McKenzie-tine?

HardEight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For those who saw it on TUF, what do you think about it?
I've never tried flipping it around that way but apparently it works, he has won all but one of his fights by it.
I might have to try this thing out.

I really want to try out his modified guillotine choke. But I didn't quite understand how it worked when he did and and when he tried to describe it.

i think i know what he's getting at, but if i tried it would just be a mix of fail and lols.

u guys like jonathan brookins wrestling?

Nobody here has ever learned that variation? Guess I'm in the minority. I've seen it before, don't really care for the grip myself.

i think i know what he's getting at, but if i tried it would just be a mix of fail and lols.

u guys like jonathan brookins wrestling?

Ehhh looked like he was just blindly shooting in, and relying on his athleticism to compensate for a lack of a setup.
My instructor was experimenting with this guillotine grip on me a couple of weeks ago if I recall correctly. It looks very interesting though, he got it from half guard on the unconventional side really cool.

How about Dane Sayers' running-flying-triangle thing he did instead of touching gloves? lol

How about Dane Sayers' running-flying-triangle thing he did instead of touching gloves? lol

That shit was bonkers. I was so disappointed when he won that fight. Man...

On a side note: WAR NAM PHAN!!!! Awesome to see local fighters on the big screen.

On a side note: WAR NAM PHAN!!!! Awesome to see local fighters on the big screen.

Yeah he gassed so easily.

And WAR NAM for sure. It'll be interesting how a nice guy like him fits on the show.

Ehhh looked like he was just blindly shooting in, and relying on his athleticism to compensate for a lack of a setup.

yeah they didn't show very much of it but he is a great grappler. i'm guessing they were just showing crowd pleasing clips as it looked like he ate a few shots on the way in... but either way he was a state champ in high school and wrestled in college if i remember right.

he trains in one of three gracie barra locations here in orlando i train in. unfortunately i've never been able to roll with him but other people i roll with say he's a beast.. hopefully we get to see a lot more of it this season!!

Yeah, I was happy Nam got on the show, and that was impressive that he dropped his opponent with a punch to the liver.

we were just talking about how he used the inverted guard and still was able to throw punches and recover position.

that was sick.

Amir (the guy McKenzie guillotined) is a great friend of our school. He was a training partner of Matt Hughes, and is a fighter coached by Jeremy Horn. He is a blue belt in BJJ under my coach...which is only because he pretty much exclusively trains no-gi. I have seen him submit more then one black belt in no-gi if that gives you an idea of his grappling ability. He was controlling the fight before the guillotine. It was a bit of a bad break, as now the whole cast got to see what McKenzie's "trick" is.

Can anybody provide a video or gif of this guillotine? I'm very curious to see this as I have been experimenting with a modified guillotine grip which is proving very effective for me.

kudos for him sensins when he went out and releasing and not waiting for the ref to step in, guys often don't even release for the tap but wait for the ref to do it

Did anyone else see last night's episode of TUF? Here is the only video I was able to find, maybe someone has better quality:

YouTube - TUF S12E1 FIGHT #13 - Cody McKenzie vs. Amir Khillah

Anyway, I never seen it applied like that before anywhere; not in MMA fight, JJ match or even in practice. That seemed pretty sick.

He barely had the guy in a weak halfguard, yet was able to finish just with his hands and arms alone without using a guard.

Later in the video he shows the modified hold.

I've been grappling for like 6 months, so I def don't know everything, so was wondering if anyone else seen it or if they teach it in any JJ school? Or what you think of it in general.

What I thought was interesting is that he said they don't have any coaches in Alaska, they just figure stuff out themselves - so maybe people like that have some unorthodox moves that work.

Back