McKenzie-tine?

Here is the best non MGinaction vid of Marcelo's Guillotine. I actually think it is very different from the one on TUF last night:

Instead of gripping the knife edge of the hand and flaring the elbow up, Cody basically positioned his support arm like he would be doing a bicep curl and used the palm of that hand to push up into his other hand. It's closer to Nate Diaz' most recent Guillotine than it is to Marcelo's. The one Cody and Nate Diaz used appears to cut off both arteries. While Marcelo's elbow flare Guillotine can put you to sleep, you will likely tap almost immediately from the forearm powerfully cutting into the throat. The main difference between Nate's and Cody's is that Cody maintains a half guard, while Nate stays completely off to the side:

nateguillotine.gif

Here's a GIF of Nate Diaz's Guillotine. I don't know how to make a GIF of Cody's.

It's okay...

Honestly if you drill the hell out of Marcelo Garcia's guillotine, there really is nothing quite on par with it. He basically reinvented the wheel with that one. Not only is it the most versatile and powerful guillotine, but it's one of the most versatile and powerful submissions period. Like, arguably top 5.

The one Cody McKenzie did was cool, and it's basically the exact one that Nate Diaz did to Marcus Davis. It's certainly better than the traditional closed guard guillotine. So it's somewhere in between that and the Garcia style guillotine to me.

Not trying to hijack, but has anyone seen the upside down gable grip for the arm-in guillotine? People seem to think that's a more powerful choke than trying to finish the arm-in guillotine with the normal grip.

I guess I gotta get the details for guillotines down better, they looked the same to me. I missed quite a few details. Lol. I just saw the elbow lift and assumed they were similar.

I guess I gotta get the details for guillotines down better, they looked the same to me. I missed quite a few details. Lol. I just saw the elbow lift and assumed they were similar.

Ya know I was the same way and I think a lot of people are. The fact that the guillotine looks so much like a move that even little kids instinctively do says a lot. It's just a head tucked under an armpit, how much detail can there be? I still train with people that sort of have this mentality. I've done the Marcelo guillotine on people full bore and received the WTF face maybe more than any other submission. I think now that the Marcelo guillotine and other guillotine variations are being used in MMA by people like Faber, Torres, Mir, Shields, and Diaz, more people that aren't grappling buffs like us are starting to see that there are many ways to do the guillotine and many intricacies for those variations.

It's really not just a close your guard and squeeze move anymore.

9 of his 11 wins by guillotine choke in the 1st round, that is pretty insane.

9 of his 11 wins by guillotine choke in the 1st round, that is pretty insane.

it's funny because he didn't look THAT good on the ground to me.

then all of a sudden the arm went over the head and i thought oh damn!

Not trying to hijack, but has anyone seen the upside down gable grip for the arm-in guillotine? People seem to think that's a more powerful choke than trying to finish the arm-in guillotine with the normal grip.

I don't know what you mean by upside down, but I've been experimenting with a choking arm palm down/outside arm palm up gable grip for arm-in chokes. This makes it very easy to keep your elbows really tight to your body. I haven't worked it enough to say for sure its a better finish, but I know its super easy to hold on to forever.

I don't know what you mean by upside down, but I've been experimenting with a choking arm palm down/outside arm palm up gable grip for arm-in chokes. This makes it very easy to keep your elbows really tight to your body. I haven't worked it enough to say for sure its a better finish, but I know its super easy to hold on to forever.

Could you describe it using thumb up/thumb down instead of palm? I am having a hard time following.

So let's say you have to settle for the arm-in Guillotine with their head under your right armpit. Your right arm is choking. At your laptop screen right now, gable grip your hands with your left palm facing your face and your right palm facing away from you. Now, lift your right elbow so that your thumb is pointing to the right, and now gable grip your hands again. The pinky side of your forearm should be choking them instead of the thumb side of your forearm. It's basically choking them with the outside of the forearm instead of the inside. it feels odd at first, but you get used to it.

I really hope I explained that okay. I'll try to find a video somewhere.

it's funny because he didn't look THAT good on the ground to me.

then all of a sudden the arm went over the head and i thought oh damn!

Same here. But as soon as they subtitled what GSP said I knew it was gonna happen.

I'm sure I just looked like a fool doing that.
I see what you mean- you end up with your left fist about to punch you in the chest. Bizarre.
I'll see what happens, about to train now.

Edit- the grip I'm talking about is the first half of what you described, before you rotate your right thumb.

Cody actually has a variation to the one he used in that fight. He fights out of Spokane and has been on a few cards that some of our fighters have been on. He showed them the other variation in the hotel room.

I think someone posted a lockflow link to it (or someones variation of it). Essentially, instead of grabbing your own wrist, you put your hands together like you are "praying". Then push your hands into the neck by pushing your outside hand into (over) the inside hand. Unlike your standard guillotine you can let someone pass to side control and the choke gets WORSE.

If you have every seen Cody fight, he just waits for someone to shoot and slaps this on. He will let guys pass to side control so that they tighten up the choke themselves.

It was more because GSP was whispering rather then his accent.

I figured that was the case because they didn't subtitle him in the other spots. But I still say TUF uses too many subtitles for people that don't need them.

No luck, Drew. Got close a couple times, but ended up having to just Darce a muhfucka.

Back