mendes vs gamburyan!? why???

thewhiterooster

dana hates sunscreen
@Brown
Reaction score
manny has one win in his last four. chad mendes is arguably a number 1 contender. this fight makes no sense to me. i'm guessing most of you agree. who should have chad mendes fought instead? chan sung jung or maybe denis siver? other???

Siver is fighting Swanson, KZ is still injured and possibly waiting for the nex title shot, Im guessing Mendes wanted to stay busy and he was the best available

I like the fight. Despite Manny's current slump he's still a challenging fight. And Mendes is still developing as a fighter. I think this fight makes plenty of sense. He could also beat a lot of the other contenders that are lined up for a title shot. I don't think too many people would be that excited about an Aldo/Mendes rematch.

They don't want to feed any potential contenders to Mendes.

That leaves them out of options for title shots.

Similar to Fitch, the UFC is going to prolong giving Mendes anyone in the top 5-10 for awhile since he just lost. Though WW is far more stacked and even the lower division WW's are tough. The lower end of FW is a joke and Mendes will finish his competition easily.

This will lead to hype and another title shot down the line.

Similar to Fitch, the UFC is going to prolong giving Mendes anyone in the top 5-10 for awhile since he just lost. Though WW is far more stacked and even the lower division WW's are tough. The lower end of FW is a joke and Mendes will finish his competition easily.

this.

i think this is the right thing to do with chad anyways, even though he is so highly touted, he doesn't have alot of experience still. no reason to rush him back to the top where he'll just get put in limbo. he'll be taking "fun" fights and opponents where he can iron out his weaknesses against.

Manny is still a tough fight. The guys he has lost to are hardly chumps. His worst loss is to Tyson Griffin, a guy who was supposed to be the next big thing at 155.

Cause they know Manny isn't a contender and they don't want Mendes to beat all the other contenders since he just lost to the champ.

All the reasons said above me. Mendes is stating busy which is more you can say about than alot of fighters. Look at Aldo, who's last opponent was chad who already has his 3rd fight lined up since that loss. The two fights were admittedly squash matches but he's building himself up again. The UFC isn't going to give a shot anytime soon unless Jose moves up.

Manny is tough and definetly better than his last opponents but I still suspect chad to win via tko.

I think they are trying to Mendes into an exciting fighter and to build up a Mendes highlight reel for the fans by these current mismatches that they keep puttin ghim into.

UFC bidding time to see if Jose beats Edgar and moves up so that they can start recycling challengers

agree with everything except the lower end of FW being a joke, Chad is the 2nd best FW in the world so obviously hes gonna crush sub top 20 competition. Just like Johnny Hendricks would.

i dont think Chad will finish Manny though like Hendricks would do to the equivalent at WW.

FW is extremely deep, not many guys in the division i see giving Aldo trouble but there are soo many tough guys in that division.

agree with everything except the lower end of FW being a joke, Chad is the 2nd best FW in the world so obviously hes gonna crush sub top 20 competition. Just like Johnny Hendricks would.

i dont think Chad will finish Manny though like Hendricks would do to the equivalent at WW.

FW is extremely deep, not many guys in the division i see giving Aldo trouble but there are soo many tough guys in that division.

I agree FW is extremely deep, prob 2nd after LW for me but they get this constant flow of LWs who drop down as a last resort or reactionary move becuase a loss at LW sends you back so far ie: Stevenson, Griffin, McKenzie etc.

they want to keep chad's winning streak going so he can fight for the title again

Back