Mediocre brown belts?

B3ntleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering about something. If you have a mediocre brown belt who is nothing special may place 3rd or 4th at regional tournament. How would they do if you put them in at the worlds or pan am's at the blue belt level?

They should obviously know more about BJJ then the blue belt's but these blue belts at these tournaments are super athletes.

It would be great if there are any mediocre brown belts out there who could answer this.

You can't be serious.

Too bloody right. A brown belt has been training for around 8-10 years a blue belt between 1-3 years. The blue belt who is competing at a world class blue belt level and winning is probaly a a super athlete.

If you take a away the belts and ask could a super atlete who has been traing for 2 years defeat a regular Joe who has been traing for 9 years?

9 out of 10 times, the brown would smash the blue belt division.

I don't care how much of a super athlete you are, from what I have seen it is extreeeeeeeemely rare for a blue belt to outgrapple a brown belt.

I cant speak for other brown belts, but I'm confident to say that I'd smash the blue belt division at the pan ams or the worlds.

I've trained at a lot of places, with a lot of blue belts, and I've met a lot of really good blue belts but the truth is they are just blue belts.

This statement exempts lifetime wrestlers that have made the switch and play a takedown and stall game, or a takedown and run game. If the person has truly only been training for 2 or 3 years he's going to get smashed by the brown.

There is no such thing as a mediocre brown belt. Belts given because people knows a lot about BJJ is bullshit belts.

This thread is probably a trolljob as most of the threads on this forum is nowdays. Wish we had some moderators here.

We had a brown belt who we never heard of from a town an hour away come to one of our open mats. He was promoted to brown by a Machado black belt in Michigan. He was a SUPER nice guy, but was tapped repeatedly by our white and blue belts. He was probably in his mid 40's, and had a cold.

This black belt has given a couple questionable belts away, but I'm not in a position to judge a black belt.

I cant speak for other brown belts, but I'm confident to say that I'd smash the blue belt division at the pan ams or the worlds.

I've trained at a lot of places, with a lot of blue belts, and I've met a lot of really good blue belts but the truth is they are just blue belts.

This statement exempts lifetime wrestlers that have made the switch and play a takedown and stall game, or a takedown and run game. If the person has truly only been training for 2 or 3 years he's going to get smashed by the brown.

Quoted for Truth

There is no such thing as a mediocre brown belt. Belts given because people knows a lot about BJJ is bullshit belts.

This thread is probably a trolljob as most of the threads on this forum is nowdays. Wish we had some moderators here.

+1000000

We had a brown belt who we never heard of from a town an hour away come to one of our open mats. He was promoted to brown by a Machado black belt in Michigan. He was a SUPER nice guy, but was tapped repeatedly by our white and blue belts. He was probably in his mid 40's, and had a cold.

This black belt has given a couple questionable belts away, but I'm not in a position to judge a black belt.

A brown tapped by all the white belts? Yikes.

Our brown belts CRUSH the white belts. Even the really small brown belts.

I'm pretty sure if a solid purple belt could tear through the blue belt division, then a brown belt could.

I was wondering about something. If you have a mediocre brown belt who is nothing special may place 3rd or 4th at regional tournament. How would they do if you put them in at the worlds or pan am's at the blue belt level?

They should obviously know more about BJJ then the blue belt's but these blue belts at these tournaments are super athletes.

It would be great if there are any mediocre brown belts out there who could answer this.

First off "mediocre brown belt" is an oxymoron.

There are guys that compete all the time, guys that compete some, and guys that compete rarely.

It's unfair to call any brown belt mediocre even if they aren't sweeping the Mundials.

A brown belt that doesn't compete every weekend is not worse than a blue belt who does, and it seems to me you're trying to make it appear that way?

Maybe I'm wrong, but suggesting they be put in with blue belts at tournaments seems... I dunno...

Too bloody right. A brown belt has been training for around 8-10 years a blue belt between 1-3 years. The blue belt who is competing at a world class blue belt level and winning is probaly a a super athlete.

If you take a away the belts and ask could a super atlete who has been traing for 2 years defeat a regular Joe who has been traing for 9 years?

Since you put it that way....

There's almost no way a person at brown belt couldn't be a good athlete. Not if you go to a good school. You'd never get that far.

You would have to be like a BJ Penn blue belt to beat any brown belt in a tournament.

This not a troll job. And of coarse there is such a thing as a mediocre brown belt. I didn't say mediocre at bjj. Mediocre as in an average for a brown belt.

Give you an example BJ Penn won the worlds at black belt level after 4 years training. Under alot of schools he would only be a purple belt because of the time rescritions they have on belts.

The blue belts who win at the worlds are the same ones that continue to win at purple, brown and black.

Interesting question. I wonder the same thing a lot about the purple belt and Black belt divisions. How many non placing Black belts could win their weight class at purple belt. The factors involved could be interesting to study; match length and quantity of matches (7 minute vs. 10 minute matches, having 6 matches to get to the medal rounds vs. having 2 or 3), the influence of scouting ones opponents, would a non elite level BB play super conservatively to not lose to a lower level or would they try to submit.

It's easy to say that any Brown belt would demolish any Blue belt, but I don't think that's true. There seems to be a misconception that the things that make someone a certain color belt are the same things that make someone a good competitor but I think these are seperate sets of skills, especially when it comes to the big events.

This not a troll job. And of coarse there is such a thing as a mediocre brown belt. I didn't say mediocre at bjj. Mediocre as in an average for a brown belt.

A mediocre brown belt should still be at *least* a decently high end purple. A decently high end purple should smash a blue, unless someone is severely sandbagging. Also, given that the average for any belt should be 2 stripes, a new brown would be mediocre. A new brown should always toy with a blue like a killer whale playing with a seal.

First of all, just because a person doesn't compete at the Pan-Ams or Mudials, it doesn't make them mediocre. There can be a ton of reasons why people don't compete on that level; including money, family commitments, etc.

One of our smaller brown belts won the open weight division last year in a smaller state tournament. To my knowledge he's never competed in one of the major tournaments, much less placed. But in his run to win that state tourney, he beat several brown belts who competed and placed in the Pan-Ams and / or Mundials.

Secondly, I've never seen a blue belt who could hang with a brown belt; regardless of how athletic the blue was. Granted anything can happen, but as of yet, I haven't seen it and I doubt it would be as cut-and-dry or common for a Mundial-winning blue belt to work over a local comp-winning brown belt.

The road of the blue belt and purple belt are generally the longest ones in the Jiu-Jitsu journey. Most people spend the majority of their time wearing those two belts. That said, the skill gap between a blue and a brown should be large enough that just being a super athlete wouldn't mean it would disappear.

I have never met a mediocre brown belt in my life and I have met many. For that matter, I honestly have never met a mediocre purple belt either. I've met a ton of lackluster blues and whites though.

I'm going to go against the flow and say that there are quite a lot of 'mediocre' brown belts who would have a hard time at blue belt level. I honestly doubt that I would win the worlds at blue light if I entered it this year. There are over 100 people in that division, and each fight is six minutes. Even leaving aside the wrestlers, anyone can have one really good sweep that works, or hit a nice takedown at the beginning, and stall out someone if their conditioning is solid and they know how to play a safe game. Heck, there are blue belts out there who have been training longer than some browns, or at least in the four or five year times, as well as the ones who started when they were really young.

Example, Roberto Satoshi - fought the Brazilian Nationals at Green Belt in 2002. At 13. So his first Blue Belt Adult competition would have been, say, four years later. By that stage, he's got probably seven years training, he's strong, he's fit, and he's a serious competitor. And this is the norm for a lot of the bjj prodigies who started young. You honestly expect a guy who has come two or three times a week for seven or eight years, at forty years old, to handle a guy who has been training full time for seven years?

So...I've said this before, but several of the Purples at the Worlds could have potentially placed at Brown. And I have no doubt that the best blues could beat the worst browns at the worlds. All the time? Perhaps not. But it's very much within the realm of possibility.

Who was the Blue Belt who beat a Black Belt in Gi at the Fila Worlds Grappling?

Just saying it's possible. Heck, we have a blue belt here who's tapping browns, and he's been training for just over a year and a half. And he's a light featherweight.

[Edit: Oh, and he fought the Worlds this year at Blue, and lost in the quarters to the guy who won. So he didn't even medal.]

My

Last edited:
I have never met a mediocre brown belt in my life and I have met many. For that matter, I honestly have never met a mediocre purple belt either. I've met a ton of lackluster blues and whites though.

Mediocre means average, as in it repesents the middle. Mediocre is not a negative term it simply means run of the mill. Most brown belts are average brown belts. So god knows all the world class brown and purple belts you have been meeting.

Back