at a huge disadvantage, besides his cast iron chin and ridiculous pace, Justin keeps showing improvements to his striking under Wittman. Unfortunately for Chandler it simply takes an obscene amount of damage to finish Gaethje. Justin technically hasn’t yet been separated from consciousness or stiffened, the two TKO/KO losses were basically more from accumulative damage, where the ref had seen enough and waived it off. The Alvarez knee no doubt finished Justin, but he was savagely still coherent enough to go for Alvarez’s legs, then roll over and drunkenly stager over to Herb Dean to complain about the stoppage....
Gaethje’s an Inspiration to all the Just Bleed Warriors out there
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

I honestly don’t know if Chandler has enough firepower to finish the fight quickly, if he doesn’t he’s fucked. We’ve seen in order to beat Gaethje you don’t just win the fight, you will need to win the war of attrition, Gaethje has that Edgaresque resilience, along with weaponized cardio output, I’m just not seeing MC being able to withstand the landslide for the required 3-4 rounds to end JG.

I’m picking Justin Gaethje by KO/TKO a vintage pace driven highlight stoppage, I I think Justin patiently picks his shots until the Chandler is ripe, then the avalanche of damage will commence, it takes 3-4 rounds. That is unless Gaethje clip’s Chandler early, I just don’t see this happening because neither fighter will show their hand until after the feeling out process. it will be a fun and competitive fight, especially early on, but once Gaethje finds his range and gets comfortable setting the pace it will only be a matter of time before Justin outclasses him.

On another note, I think that Justin was embarrassed about his performance against Khabib, that loss has lit a fire under him. We haven’t heard much out of Gaethje and he’s been inactive because he’s been grinding, shoring up those grappling deficiencies, we are going to see a more evolved, improved, and dangerous Justin Gaethje.
<Goldie11>
Even your cliffs are too long. Did not read!!

Lets be real here, if Chandler did end up finishing Olives in the first, we'd be having a different conversation.
that being said, I'm going with Gaethje but I don't think it will be easy.

Like many, I just don't think Chandlers chin will hold up. Gaethje is tough as fuck and is not easy to put away and while I believe Chandler has the power to do it I just don't think he'll be able to take many shots if he has to

If Chandler can implement his wrestling early it will be a big advantage. And set up the threat of the TD it will open up the big power punch from him. When the TD threat is there with pressure, Gaethje is far less effective with his accuracy and just wings power shots. He's best when he can set up his striking and get in a rhythm.

If Chandler stands too long and gets clipped, it's good night. Olivera KO'd him, imagine what Gaethje will do. I imagine that Chandler will use the wrestling effectively and win by UD or a late submission in a very exciting back and forth fight.

Even your cliffs are too long. Did not read!!
<codychoke>
I’d abbreviate my cliff notes... to help you put, but

• Barbarena is swinging, but keeps getting taken down
  • Tonight Bellator is the A-side of the equation
  • Edmond is actually still coaching pro-fighters
  • I over seasoned the fish I cooked for dinner
  • The time of the month the wifey Cant Understand Normal Thinking
  • The Co-Main is 2 chicks on losing streaks

The nights already ruined
<DCrying>

Gaethje takes it imho, but the fans are there real winners where, as long as it is a 5 round fight.

<codychoke>
I’d abbreviate my cliff notes... to help you put, but

• Barbarena is swinging, but keeps getting taken down
  • Tonight Bellator is the A-side of the equation
  • Edmond is actually still coaching pro-fighters
  • I over seasoned the fish I cooked for dinner
  • The time of the month the wifey Cant Understand Normal Thinking
  • The Co-Main is 2 chicks on losing streaks

The nights already ruined
<DCrying>
Goat cliffs

Could see Chandler having a bit of success wrestling but eventually getting ktfo

I'm worried about Gaethje on the ground, but still leaning him. Awesome fight, though. And respect to Chandler for activity, 3rd fight this year.

If Chandler puts a wrestling heavy plan forward, he has a good shot to win. If Justin can remember how to wrestle, on the feet he will prevail. Either way, I'm down for whatever

Back