Megadeth > Metallica and it isn't even close

bjpenngoat

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The first four metallica records are brilliant. Every track, every riff every part of every song. But it just dies there. Black album had moments I guess. Load, reload, st anger, death magnetic lulu and hardwired are absolute shit.

Megadeth not only has classic albums to pull from but they never sucked. Some albums were weak, but they have been so consistent over the yesrs. Their last album, dystopia is amazing. Dave is getting better as a vocalist and musician as he ages.

James Lars and kirk have regressed so far. So yeah I can romanticise the first four metallica albums and pretend its 1989, or I can objectively look at the entire catalog and for me its not even close.

Fight me.

BJ Penn and Megadeath suck.

I like Megadeth more than Metallica.

Megadeth had better musicianship for sure and was a very good band, but those first four Metallica albums are precisely why Metallica was a better band.

Only enjoy Metallica's first two albums where i think Kill Em All is glorious and Ride The Lightning is good. Never really listened to Megadeth but i hear Rust In Peace and Peace Sells are supposed to be worthwhile.

Are you me?
Both are great but Megadeth is clearly, clearly better.
Dave is a better guitar player than either Kirk or James. Much.
And player for player, every member of Dave's various bands are simply better musicians than the guys in Metallica.

Was just listening to a live version of 1,320 before he had the lyrics written, blistering

<Prem974> I recall a similar Megadeth>>>>>Metallica thread, from way back in 2018

Megadeth have always had the better musicians too.

Chris Poland, Marty Friedman, Chris Broderick, Kiko Lourero(sp) can all play circles around Hammet and Dave is a far better rhythm player than James.

Metallica are the bigger band though. They've made a career off of milking the success of their first 5, but they're all so damn good. Can't say Megadeth have ever had such strong releases, but they've remained more consistent.

Mustaine has more talent than Metallica's whole lineup. It's really not even close, Metallica's had maybe 3 good albums imo, Megadeth stayed pretty consistently good up until Risk. And they actually have some good stuff in the 2000s. I also think Youthanasia is a criminally underrated album.

Megadeth had better musicianship for sure and was a very good band, but those first four Metallica albums are precisely why Metallica was a better band.

I agree with this and I have Megadeth number two to Metallica number one in my all time list. OP makes a good point about he recent releases of both though, Megadeth have been very consistent since Dave’s comeback, all very good albums (bar Supercollider) and Dystopia was indeed excellent.

I'm an old school metal head.. the first concert I ever saw was Testament with Nuclear Assault and Savatage in 1990 ( I think? haha) when I was like 16 or 17 years old. The first 4 albums by BOTH band are amazing. Then they both fell off IMO, Metallica in songwriting, and Megadeth certainly in vocal abilities, even though Het has had his ups and downs vocally over the years, Mustaine's live vocals after 92 are beyond annoying to me, such a turn off.
From a guitarist standpoint. Hammett is one the most Overrated metal guitarist from that era/scene. Mustaine, Friedman, Skolnick, Holt, and a plethora of others run fucking circles around Hammett.. and well, don't get me started on Lars.
To me, Metallica just got kinda cheesy, not to say they should have written the same albums over and over ala ACDC, but they just became something I did not care for. Megadeth to me , even though I don't care for anything after RIP, kept the same mentality? I don't know how to put it..
But regardless... the first 4 albums by both are killer. Anthrax should not be in the Big4 and Exodus is criminally underrated. I'm glad Hammett left them..

To the OP.. yow are right that NOW mustaine's vox has gotten better, because he finally accepted his new range and accommodated that to the songs..but he really was awful live for a good many years. Roger Daltrey did the same thing.. he sounded like shitballs in the late 80's and then realized he couldn't sing the old songs in the same voice, changed it up, and became better again.

Last edited:
I'm an old school metal head.. the first concert I ever saw was Testament with Nuclear Assault and Savage in 1990 ( I think? haha) when I was like 16 or 17 years old. The first 4 albums by BOTH band are amazing. Then they both fell off IMO, Metallica in songwriting, and Megadeth certainly in vocal abilities, even though Het has had his ups and downs vocally over the years, Mustaine's live vocals after 92 are beyond annoying to me, such a turn off.
From a guitarist standpoint. Hammett is one the most Overrated metal guitarist from that era/scene. Mustaine, Friedman, Skolnick, Holt, and a plethora of others run fucking circles around Hammett.. and well, don't get me started on Lars.
To me, Metallica just got kinda cheesy, not to say they should have written the same albums over and over ala ACDC, but they just became something I did not care for. Megadeth to me , even though I don't care for anything after RIP, kept the same mentality? I don't know how to put it..
But regardless... the first 4 albums by both are killer. Anthrax should not be in the Big4 and Exodus is criminally underrated. I'm glad Hammett left them..

Agree with certain parts of your post, Metallica first 4 albums were very good, I also feel they had a big fanbase within the metal magazine media, I recall as a non playing impressionable teen, being told how great Kirk was and how Lars was an awesome drummer, I don't remember them ever getting a bad review, I can't say the same for other band in the big 4, as for the big 4, i'm sure you know, it was just a tag place on the bands concerned because they happen to be signed to big record label, with that being said, I have soft spot for Anthrax, as they actually got me interested in metal in 1987

Agree with certain parts of your post, Metallica first 4 albums were very good, I also feel they had a big fanbase within the metal magazine media, I recall as a non playing impressionable teen, being told how great Kirk was and how Lars was an awesome drummer, I don't remember them ever getting a bad review, I can't say the same for other band in the big 4, as for the big 4, i'm sure you know, it was just a tag place on the bands concerned because they happen to be signed to big record label, with that being said, I have soft spot for Anthrax, as they actually got me interested in metal in 1987
Hey man I'm from New York, I dig Anthrax. Among the Living is aces in my book, but one great album does not put you in the pantheon of thrash greats. And you are right.. back in the day, Lars and Kirk were very highly regarded, I had stacks of metal mags (should have kept them all) . No one down picked like Hetfield, and the two guitarists complimented themselves very well. But anyone with half an ear knows that Lars got super slow and never evolved, and stopped even attempting many of his old fills, and Kirk just got plain sloppy. He became a one trick Wah pedal pony (still better than me, but I'm not a professional musician) and he seemed to have regressed for a couple of years, a lot of his late 90's to late 2000 solos were pretty brutal, and not in a good way. I must say though, that they seem to have gotten tighter live, since Hardwired came out. Like they got a second wind or something..

Last edited:
Hey man In from New York, I dig Anthrax. Among the Living is aces in my book, but one great album does not put you in the pantheon of thrash greats. And you are right.. back in the day, Lars and Kirk were very highly regarded, I had stacks of metal mags (should have kept them all) . No one down picked like Hetfield, and the two guitarists complimented themselves very well. But anyone with half an ear knows that Lars got super slow and never evolved, and stopped even attempting many of his old fills, and Kirk just got plain sloppy. He became a one trick Wah pedal pony (still better than me, but I'm not a professional musician) and he seemed to have regressed for a couple of years, a lot of his late 90's to late 2000 solos were pretty brutal, and not in a good way. I must say though, that they seem to have gotten tighter live, since Hardwired came out. Like they got a second wind or something..
you maybe right, but I think Anthrax got a lot of shit from reviewers after Among The Living, maybe correctly, I don't know, I just remember rebuying persistence of time 20 years after I had originally bought it, and two clerks told my it was 'fuckin awesome' I just thought, at that moment, they had an untainted view, I remember it getting panned by guys who probably wore demin and leather to work, and were pissed of with Anthrax and their Bermuda shorts stuff, and like I said earlier, the big 4 isn't necessarily the best 4, just means, they sign with a big label first.

Great point above about metallica being the darling of traditional metal media. They never got scorched until st anger.

The first four metallica records are brilliant. Every track, every riff every part of every song. But it just dies there. Black album had moments I guess. Load, reload, st anger, death magnetic lulu and hardwired are absolute shit.

Megadeth not only has classic albums to pull from but they never sucked. Some albums were weak, but they have been so consistent over the yesrs. Their last album, dystopia is amazing. Dave is getting better as a vocalist and musician as he ages.

James Lars and kirk have regressed so far. So yeah I can romanticise the first four metallica albums and pretend its 1989, or I can objectively look at the entire catalog and for me its not even close.

Fight me.

First, I totally agree with your take on how good Metallica once was and when and where they began their decline.

But the only area where I can give it to Megadeth over Metallica is in the radio-friendly metal single category. Symphony of Destruction is a far better song than Enter Sandman. Or any single that charted off TBA. It's not even close.

But when it comes to the deep tracks, the best of Metallica is far superior to the best of Megadeth.

(Added note: Will also say that every lead guitarist Megadeth ever had was better than Hammet. And the best of the solos on Megadeth material buries the best of Kirk.)

To me, metallica is like bj Penn. The early fights were amazing and hooked me as a fan. Every time he fought it was a huge event. Then he had a draw against Fitch which was his black album moment, then it all went to absolute shit. When I look at the career of someone like hendo who had some huge wins and huge loses as well but stayed consistent to an extent and won Some big fights even later in life, to me its a no brainer that he had a better career than Penn.
So now I guess I need to change my name to danhendogoat.

Mustaine has more talent than Metallica's whole lineup. It's really not even close, Metallica's had maybe 3 good albums imo, Megadeth stayed pretty consistently good up until Risk. And they actually have some good stuff in the 2000s. I also think Youthanasia is a criminally underrated album.

Megadeth over Metallica all day, every day, and twice on Sundays.

Youthanasia is one of my GOAT albums EVER. All killer, ZERO filler. Every song on that album was like Fedor in Pride.

EPIC.

Back