Megadeth > Metallica and it isn't even close

I still recall the day Justice dropped.
Put the records on, and liked some of the songs. But hardly any bass, noticeable immediately. And a few songs that left me wtf'ing.
The Black album, that was the one that ended my Metallica purchasing days.

Once James got it into his head that his pretty voice should sing ballads, it wouldn't have been much of a shock to hear a "la la laaaa" solo where the guitar solo was.

Turn the Page? Nobody said that was one of the least Metallica songs possible?
Why not cover Uptown Girl? She's been living in her uptown world!

Question.

Mechanix, or Four Horsemen?

I can't decide but think I like FH a bit better.

Also, I wish the record company had let them call their debut release Metal Up Your Ass.

Also, Lars is... not particularly solid.

Kirk really has melodicism to his playing, a dimension Dave lacks mostly. But my interest in hearing melodic solos is really a heavy, not speed or thrash, metal thing. A great example is Maiden.

James definitely is the better vocalist. When he's not crooning.
But in both cases, I can't imagine someone else singing for the Big Two, as I think of them.

<bball1>
<Prem974>
<41>
I'll let it pass without comment. Three smilies and a comment. Same thing.
:D

Yeah, I know. Black, Load, and Re-load are the most common albums on rotation for me. Love S&M and the first Garage album too. Not to say that Kill em All and the “core” albums aren’t great.

"Load" is a master-piece. The only problem - it's the Metallica boys that played those songs. "Bleeding me", "Until it sleeps", "Thorn within"...all 10s. While Metallica has lost some of it's creativity down the road, the guys are still killing it live, and I like some of the newer stuff. Both Megadeth and Metallica are fantastic bands.

Question.

Mechanix, or Four Horsemen?

I can't decide but think I like FH a bit better.

good question, but I've always leaned towards 'Fade to Black' vs. 'In My Darkest Hour'.

Fade to Black is way more catchier but cheesy at the same time.

gotta go with IMDH because of the movements, & the feels, aside from being a lot more technical.

The first four metallica records are brilliant. Every track, every riff every part of every song. But it just dies there. Black album had moments I guess. Load, reload, st anger, death magnetic lulu and hardwired are absolute shit.

Megadeth not only has classic albums to pull from but they never sucked. Some albums were weak, but they have been so consistent over the yesrs. Their last album, dystopia is amazing. Dave is getting better as a vocalist and musician as he ages.

James Lars and kirk have regressed so far. So yeah I can romanticise the first four metallica albums and pretend its 1989, or I can objectively look at the entire catalog and for me its not even close.

Fight me.

Uh, I dunno if already mentioned but he doesn't really sound that good live for the past few years from the live vids I have seen him in.

200.gif

Wanna add, my fave Megadeth songs are the radio-friendly ones: Trust, Angry Again, Sweating Bullets, She-Wolf, Almost Honest, Tout Le Monde . It's friggin amazing that a thrash metal band is able to have these songs along with Holy Wars and all the heavy stuff they have. There is a theatrical aspect to the songs I have mentioned which I don't really see in most metal bands. Dave is really talented as a songwriter.

I don't really care about the level of musicianship in a band, it is about how good the songs are not the technical merits of the playing. So for me, Metallica blows Megadeth out of the water and it isn't even close.

I do like several Megadeth songs a lot but would struggle to fill a full CD with songs I love by them. Metallica has dozens of songs that I love so they beat Megadeth every day of the week for me.

Also, on that, with the exception of Lightning, Metallica really had production down better than Megadeth for a few years.

That debut release and Peace Sells were a bit muddy.

Back