McKenzie-tine?

won't figure fouring the arms do the same thing?

Cody McKenzie vs. Amir Khillah| Ultimate Fighter Fights | Videos | Season : | Spike

Link to his fight from the ultimate fighter for anyone who wants to see him get the submission.

Wow. I just rewatched it - and the whole time some dude from his corner keep screaming. "You don't have it, use it as a reversal" "You gonna get tired, etc." And then once the guy passes out everyone is silent in disbelief.

Shows how much he knows :) . I mean don't get me wrong I would be saying the same thing. I think conventional wisdom says if you don't have your legs around the guy, you don't have a guillotine - but I'm loving seeing some new moves come out to crush that. Things just keep evolving.

I sometimes do a guillotine with a reverse gable grip. I usually try to set up the guillotine with the grip a la Marcelo Garcia, but if I'm too late to get the second hand in I can usually slide the second hand between my opponents shoulder and neck and grab a reverse gable grip. I can finish that like normally, get on the side that has the head in and squeeze, but if the guy manages to pass on the other side, where a normal guillotine is out of the question, this one actually gets tighter :icon_chee

No luck, Drew. Got close a couple times, but ended up having to just Darce a muhfucka.

Ain't nothing wrong with that homie. BTW, I was dead serious when I said the Marcelo Guillotine trumps all. I don't fiddle too much with arm-ins, 10-fingers, etc.

No doubt. Complete hijack, but whats your finish for the north/south choke? I've been having no luck getting the tap.

You know guys live in the same house and train in the same gym and some people on the same team end up fighting each other. There are really no secrets. He was just having fun with his goto move he coined for himself, no wrong in that.

Does anyone know what the rules are for this? If a classic guillotine is banned in a tournament, could you use a prayer choke or the Marcelo version of the guillotine? I'd think that since it's not a neck crank it'd be legal, but I'm not entirely sure.

I think I'll be rooting for "deadliest catch" dude, that was a great finish.

Does anyone know what the rules are for this? If a classic guillotine is banned in a tournament, could you use a prayer choke or the Marcelo version of the guillotine? I'd think that since it's not a neck crank it'd be legal, but I'm not entirely sure.

The guillotine and all variations including the prayer and Marcelo versions are not banned in any BJJ or submission wrestling tournament. At least, not if you're an adult. If you have not practiced the Marcelo version, I would hop on that. It's seriously one of the most powerful submissions ever.

No doubt. Complete hijack, but whats your finish for the north/south choke? I've been having no luck getting the tap.

Me?

I'm assuming your set up is fine right? I used to use the guillotine grip but I use the gable grip now. Both are fine. The trick is to pull your elbows down to your waistline, while sprawling backwards. A lot of time Marcelo just rests his head on their chest or shoulder, but I get a stronger tap by putting my forehead on the mat. A lot of times people tap before you get your head to the floor, but it's good practice. By sprawling your hips back, it opens up the space between their chin and the top of their chest, allowing more room for your choking shoulder to press down. The dropping shoulder helps close off the space, but really try to flare you lat muscle. That's probably one of the biggest things that makes the choke work. If you've lifted any weights before you'll know what I mean. If all of this is still not getting it done for you, clock your hips in the direction of the trapped head by walking your feet. Remember to stay low while you do this, but it will also help un-tuck the chin if it's tucked as well as open up more of the side of the neck for your lat to squeeze. It also will push the far side of the neck into your bicep. I usually don't do that, unless they have a small or huge neck.

Does that help?

Could you describe it using thumb up/thumb down instead of palm? I am having a hard time following.

So let's say you have to settle for the arm-in Guillotine with their head under your right armpit. Your right arm is choking. At your laptop screen right now, gable grip your hands with your left palm facing your face and your right palm facing away from you. Now, lift your right elbow so that your thumb is pointing to the right, and now gable grip your hands again. The pinky side of your forearm should be choking them instead of the thumb side of your forearm. It's basically choking them with the outside of the forearm instead of the inside. it feels odd at first, but you get used to it.

I really hope I explained that okay. I'll try to find a video somewhere.

Good description, I'm gonna have to try this.

The guillotine and all variations including the prayer and Marcelo versions are not banned in any BJJ or submission wrestling tournament. At least, not if you're an adult. If you have not practiced the Marcelo version, I would hop on that. It's seriously one of the most powerful submissions ever.

I guess this wouldn't really apply to me since if I do compete these days it's usually in a local Judo tournament.

But I am still curious how the rules are applied. Sometimes we have kids enter a bjj division where guillotine's are banned.

And I will practice more of marcelo's guillotine although I tend to favor the prayer choke due to having long forearms.

I have known Cody for about six years now. When we first met I was reffing him in white belt competitions.

I have rolled with him on occasion and have watched him improve.

The thing that I have always noticed about him is his un orthodox approach of submission before position. It the opposite of traditional bjj.

I used to have problems with him in sport BJJ as a butt scooter. He has gotten passed that.

Most notably about two years ago he won a advanced division no gi fight against on of WA best wrestlers out there. There was no way Cody would ever take this guy down.

Cody knew it.

Instantly at the start of the fight he jumped guard with a flying crazy guillotine and won fastest submission of the day.

I think he will do great on the show as a character. He is real nice and kind of goofy. He is not a guy with a chip on his shoulder and is genuinely cares about the sport.

I figured that was the case because they didn't subtitle him in the other spots. But I still say TUF uses too many subtitles for people that don't need them.

lol yeah they always Sub english people I've even seen Aussies subbed aswell.

Back