Social Mexico City Replaces Christopher Columbus Statue With Statue Of Indigenous Woman

I love the left’s idea of firsties. By being somewhere first through luck, how is that an accomplishment or worthy of anything in terms of contributions?

Its not about luck just fact. The first humans in the Muricas were siberian people who crossed the Bering strait who are the ancestors of First Nations people. The first Europeans were the Vikings. Columbus was just one if the first Europeans who rediscovered it in the late medieval period.

-Man who discovered two brand new continents. A modest caring leader with excellent diplomatic skills who catapulted the tribes into a new era technologically

Torn down for

-Some unremarkable ancient woman who made tamales and was probably deceased by age 23
He didn't discover shit. Humans lived in Americas for thousands of years. Quit glorifying assholes.

have them all put in museums, so school kids can tour and learn the country's real history. instead of putting up statues of dead drug dealing criminals to worship.

I don't really care about most of those statues coming down
How ya feel about this
Discuss
I think it is great. All of history is a narrative. We choose what to focus on an what to emphasize. It's always that way.

Its not about luck just fact. The first humans in the Muricas were siberian people who crossed the Bering strait who are the ancestors of First Nations people. The first Europeans were the Vikings. Columbus was just one if the first Europeans who rediscovered it in the late medieval period.
Nobody chooses when and to whom they are born too, it's all luck. This is why statues traditionally commemorate those who have accomplished great feats: inventors, conquerers, generals, founders of the Constitution, presidents, etc... Being born someplace at a certain point in time doesn't make you special.

Quit glorifying assholes.
GettyImages-1233542592.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Mexico city will replace a historical statue of Christopher Columbus with a statue of an indigenous woman in an effort to acknowledge that people lived in America before it was discovered by Europeans, the city announced Monday.

The statue was taken down in 2020 for restoration, but now will be relocated to a “worthy” place in the city. The new statue will take its place in the Pasa de la Reforma boulevard, according to Sky News.

Of course we recognize Columbus. But there are two visions,” Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said in a statement. “And there’s another vision from here, that in reality a European arrived in America, who made an encounter between two places, and then came the [Spanish] conquest.”

The city’s decision echoes protests against the displaying of Columbus statues and other major historical figures in the U.S. Dozens of cities across the country have chosen to remove statues of Confederate military leaders and Founding Fathers.

Rioters in Washington, D.C., attempted to tear down the city’s Emancipation Memorial of President Abraham Lincoln due to its depiction of Lincoln helping a freed slave rise from the ground.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has also called for the removal of all statues of Confederate figures from the U.S. Capitol.

How ya feel about this
Discuss

Lmao at waiting for police to give them liberation.

Thats some galaxy level victim larping.

Mexico makes sense, but I don’t really care. I think that the Emblem in their flag is bad ass, and it speaks to the Aztec heritage, so I think they should have gone with that.

Tearing down a statue of Lincoln is bogus as fuck. He’s one of the best this nation ever put forward, and everyone regardless of color is better off because of him.

Uh, how do you think Columbus got there? Hint: he wasn't actually trying to go there. It was a happy accident while he was looking for an alternative route to Asia. And nobody's saying it's an accomplishment or a major contribution, we're just acknowledging the reality on the ground and that Columbus didn't discover shit.

It’s even worse than that. He stumbled into the Americas while trying to prove a theory that every single learned man of his time knew to be complete bullshit.

Everybody knew that Earth was round. The shape and actual size of the planet had been known since Antiquity! Columbus’ theory actually was that the Earth was much smaller than it actually is.

He calculated that the distance from Europe to East Asia was around a quarter of what it actually is. That’s why every monarch in Europe that heard his pitch turned him down and why the scholars at Salamanca begged Queen Isabella to do the same.

If the Americas didn’t happen to be where they were, he would’ve run out of food and fresh water before he even made it a third of the way to his destination and gotten all of his men killed.

Columbus is the biggest case of falling backwards into money in the history of the world.

It seems to me that people from the US care more about it then the Mexicans, even when it's about a statue in Mexico.
I would bet most Mexicans don't mind it at all, or even prefer the switch, unlike many "Americans".

-Man who discovered two brand new continents. A modest caring leader with excellent diplomatic skills who catapulted the tribes into a new era technologically

Torn down for

-Some unremarkable ancient woman who made tamales and was probably deceased by age 23

Edit* Apologize for being unclear. But im kidding. Im fully aware columbus was a horrible person.
Lol at two brand new continents.

Plot twist, the statue of the indigenous woman is La Malinche

Columbus was a product of Italian American fantasies who wanted someone to honor.
He was an overrated person and a terrible human being.
Some people don’t deserve a statue.
Some other statues should not be taken down but Can Columbus doesn’t deserve one.
Dude was supposed to be going to India and ended up in the Caribbean.

It seems to me that people from the US care more about it then the Mexicans, even when it's about a statue in Mexico.
I would bet most Mexicans don't mind it at all, or even prefer the switch, unlike many "Americans".
9/10 Mexicans are indigenous or mestizo.

Mexico city will replace a historical statue of Christopher Columbus with a statue of an indigenous woman in an effort to acknowledge that people lived in America before it was discovered by Europeans, the city announced Monday.

The statue was taken down in 2020 for restoration, but now will be relocated to a “worthy” place in the city. The new statue will take its place in the Pasa de la Reforma boulevard, according to Sky News.

Of course we recognize Columbus. But there are two visions,” Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said in a statement. “And there’s another vision from here, that in reality a European arrived in America, who made an encounter between two places, and then came the [Spanish] conquest.”

The city’s decision echoes protests against the displaying of Columbus statues and other major historical figures in the U.S. Dozens of cities across the country have chosen to remove statues of Confederate military leaders and Founding Fathers.

Rioters in Washington, D.C., attempted to tear down the city’s Emancipation Memorial of President Abraham Lincoln due to its depiction of Lincoln helping a freed slave rise from the ground.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has also called for the removal of all statues of Confederate figures from the U.S. Capitol.

How ya feel about this
Discuss

Will Nancy who has being seen without a mask at a Donor meeting be in favor of Democrat statues coming down to?

Christopher Columbus is still heavily celebrated in Spain, Italy..

the horrors of his conquest are well-documented. i say good, fuck ‘em. erase him from history for all i care.

I’d say a lack of the wheel is extremely limiting science wise and especially practical wise.
The peoples of the Inca empire knew of the wheel, but choose not to use it. Aztec calendar was circular like a wheel. North America didn't have any large draft animals, so a wheel wouldn't have been any more usefull than using Lamas and Alpacas. People in North-Africa and parts of the MidEast used camels to traverse the deserts, cause wheels wouldn't make much sense.

Back