Metal Gear solid/ Hideo GOATjima appreciation thread

Even though I voted for MGS3, Peace Walker should be getting a whole lot more love than it's receiving right now.

I feel like a lot of people either skipped it or never fully gave it a fair chance. I personally was pretty meh about it the first few times I attempted to play it mainly because it was so different from the other titles. It took a while for me to get hooked by the addictive gameplay. I agree tho it deserves more love, It's the greatest handheld video game I've ever played ( even tho I played it on the ps3 and xbox 360 lol) It's a shame that Peace walker came out when the psp was already on it's deathbed

Last edited:
Why do some side-ops show up as new even though ytou've already done it? Side-ops 12 for me is still shwoing up as new even though I extracted the prisoner. I did it again and extracted the prisoner (they might have died though I don't remember if they died or some random person I fultoned). I went in a third time and now there's no prisoner but it's still showing up as new

If there's a check, it's done. If it's blue, you can still play it again if you want and get the rewards again, but you don't have to for any progression.

About the prisoner not being there, you either have a bug (which I haven't had yet and I've done a hundred+ of the side ops) or he's just hiding real well. Sometimes guards don't know their location because they escaped. Just use DD to find them or wear the NVGs and walk around looking for a heat signature.

MGS1 is my favorite in the series, and my favorite game of all time. Though I've gone through a bit of an evolution on my perspective of the game over the last year.

Throughout my youth, I didn't read much and only watched movies and half-hour shows. I didn't experience any long narriatives with serious character development with a large casts. MGS was my first, and it's impact on me was huge. The story, characters, enviroment, plot twists, drama, and finale.... wow... it still holds up after 17 years.

But the game as a whole, as I've finally come to realize, is seriously flawed. These videos from a journalist I respect helped me see this.

[Yt]zQx_VG4S2Vc[/MEDIA]
[Yt]1ljAHf4zGQs[/MEDIA]

While I don't agree with everything he says in the videos, like he kinda insults the stealth system.... which was good for the time.

And this video he praises MGS3, and while I'd say MGS3's story is significantly weaker in some aspects (Volgin and the Cobra Unit), the gameplay is absolute awesome. The best the series has displayed.

[Yt]N_-jyF987MQ[/MEDIA]

It's a long video, but very worth it.

So in closing, MGS1 is my favorite because of it's personal impact, but I aknowledge that MGS3 is the better game.

If there's a check, it's done. If it's blue, you can still play it again if you want and get the rewards again, but you don't have to for any progression.

About the prisoner not being there, you either have a bug (which I haven't had yet and I've done a hundred+ of the side ops) or he's just hiding real well. Sometimes guards don't know their location because they escaped. Just use DD to find them or wear the NVGs and walk around looking for a heat signature.

My roommate also said to wait until I get ddog (I don't have him yet lol).

I interrogated some soldiers and they mentioned a skilled soldier but no prisoner. I guess he's hidden somewhere else. I'll just wait and get ddog first before going back there.

You have to put things in some context when comparing them. Of course MGS3 is the better game now, but did it blow you away as much in 2004 as MGS did in '98? My answer is no.

I can pretty much do any side mission with smoke grenades and cqc

Yep. Smoke Grenade, Decoy and Stun Grenades and you can fly through most side missions undetected.

Using sneaking suits has made me really lazy. I pretty much zoom through, tranq anything within 50 meters. During night missions I don't even bother crawling anymore.

I'm 25% complete and the hardest stealth mission was getting that certain VIP person in his Russian lab. Did it during the day and it was intense.

New and final trailer for MGS5, this shit hit me right in the feels.

MGS1 doesn't look great but once you get into the story you tend to forget all about it. It actually looks better on a ps1 emulator, because you can clean it up a bit.

But companies remake EVERYTHING and will keep doing so into infinity so I wouldn't be surprised if we get it some day. I just might not be a young man anymore when they decide too. God knows Resident Evil fans got old waiting for RE2.

Companies remake games that are guaranteed to be hits because their original release are hits.

MGS1 has a unique situation that it's already been remade, and it flopped. Excuses will be made that it was on GC, or bad word-of-mouth due to the changes that were made, or because it only came out five and a half years after the original. But the simple fact is that development companies and publishers only care about sales.

As much as I love MGS1, if I were a CEO of a development company, I wouldn't remake MGS1 because of the previous failure of it's previous remake. Too much risk.

However, I would guage the fanbase's interest in doing that 'online fundraiser' thing.

New and final trailer for MGS5, this shit hit me right in the feels.

FFFUUUCCCKK why does Big Boss turn into Skull face there!?!? Did anybody notice Eli (who i'm 99.9999% sure is young liquid) with big boss and the crew at mother base!?

I need to play this now

I always try to let everyone live when I play a MGS game...so I can be a good guy.

But then again in MGS5 I've kidnapped the entire Russian army basically. Does that make me a bad dude?

Pssh hell no. I'm sure they enjoy Outer Heaven more than the previous hell hole they were in in Afghanistan.

You have to put things in some context when comparing them. Of course MGS3 is the better game now, but did it blow you away as much in 2004 as MGS did in '98? My answer is no.

I agree 100%. MGS3 is a close 2nd imo but the first game gave me a ton of memories that I will never forget

I've done 50 or so side ops and now no new ones appear. What gives? Do I have to beat that shit stain Sahelanthropus?

Edit: Just S ranked that bitch in 2 minutes with the anti aircraft vehicle. A bunch of new side ops appeared!

FFFUUUCCCKK why does Big Boss turn into Skull face there!?!? Did anybody notice Eli (who i'm 99.9999% sure is young liquid) with big boss and the crew at mother base!?

I need to play this now

Don't know why BB turns into skullface, but theories out there suggest Skullface is just an illusion in BB mind, maybe BB is skullface or all the bad shit he does he thinks skullface did it. Who knows, but it's very interesting.

Also Eli being liquid was all but flat out confirmed in the last e3 trailer. Check it out of you haven't.

I've done 50 or so side ops and now no new ones appear. What gives? Do I have to beat that shit stain Sahelanthropus?

In order to get more main story missions you might have to beat some side ops. Vice versa also applies.

I love every MSG game and have play everyone of them atleast 3 times each and 5+ with snake eater but can't never follow the story for shit.

Pretty sure I glitched Salehanthropus. It never did the red mist thing and mini psycho mantis never came. Just pure destruction. Used the auto cannon plus shot the tanks on its back and grenades on its legs.

Don't know why BB turns into skullface, but theories out there suggest Skullface is just an illusion in BB mind, maybe BB is skullface or all the bad shit he does he thinks skullface did it. Who knows, but it's very interesting.

Also Eli being liquid was all but flat out confirmed in the last e3 trailer. Check it out of you haven't.

"A ghost Without a past"

"Those who "don't Exist""

Yep that is a very interesting thoery

It's the total opposite for me. MGS 3 was my first and everything about it blew my mind. I'd never played a boss battle like the End. I'd never seen a story like that before. The camo system, having to eat, and fixing my own injuries left me mesmerized.

Everything in the last half had an incredible effect on my young mind. From Snake's torture scene to the Sorrow to Volgin to the Shagohod to the Boss. And of course, the ending. I had never felt so much emotion in a video game before and since then.

That is how both games contextually compare for me.

Mission 20..what the actual fuck.

Reminded me of the gory hallway in mgs where the ninja dude sliced up all the soldiers. I was actually uneasy playing that mission. The graphics and atmosphere were chilling.

It's the total opposite for me. MGS 3 was my first and everything about it blew my mind. I'd never played a boss battle like the End. I'd never seen a story like that before. The camo system, having to eat, and fixing my own injuries left me mesmerized.

Everything in the last half had an incredible effect on my young mind. From Snake's torture scene to the Sorrow to Volgin to the Shagohod to the Boss. And of course, the ending. I had never felt so much emotion in a video game before and since then.

If 3 was your first than that makes perfect sense, trying to go back and play 1 if 3 was your first would be...difficult. But all your examples of 3 were what 1 was for me. It was revolutionary, it was more than a game. It was an experience. 3 was a great game imo but there was nothing very innovative to really blow me away. The only big innovation to me was the camo index which I thought was a bit over the top, even for a Metal Gear game.

Technology wise, no. It's hard to imagine now, but hearing that much spoken dialogue in a PS1 game was fucking nuts at the time. They also utilized this motion blur tech....stuff, to make parts of the cutscenes look almost CGI-ish, but they were actually the in-game engine. You wouldn't really notice it now, but back then it was pretty fucking cool. Oh', it was also the first game to truly utilize the dual shock controller in new ways, that are second hand today. And then of course the game coming closer to a true cinematic experience than any game has ever done, was an incredible feat.

MGS1 was a true evolutionary step in gaming. Undeniable classic.

MGS3 though was quite a revolution in itself though. Nobody expected much from it, given how MGS2 kind of let a lot of people down. I remember there not being much hype behind it. Then it came out and ended up being one of the greatest games of all time. Not quite the evolutionary step of MGS1, but just perfect in nearly every way. I think MGS still being relevent today can be attributed to MGS3 picking up the slack when it absolutely had to.

I wasn't a big fan of MGS4 outside of the multiplayer but I gotta say MGS5 is pretty much a slam dunk GOTY so far.
The only thing I could see upsetting it in my personal rankings is dishonored if they build on what they had in the first game, or some blackhorse awesome multiplayer game.

Technology wise, no. It's hard to imagine now, but hearing that much spoken dialogue in a PS1 game was fucking nuts at the time. They also utilized this motion blur tech....stuff, to make parts of the cutscenes look almost CGI-ish, but they were actually the in-game engine. You wouldn't really notice it now, but back then it was pretty fucking cool. Oh', it was also the first game to truly utilize the dual shock controller in new ways, that are second hand today. And then of course the game coming closer to a true cinematic experience than any game has ever done, was an incredible feat.

MGS1 was a true evolutionary step in gaming. Undeniable classic.

MGS3 though was quite a revolution in itself though. Nobody expected much from it, given how MGS2 kind of let a lot of people down. I remember there not being much hype behind it. Then it came out and ended up being one of the greatest games of all time. Not quite the evolutionary step of MGS1, but just perfect in nearly every way. I think MGS still being relevent today can be attributed to MGS3 picking up the slack when it absolutely had to.

True, if MGS3 wasn't as great as it was and didn't wash out the bad taste left behind by MGS2 the series wouldn't be as celebrated as it is.

As I've stated before, I think MGS1 and 3 are top notch and 2 and 4 are less than great. It's been an absolute hit out of the park or miss series for me. Hopefully if the trend continues 5 will be in the same category as 1 and 3.

I wasn't a big fan of MGS4 outside of the multiplayer but I gotta say MGS5 is pretty much a slam dunk GOTY so far.
The only thing I could see upsetting it in my personal rankings is dishonored if they build on what they had in the first game, or some blackhorse awesome multiplayer game.

Fallout 4 or The Witcher 3. Looking back on the year, it's been a great year to be a gamer.

metal gear V phantom pain is out in FL apparently. Some shops are selling it

Fallout 4 or The Witcher 3. Looking back on the year, it's been a great year to be a gamer.

Fallout is my personal favorite series ever. But I have a hard time giving Bethesda high scores because of how buggy their games are.

Kinda wanna replay MGS just to watch Eli die. I've never hated a character so much.

If 3 was your first than that makes perfect sense, trying to go back and play 1 if 3 was your first would be...difficult. But all your examples of 3 were what 1 was for me. It was revolutionary, it was more than a game. It was an experience. 3 was a great game imo but there was nothing very innovative to really blow me away. The only big innovation to me was the camo index which I thought was a bit over the top, even for a Metal Gear game.

Interesting discussion.

I've always wondered if kids today would love Star Wars Episode 1-3 because of the CGI and scoff at the original trilogy because they're 'old' and outdated. The original trilogy inspired practically everything else scifi related, and it'd be curious to see that somehow watered down the greatness of the first movies.

Holy shit I love this game. Started playing last Saturday night and I already have 25 hours played.

I have the entire layout of Metal Gear Solid 1 burned into my mind..... I honestly don't believe that's healthy.... but Jesus it shows how good of a game that was. in my opinion Metal Gear Solid is one of the best game series ever made. and anybody who disagrees with me is mentally sick and deserve to be shot I'm afraid to say.
anyways I doubt it will happen but I really hope he gets the rights of the game from Konami.

Does the game ever get frustratingly difficult? The difficulty right now ranges from pretty easy to a bit challenging. The difficulties come from trying to be as sneaky as possible, I imagine if you just kill people it would be pretty easy though.

A couple of the missions I saw my friend playing looked like a pain in the ass. Basically anything with skulls does not look fun. I'm on main mission 15 now.

Interesting discussion.

I've always wondered if kids today would love Star Wars Episode 1-3 because of the CGI and scoff at the original trilogy because they're 'old' and outdated. The original trilogy inspired practically everything else scifi related, and it'd be curious to see that somehow watered down the greatness of the first movies.

I was a kid when the prequel trilogy was released and hated the he'll out of them. Though I thought Revenge was decent. I haven't watched the original trilogy in ten years because of those fanned CGIed Special Editions. Which reminds me, I need to find the original versions of they're anywhere.

Reminded me of the gory hallway in mgs where the ninja dude sliced up all the soldiers. I was actually uneasy playing that mission. The graphics and atmosphere were chilling.

You're not kidding, it was pretty chilling. The encounter afterwards was just icing on the cake. Its easily my favorite mission so far.

I really tried to Fulton the Man On Fire. No luck.

I had way more fun playing MGS2 than I did Snake Eater. I really think that game would be held in much higher regard if Raidan (sp?) didn't replace Snake for the majority of the game. MSG1 is still miles ahead of both in my opinion but you cannot compare late 90's games to mid-00 game to today's games in an objective fashion.

You're not kidding, it was pretty chilling. The encounter afterwards was just icing on the cake. Its easily my favorite mission so far.

I really tried to Fulton the Man On Fire. No luck.

Yeah, psycho mantis pops the balloons

I was a kid when the prequel trilogy was released and hated the he'll out of them. Though I thought Revenge was decent. I haven't watched the original trilogy in ten years because of those fanned CGIed Special Editions. Which reminds me, I need to find the original versions of they're anywhere.

Some fans have remastered the early 90's laser disk version of the movies in decent quality. The original movies are still out there and very watchable. Even with all that said the CGI added don't really change the movies so don't let that stop you from watching the special editions.

Does the game ever get frustratingly difficult? The difficulty right now ranges from pretty easy to a bit challenging. The difficulties come from trying to be as sneaky as possible, I imagine if you just kill people it would be pretty easy though.

A couple of the missions I saw my friend playing looked like a pain in the ass. Basically anything with skulls does not look fun. I'm on main mission 15 now.

The skulls can be tricky, the final boss fight can get tough, and as you progress, the missions do get harder. More enemies, they'll acquire helmets, nightvision goggles, shields, making tranquilizing them more difficult.

Hell, from my overuse of sleep grenades, my enemies now have gas masks.

Back