Mediocre brown belts?

I am not sure but I bet everyone is assuming a 30 year old brown belt. But what about a 55 year old brown belt who "knows BJJ" (in other words, was rightfully promoted). Would he be expected to dominate the super athlete in a world class Blue Div?

I am a new blue (meaning, I dont "know BJJ") but let me say this, I would HOPE that an old brown would win that division... if dont utterly dominate those super athletes.

What do you think?

Peace

Give you an example BJ Penn won the worlds at black belt level after 4 years training. Under alot of schools he would only be a purple belt because of the time rescritions they have on belts.

Ok it seems that you are very new to bjj. There are some things that you seem to have wrong. BJ penn got his black belt and won in the mundials because he proved his abilities in competition. Meaning he won the worlds at purple and blue. In most schools if you win the worlds you will get promoted. The "time restrictions" are there for mere mortals and not phenonms like B.J Penn.

Quick clarification - BJ didn't win the worlds at blue and purple. Or at brown. And in competition-oriented schools, that would be enough reason, a lot of the time, to give him another year at the belt, until he wins. If he wins, promote him and repeat the cycle.

According to his wiki, he took 2nd at Blue, and 3rd at Brown, losing to Terere. Which sounds right to me. So if he was held back until he had won both of those, you're looking at probably a six or seven year black belt. But that would take out all the fun of his achievements. @_@

Quick correction there, sorry. >_<

Take care,

Oli

Mediocre means average, as in it repesents the middle. Mediocre is not a negative term it simply means run of the mill. Most brown belts are average brown belts. So god knows all the world class brown and purple belts you have been meeting.

Correct. I think I worded my previous statement wrong. I guess mediocre to me is a bit of a derogatory term. They may be mediocre in their divisions but they are not mediocre BJJ practicioners. Does that make a bit more sense?

Well OK, if you want to make it the worst 40 year-old brown belt, and he has a cold, vs. the best blue belt in the world, then sure, the blue belt would probably win, lol.

I think Oli's being a little modest though, I'm pretty sure he would destroy the blue belt division at Mundials. He destroyed the purple belt division at Euros and Pan-Ams back when he was a purple, didn't he? Of course I wouldn't know better than him, but he's know for being exceedingly modest.

Quick clarification - BJ didn't win the worlds at blue and purple. Or at brown. And in competition-oriented schools, that would be enough reason, a lot of the time, to give him another year at the belt, until he wins. If he wins, promote him and repeat the cycle.

According to his wiki, he took 2nd at Blue, and 3rd at Brown, losing to Terere. Which sounds right to me. So if he was held back until he had won both of those, you're looking at probably a six or seven year black belt. But that would take out all the fun of his achievements. @_@

Quick correction there, sorry. >_<

Take care,

Oli

actually he did win at the lower belts according to his documentary. but i could be mistaken let me check later. But come on. Wiki?? That thing is horrible when it comes to things like fighter bios.

accoriding to this otm article bj penn was 3rd at brown while fighting at a weight class higher than his natural weight

BJ Penn Interview 2001 | On the Mat | MMA Fight Shop

Last edited:
Just playing Devil's Advocate: the reason a lot of people are taking offense is that "mediocre" doesn't just mean "average". By it's true definition, it means "poor to average in quality" or "inferior to moderate quality".

I am amazed at the responses.

I am pretty sure that the white belt mundial winner at my weight could probably give me a VERY hard time.

Soon all of you are going to realize that to win competitions in BJJ a lot of it comes down to being a good athlete and not so much technical know how. When I was a white belt I won an open belt gi competition by tapping out a purple belt. My techincal knowledge wasn't there, but a solid base and a gassed opponent goes a long way. And I was a college student who was doing MMA everyday, and my purple belt opponent was a father of 2. Guys who have a lot of free time to train will probably beat the guys who don't, no matter what the belt color is. I'm pretty sure that's why they created the masters division.

It's not for people who are older, it's for people who have real life responsibilities.

Excluding the crap brown belts (which I have seen a few at this point) a lot of deserving brown belts who don't have time for conditioning and weight training will lose to lower belts who do.

I kind of thought this was obvious.:icon_cry2

I am amazed at the responses.

I am pretty sure that the white belt mundial winner at my weight could probably give me a VERY hard time.

Soon all of you are going to realize that to win competitions in BJJ a lot of it comes down to being a good athlete and not so much technical know how. When I was a white belt I won an open belt gi competition by tapping out a purple belt. My techincal knowledge wasn't there, but a solid base and a gassed opponent goes a long way. And I was a college student who was doing MMA everyday, and my purple belt opponent was a father of 2. Guys who have a lot of free time to train will probably beat the guys who don't, no matter what the belt color is. I'm pretty sure that's why they created the masters division.

It's not for people who are older, it's for people who have real life responsibilities.

Excluding the crap brown belts (which I have seen a few at this point) a lot of deserving brown belts who don't have time for conditioning and weight training will lose to lower belts who do.

I kind of thought this was obvious.:icon_cry2

I don't normally do this, but...

+1.

^_^

I think Oli's being a little modest though, I'm pretty sure he would destroy the blue belt division at Mundials. He destroyed the purple belt division at Euros and Pan-Ams back when he was a purple, didn't he? Of course I wouldn't know better than him, but he's know for being exceedingly modest.

I would bet no less than a rack, Oli brings home gold at Mundials or Pan Ams at blue belt.

You think if I ask the Federation nicely, they'll let me try this out, on condition that I don't actually keep any medals I might win?

I think it would be an interesting experiment. Or I could just lie about my name and claim to be my identical twin brother, or something.

I can always fight the Brown Belt a couple of days after, and I'll be all warmed up and everything. ^_^

Take care,

Oli

Guy from my team who is a 2 stripe blue tapped the same brown belt in gi and no gi divisions. He also used the same choke both times. [Grapplers Quest]

BTW.. he wasnt sandbagging... I've rolled with him.

I was wondering about something. If you have a mediocre brown belt who is nothing special may place 3rd or 4th at regional tournament. How would they do if you put them in at the worlds or pan am's at the blue belt level?

They should obviously know more about BJJ then the blue belt's but these blue belts at these tournaments are super athletes.

It would be great if there are any mediocre brown belts out there who could answer this.

hmmm I haven't seen a single response such as:

As a mediocre brown belt myself I would like to put my $.02 in.....

Strange, that.

hmmm I haven't seen a single response such as:

As a mediocre brown belt myself I would like to put my $.02 in.....

Strange, that.

I'm a mediocre brown belt, well actually I'm a probationary purple because I'm waiting on a stripe on my blue belt, which will come once I get that damn 4th stripe back on my white belt.

What was the question again?

If we take mediocre to mean average, then okay.

I consider myself an average/mediocre brown belt, on a worldwide scale, with a slightly stronger than average competition game.

Now, what were we talking about?

Take care,

Oli

Guy from my team who is a 2 stripe blue tapped the same brown belt in gi and no gi divisions. He also used the same choke both times. [Grapplers Quest]

BTW.. he wasnt sandbagging... I've rolled with him.

Wtf how did they fight in a gi divison, impossible. No gi though I can see it

I'm a mediocre brown belt, well actually I'm a probationary purple because I'm waiting on a stripe on my blue belt, which will come once I get that damn 4th stripe back on my white belt.

What was the question again?

That was awesome. Lol.

i think nocturno....changed his name...and is back....weak thread nocturno

I could probably chip in a personal opinion based on experience. Not as a "mediocre brownbelt" but as a high-end bluebelt who has competed against the best blues in the world in Abu Dhabi. I can honestly say that I don't think anyone below an "average" brown would be able to win at the highest level bluebelt competitions, although they'd most certainly place. People here seem to be underestimating high-level blues who, especially the competitive ones, would be able to give any average brownbelt a difficult time to say the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back