Mediocre brown belts?

Oh, BTW. Caol Uno started training in the gi.

He is a white belt. Thoughts?

yes he is an exception, an anomaly. Thank you for brining up unique and talented indivisiuals with vast pervious grappling experience.

yes he is an exception, an anomaly. Thank you for brining up unique and talented indivisiuals with vast pervious grappling experience.

That's the thing, bjj rank doesn't count previous experience. Sometimes it's just on a whim of an instructor and a very loose grading system.

Here's an example of some of the fighters at a nogi training session a while back (the fighters at our GB get together once or twice a week for some nogi):

*National Champ Judoka (blackbelt in judo), BJJ purple belt (he's won some open eilte and a lot of 76-70kg classes), Professional MMA fighter @ 76-70kg

*BJJ Brown Belt, Instructor, National Champ at -70kg, Prof MMA fighter at 67 kg

*Collegiate Wrestler, Never trained with a gi (white belt), Prof. MMA fighter at 70 kg (me)

*BJJ Purple Belt, Professional fighter at 80-90 kg, Placed top 5 in ADCC trials

During these sessions, we were all able to submit each other off and on. We all had advantages and disadvantages, but the results were pretty even. The various belt rankings and other accumen go out the window. Skills and results are what matter to me, I guess.

Last edited:
I think that this topic was supposed to exclude people with previous, important experiences. It should be pretty normal for a D1 wrestler to take Bjj faster and start giving troubles to higher belts very soon, or for an olympic judoka to tap out a non competitive high belt; it's more strange to see a two years blue belt who only trained in Bjj tapping out an higher belt and I think this was what the topic was mainly about.

Didn't Baret Yoshida tapout a well known blackbelt as a blue belt?

That's the thing, bjj rank doesn't count previous experience. Sometimes it's just on a whim of an instructor and a very loose grading system.

Here's an example of some of the fighters at a nogi training session a while back (the fighters at our GB get together once or twice a week for some nogi):

*National Champ Judoka (blackbelt in judo), BJJ purple belt (he's won some open eilte and a lot of 76-70kg classes), Professional MMA fighter @ 76-70kg

*BJJ Brown Belt, Instructor, National Champ at -70kg, Prof MMA fighter at 67 kg

*Collegiate Wrestler, Never trained with a gi (white belt), Prof. MMA fighter at 70 kg (me)

*BJJ Purple Belt, Professional fighter at 80-90 kg, Placed top 5 in ADCC trials

During these sessions, we were all able to submit each other off and on. We all had advantages and disadvantages, but the results were pretty even. The various belt rankings and other accumen go out the window. Skills and results are what matter to me, I guess.

the problem with these examples is that it does not take into consideration that usually guys like that get promoted much faster than normal people

Back