Megadeth > Metallica and it isn't even close

Just because something is more complex or harder to play does not mean it's better songwriting. So many metal players are completely handicapped by this. I've had guitar players that can run circles around me, yet they could never even get a band together to book out of town or out of state. They just can't put riffs together that are hooks. Metallica was great at writing songs with hooks, and that's why they caught on and those albums have stayed as classics much better than what Megadeth has done.

He's right, but it's like choosing between two metal bands you really like.

Now that I think about it, it's almost exactly like that
It's entirely subjective, so no point in arguing too much about it really.

They're both great bands, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

There have been times where I was a bigger fan of one band over the other.

Megadeth have remained a great band while Metallica's best work in decades is one song imo "Spit Out The Bone".

... They played "Back in the Day" on an ep of Duck Dodgers??

Have you heard any of this, a buddy has been playing some really odd remixes of Deth songs, apparently sanctioned by Dave, and apparently utilizing the original studio tracks.
Ranges from awful to interesting.
Not only that, the entire episode was based around Dave coming out of Cryosleep to play a show at the end of the episode.

It's entirely subjective, so no point in arguing too much about it really.

They're both great bands, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

There have been times where I was a bigger fan of one band over the other.

Megadeth have remained a great band while Metallica's best work in decades is one song imo "Spit Out The Bone".
Agreed. I've largely stopped listening to Metallica because I played the first four records into the ground.
Megadeth has a lengthier catalogue, and have scattered decent to good songs over more albums.

Just because something is more complex or harder to play does not mean it's better songwriting. So many metal players are completely handicapped by this. I've had guitar players that can run circles around me, yet they could never even get a band together to book out of town or out of state. They just can't put riffs together that are hooks. Metallica was great at writing songs with hooks, and that's why they caught on and those albums have stayed as classics much better than what Megadeth has done.

Classics for who? Casuals that listen to rock occasionally?

If you are a rock/metal fan and you don’t consider Megadeth classic, you are a fucking moron. No way around it.

You have a right for a bad opinion and a bad musical taste, but your “classic” argument is just idiotic.

If you are a rock/metal fan and you don’t consider Megadeth classic, you are a fucking moron. No way around it.

You have a right for a bad opinion and a bad musical taste, but your “classic” argument is just idiotic.
He's not wrong until he gets to the end, where the post takes a dive into an ocean of stupid.

I'd rather hear nails on a chalk board than Dave Mustaine's voice. Its just grating.

That’s exactly where he lost me.
I mean, whose awesome bass line did MTV use as their theme music?

MD benefited from not having a set lineup, and that was all to the good as each era had a ton of fresh talent. And, IMO, the most important part of metal is the quality of the guitar playing, and the sound. Both bands get mad props, but the nod goes to Megadeth easily.

I like both bands and grew up listening to them. Metallica will always have that special place though.

I mean, whose awesome bass line did MTV use as their theme music?

MD benefited from not having a set lineup, and that was all to the good as each era had a ton of fresh talent. And, IMO, the most important part of metal is the quality of the guitar playing, and the sound. Both bands get mad props, but the nod goes to Megadeth easily.

That's to Mustaine's credit. Even being a huge junkie in the 80s, he managed to write amazing music and recruit really great musicians that respected Mustaine's skills enough to provide their best effort.

Metallica has always had average musicians, and don't even mention Cliff Burton. We are talking Megadeth level musicianship here. Cliff stood out in Metallica because the other guys are just average.

Metallica did write some pretty great songs, but they only went so far. If you really love metal, you don't worship Metallica. Period. They are good, but they are too basic. You go beyond, and you discover Megadeth.

One thing I love about Dave is his hand strength. Like myself, he learned the spider chord from Robert Fripp... but it takes a lot of stamina.

He's not wrong until he gets to the end, where the post takes a dive into an ocean of stupid.

Maybe you both are reading into it what you want to read or you both have reading comprehension issues. Metallica's first four are far more classic overall than what Megadeth has done. That really shouldn't be a controversial stance, nor does it mean that Megadeth hasn't put out classics. Furthermore, lol at "casuals that listen to rock occasionally" as if Megadeth is some underground band. Yes, you went way deep with "You go beyond, and you discover Megadeth". That's a deep discovery bro.

I lol at some of the comments because I happen to love Dave's vox. There was a bad time for him for.sure, but overall I have always loved his voice and especially the last decade his vocals have been killer. Fuck please listen to dystopia and tell me.this guy didn't get 100x better as he got older.

Maybe you both are reading into it what you want to read or you both have reading comprehension issues. Metallica's first four are far more classic overall than what Megadeth has done. That really shouldn't be a controversial stance, nor does it mean that Megadeth hasn't put out classics. Furthermore, lol at "casuals that listen to rock occasionally" as if Megadeth is some underground band. Yes, you went way deep with "You go beyond, and you discover Megadeth". That's a deep discovery bro.
You and I agree in that you're wrong, but you're free to have my opinion. ;)

Metallica's first four are far more classic overall than what Megadeth has done. That really shouldn't be a controversial stance

It's not controversial because it's only your own opinion. You are allowed to have a bad musical taste. Maybe you think they are "more classic" because they sold more? BTW, MORE classic is a stupid concept, either you are a classic or you are not.

It's such a shallow, poor taste, though. In terms of innovation and influence, bands that really challenged the standards and changed music for the upcoming bands, worshipping Metallica is laughable. You go beyond that, or you go back to listening to radio songs, like you seem to be used to.

Megadeth's first four albums, actually take only numbers two and four, present songs that Metallica couldn't even dream of composing.

At what point do we stop rewarding past glory and take the entire catalog into account on how we judge the bands. IMO metallica has not produced a good album and quite honestly a good song since 1990. That's 29 years already. Conversely, Dave has written and recorded some.of his best material in the last 29 years. If we can call their careers by decade we will give metallica the 80s then megadeth sweeps the next three decades with absolute ease.
So the question is this, do the first four or five metallica albums eclipse 15 megadeth albums, assuming you are tossing load reload st anger lol DM lulu lol again and hardwired in the garbage.

Huge Metallica fan and Megadeth fan. I don’t think you can compare entire catalogs of albums between bands who’ve been at it for as long as these two. Just like you shouldn’t compare yourself to yourself 30 years ago. Then again, you shouldn’t listen to me because my favorite Metallica albums are Load and Re-Load.

metallica haven't made a decent album since 1990, they're still trading on their first 5 albums for live material, and that says all you need to know about who are better.ive seen metallica once, thats all i needed, i'll always go see megadeth any chance i get.

Back