• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Meteorologist Fired For On Air “Racist Remark”

“He’s white so he is racist no matter what.

All white peoples want to say that and worse and if they don admit they are racist then that proves they are racist.”

It’s the stations right to fire him. Th esimple solution is to stop watch the channel and write a letter letting them know why.

Unless there is proof in some way that this guy is racist other then the above he should be given the benefit of the doubt.
So saying MLK is a "Coon" is not racist / racist slur?

Sounds like a garbled slip up while speaking quickly. The most bland, cookie-cutter guy on ESPN did this years ago and ESPN stuck by him (would never happen today).

Twitter's inherent outrage must be assuaged though.

As others have noted, hard to believe it was a slip up.
Could be.
Hard to tell though, we've all seen people kill their careers with stupidity.

It's not really unbelievable. King + Junior = Koonior. People stumble over their words like that all the time. There are hundreds of videos of newscasters doing just that. This particular one just happened to merge into a racial slur. Someone could easily do a similar thing with a name like Nancy Sieger, or something. It happens.

That's what it sounds like happened anyways. I haven't seen the clip.
I have and that's exactly what it sounds like. I've done the same lots of times and I've heard others do it as well. It's a total over-reaction to the situation, sadly.

Edit: not a clue what to do about it, though.

IS he from Louisiana? I have a couple buddies from LA and they call each other coon ass.

Not when it's an obvious unintentional slip of the tongue, no.
What are the odds that someone who doesn't say that word in private or think of Black people as Coons or hates MLK would say that word.

Normal people don't accidentally just say "Coon"

I have and that's exactly what it sounds like. I've done the same lots of times and I've heard others do it as well. It's a total over-reaction to the situation, sadly.

Edit: not a clue what to do about it, though.
It sounds like "Coons" in the video/audio. If it really was "Coonior" then it isn't racist, just a case of being tongue tied.

It sounds like "Coons" in the video/audio. If it really was "Coonior" then it isn't racist, just a case of being tongue tied.
He stopped himself before saying the whole thing, I believe, but it seems that is what he was going to say. Obviously, no one here is a mind reader, but I can honestly say I have merged words like that lots of times, even when totally sober.

Sounds like a garbled slip up while speaking quickly. The most bland, cookie-cutter guy on ESPN did this years ago and ESPN stuck by him (would never happen today).

Twitter's inherent outrage must be assuaged though.

Re: the above, I reserve the right to change my mind if some evidence that this is a common meme among racists comes to light, but in the absence of strong evidence, I think it was an honest mistake in both cases.

He stopped himself before saying the whole thing, I believe, but it seems that is what he was going to say. Obviously, no one here is a mind reader, but I can honestly say I have merged words like that lots of times, even when totally sober.

Here is what the audio clearly sounds like to me, and I have replayed it atleast a half dozen times.

"Martin Luther Coons king junior park"

Lol dude clearly had the word coon on his mind. It’s not really something that just slipps out

So saying MLK is a "Coon" is not racist / racist slur?

If he meant to say that yes it is.

If he miss spoke and stumbled on his words and it came out like that then it’s something different.

What are the odds that someone who doesn't say that word in private or think of Black people as Coons or hates MLK would say that word.

Normal people don't accidentally just say "Coon"

Yeah, and if you didn't hate all white people and thought they were all secretly KKK members, you could easily understand how one could accidentally jumble "King" with "Junior", and slip up and say "coon", before correcting themselves.

Here is what the audio clearly sounds like to me, and I have replayed it atleast a half dozen times.

"Martin Luther Coons king junior park"
I don't hear the 's'. Again, I'm not willing to say I am 100% certain, but the way he immediately corrects himself mid-sentence suggests to me it was a slip of the tongue.

Lol dude clearly had the word coon on his mind. It’s not really something that just slipps out
That is quite possible, or he tried to say king and junior at the same time and it would have come out kunior but he stopped himself after the first part to correct what he was saying. Again, it's only my own experience I am going by, but I am guilty of doing exactly that with other words in the past.

I don't hear the 's'. Again, I'm not willing to say I am 100% certain, but the way he immediately corrects himself mid-sentence suggests to me it was a slip of the tongue.

That is quite possible, or he tried to say king and junior at the same time and it would have come out kunior but he stopped himself after the first part to correct what he was saying. Again, it's only my own experience I am going by, but I am guilty of doing exactly that with other words in the past.

I find it way to ironic. I don’t think he should have been fired though

Yeah, and if you didn't hate all white people and thought they were all secretly KKK members, you could easily understand how one could accidentally jumble "King" with "Junior", and slip up and say "coon", before correcting themselves.
I would have left out the strawman part of that, but I agree with the point. Bias may play a part here but I don't think it's as clear as all that.

I would be interested to know if there is any evidence whatsoever aside from this incident that he may have been prejudiced towards anyone.

Dafuq. That’s how it’d be if a pleb walked in off the street and tried to be a reporter, that’s turrible.

This dude got fired for mixing words up. Ermahgurd

Fire all these ones retroactively

Back