• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Merab vs Aldo - arguably best fight this weekend. Who wins?

Who Wins?

• Total voters

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
And just as arguably Aldo has the best TDD of all time. I was always interested in a possible match up between Khabib and Aldo. I have no doubt if they were the same size, Aldo would run him over too, prime for prime.

This is probably as close as we ever will to that hypothetical match up. Merab is in my opinion just as good as Khabib at a similar point in their careers, but just doesn't have that luster of undefeated record, nor the robbery against Tibau.

I think Merab is going to put Aldo on his backfoot and go forward, and I'm not sure if he will have easy time taking Aldo down, but perhaps he could, we will find out.

I lean toward Merab by volume and pressure, but I can see Aldo picking him apart as well. I think it's going to depend on how willing Aldo is going to be to throw his own offense out there against Merab's pressure.

Who wins this weekend?

Last edited:
jose-aldo.gif

tough call. it all hinges on if merab can land the takedown.

if aldo can stuff them and keep distance, he wins. If merab gets him down or can make the fight gritty with constant pressure, aldo wilts due to exhaustion.

Backing Merab but won't be disappointed with an Aldo win. '

Well as long as it's a solid scrap!

When has Merab ever had the top control or GnP ability of Khabib?

What a ridiculous take. Merab is good but he's definitely no Khabib.

Sure showed it against some world class wrestlers and grapplers like Poirier, Justin and Conor, his top LW wins.

Gotta be Aldo, right??

I'm no big fan of his but his TDD is usually legendary and Merab can't really strike. I'd be quite shocked if Merab can wrestlefuck him to a decision. Aldo isn't washed up yet.

Aldo’s TDD hasnt looked as good at BW but he’s gonna see everything coming from Merab. He knows exactly what to expect. I’m leaning towards Aldo unless age suddenly caught up to him

I'm rooting for Aldo, and I think he stands a good chance. He does seem to have more power at 135lbs, for sure. However, what worries me is that Aldo's never been the best at fighting inside the clinch, where I know Merab will do his damndest to keep the fight. He'll have to constantly be fighting off the back-foot, pivoting, and making Merab pay every time he tries to close distance or breaks the clinch. It's a tough fight for him, but I think he can do it.

We all think Aldo has a good shot against Aljo and Merab is somewhat similar in approach and is a teammate of Aljo's. This fight will tell you how that camp will approach a fight with Aldo if Aljo is the champ.

History says Aldo but a fighter can seemingly age overnight with this much fight mileage; at this age; and considering we haven't seen him fight since December.

Merab will be bringing pressure and cardio in spades. Even if he isn't able to get Aldo down he could still win the fight through control and pressure on the cards.

Aldo will have to find the right balance between being reactionary and proactive, not walking into takedowns and find a way to stay standing while not being pressed into the cage or stalled. Aldo has more tools, but Merab has cardio and the fight controlling style which could win him the bout.

I'm rooting for Aldo. I would hate to see his streak at 135 derailed on points here in an uneventful fight. He said he took the bout to stay busy rather than wait. I hope it doesn't backfire.

I can see Aldo fading badly from a grapple heavy game plan. That being said, it’s only 3 rounds. Fun to my head, Aldo gets beat. I hope I’m wrong.

We all think Aldo has a good shot against Aljo and Merab is somewhat similar in approach and is a teammate of Aljo's. This fight will tell you how that camp will approach a fight with Aldo if Aljo is the champ.

History says Aldo but a fighter can seemingly age overnight with this much fight mileage; at this age; and considering we haven't seen him fight since December.

Merab will be bringing pressure and cardio in spades. Even if he isn't able to get Aldo down he could still win the fight through control and pressure on the cards.

Aldo will have to find the right balance between being reactionary and proactive, not walking into takedowns and find a way to stay standing while not being pressed into the cage or stalled. Aldo has more tools, but Merab has cardio and the fight controlling style which could win him the bout.

I'm rooting for Aldo. I would hate to see his streak at 135 derailed on points here in an uneventful fight. He said he took the bout to stay busy rather than wait. I hope it doesn't backfire.

He looked so bad on the scales, his cut to 135lbs is a severe one.

Back