Social Mexico City Replaces Christopher Columbus Statue With Statue Of Indigenous Woman

Mexico city will replace a historical statue of Christopher Columbus with a statue of an indigenous woman in an effort to acknowledge that people lived in America before it was discovered by Europeans, the city announced Monday.

The statue was taken down in 2020 for restoration, but now will be relocated to a “worthy” place in the city. The new statue will take its place in the Pasa de la Reforma boulevard, according to Sky News.

Of course we recognize Columbus. But there are two visions,” Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said in a statement. “And there’s another vision from here, that in reality a European arrived in America, who made an encounter between two places, and then came the [Spanish] conquest.”

The city’s decision echoes protests against the displaying of Columbus statues and other major historical figures in the U.S. Dozens of cities across the country have chosen to remove statues of Confederate military leaders and Founding Fathers.

Rioters in Washington, D.C., attempted to tear down the city’s Emancipation Memorial of President Abraham Lincoln due to its depiction of Lincoln helping a freed slave rise from the ground.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has also called for the removal of all statues of Confederate figures from the U.S. Capitol.

I don't really care about most of those statues coming down
How ya feel about this
Discuss

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

― George Orwell, 1984

Tenochtitlan was about 5 times the size of London at the time. Only a few places like Paris and Constantinople were of similar size.
irrelevant. static, top-heavy, isolated, backward from the point of view of mobility, science, military, education.
it's like saying a baseball bat is bigger than a glock19, therefore relevance.

Yeah, a statue of ol what'shername. With a plaque detailing her impact on the world at the time and how it still resonates today. Both a teaching moment and a righting of past wrongs. Money well spent on this statue.

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

― George Orwell, 1984
One day you chuds will actually read the book, I hope?

irrelevant. static, top-heavy, isolated, backward from the point of view of mobility, science, military, education.
it's like saying a baseball bat is bigger than a glock19, therefore relevance.
Yeah, no. You said they were rural. They in fact had larger cities than almost anywhere in Europe. They also weren't scientifically backward.
W1-0019-Teotihuacan-Pyramid-of-the-Sun.jpg

Yeah, no. You said they were rural. They in fact had larger cities than almost anywhere in Europe. They also weren't scientifically backward.
W1-0019-Teotihuacan-Pyramid-of-the-Sun.jpg
they were a mostly rural society, that was scientifically more backward than the european one. the fact that they learned how to put rocks on top of another is not a big thing. egypt did that 4000 years before. my argument stands.

they were a mostly rural society, that was scientifically more backward than the european one. the fact that they learned how to put rocks on top of another is not a big thing. egypt did that 4000 years before. my argument stands.
If a 250 foot high, 750 foot wide structure, aligned to other prominent structures in the city, and sunrises and sunsets on very specific dates in accordance with their religious beliefs, was no big deal, and amounted to no more than "putting rocks on top of each other," why were Cortez and his men so impressed? Eh?

They desired the place so badly because of how impressive it was; they assumed a place that advanced must be filled to the brim with riches.

If a 250 foot high, 750 foot wide structure, aligned to other prominent structures in the city, and sunrises and sunsets on very specific dates in accordance with their religious beliefs, was no big deal, and amounted to no more than "putting rocks on top of each other," why were Cortez and his men so impressed? Eh?

They desired the place so badly because of how impressive it was; they assumed a place that advanced must be filled to the brim with riches.
yes it was filled with riches. they took it at whim. like superior civilizations do with inferior ones.

yes it was filled with riches. they took it at whim. like superior civilizations do with inferior ones.
No, they didn't take it at a whim. They enlisted the help and allied with various native tribes who helped them, and still were almost wiped out during La Noche Triste, where they lost most of their plunder and had to retreat away from the city. The Aztec empire wasn't captured until more than a year after that.

No, they didn't take it at a whim. They enlisted the help and allied with various native tribes who helped them, and still were almost wiped out during La Noche Triste, where they lost most of their plunder and had to retreat away from the city. The Aztec empire wasn't captured until more than a year after that.
so it took an entire year for a few hundred spaniards and their allies to capture a continent-spanning empire of millions, huh.
imagine thinking that helps your case.

so it took an entire year for a few hundred spaniards and their allies to capture a continent-spanning empire of millions, huh.
imagine thinking that helps your case.
No, I said it was more than a year after La Noche Triste before they finally defeated them. You're obviously unfamiliar with any of this. I'd recommend worrying less about statues and more about books.

No, I said it was more than a year after La Noche Triste before they finally defeated them. You're obviously unfamiliar with any of this. I'd recommend worrying less about statues and more about books.
ah, the mother of all submissions appears - the ad hominem.
you had to get out of this discussion somehow i guess.

ah, the mother of all submissions appears - the ad hominem.
you had to get out of this discussion somehow i guess.
In addition to struggling with your understanding of history, you're also struggling with your understanding of logical fallacies.

This is not an ad hominem:

"No, I said it was more than a year after La Noche Triste before they finally defeated them. You're obviously unfamiliar with any of this. I'd recommend worrying less about statues and more about books."

In addition to struggling with your understanding of history, you're also struggling with your understanding of logical fallacies.

This is not an ad hominem:

"No, I said it was more than a year after La Noche Triste before they finally defeated them. You're obviously unfamiliar with any of this. I'd recommend worrying less about statues and more about books."
still panic wrestling some nonsense to distract from the fact that you have made no point in any of the posts you made in this thread. just weak arguments, easily refuted. you didn't even try once to prove the civilization doing the discovery was somehow inferior. shaking my head.

Mexico city is sinking into the ground at an alarming rate.

If they remove a statue they would be smart not to replace it with anything at all.

Back