McGregor = Psychological Warrior/ Movement Master, Anderson = Clown

I like both fighters. I'm way more invested in Anderson, but like to an embarrassing degree. I can't watch Anderson fight live because I don't think that I can take another knockout like that one against Weidman. It still hurts me.

Conor is must see TV. No doubt.

Anyways, I do want to point out that Chael did a great little video where he explained how Anderson isn't a counter striker. You can find it on Chael's website in the Bisping vs. Anderson preview. Worth a listen.

Conor with one fucking N. The clowns are fan boys who can't spell their own saviors name.

Silva is a boss who had 10 title defenses. Conor is a hype train with absolutely no title defenses who beat midgets.

Thread failure.
Goddamn how are you gonna reply to the thread when you didn't even read the OP?

That was, like, most of the responses on the first page. Gave some serious insight to the quality of your average Sherdog poster.

Anderson Silva is the master of movement. McG cannot and should not be placed into the same conversation with Silva when it comes to movement. The only current fighter that can reach Silva is Stephen Thompson.

Some silly posters out there.

Both of these guys are clearly on a higher plane mentally from the competition. One is in his prime, while the other is in the twilight of his career. I'm trying to understand why, when Conor runs his mouth, puts his hands up, and taunts his opponents to create vulnerabilities, he is regarded as some kind of psychology genius.. But when Anderson does it, he is a clown.

My best guess is because Conor moves forward more and Anderson is more of a counter fighter. Of course, there are other differences, such as the language barrier and (Sherdog gonna hate this...) race.

It is, in my opinion, very hypocritical to like one of these guys and not the other. They are similar in many ways, aside from Conor relying more heavily on pre-fight antics. Both are very creative and innovative, using their opponent's vulnerabilities to their advantage.

My question: Do you tend to dislike both, are you fans of both, or do you like one and not the other?

EDIT: Removed extra "n" from Conor. Whoops.
EDIT II: Learn to read more than a thread title, you chumps.

If you saw his victory over Aldo or his 4 second win over Doherty you'll realize that your entire argument is based on the premise that the difference is that Conor moves forward which is completely wrong.

Conor is about movement not style, and because you can't see that you resort to calling everyone who disagress a clown, your mental midgetry is showing.

Anderson has danced, played games with the ref, and literally just refused to fight. Conor shows up to fight every time. I may not agree with everything he says, but he brings it. Anderson used to bring it until he got rich. Then he brought it once in awhile and now he doesn't bring it anymore because it's almost gone.

I read the whole thing. It's hard for me to take anything serious when people can't spell his name right. I don't think MCG should even be put in the same paragraph and Anderson silva when comparing their footwork/movement.

Just because the guy has a movement coach and rambles about his movement all the time doesn't make him excellent at it. He isn't fluid at all he moves stiffly and calculated. His timing and reflexes are good for his brawler style but he's nothing like Anderson when it comes to these things.

If you saw his victory over Aldo or his 4 second win over Doherty you'll realize that your entire argument is based on the premise that the difference is that Conor moves forward which is completely wrong.

Conor is about movement not style, and because you can't see that you resort to calling everyone who disagress a clown, your mental midgetry is showing.

I said "my best guess." Pretty sure the point of being on a forum is to offer thoughts, news, and speculation. Conor is less of a counter fighter than Anderson, although he counters well with his left - He just tends to use pressure more. Never do I make an argument, I just point out similarities and how they are interpreted differently, while offering reasons as to why that might be true. If you think Anderson is about style, but not movement... That is a pretty baseless assumption. I also didn't call anyone a clown. I don't think your reading comprehension is very good. Vote for Trump type.

I read the whole thing. It's hard for me to take anything serious when people can't spell his name right. I don't think MCG should even be put in the same paragraph and Anderson silva when comparing their footwork/movement.

Just because the guy has a movement coach and rambles about his movement all the time doesn't make him excellent at it. He isn't fluid at all he moves stiffly and calculated. His timing and reflexes are good for his brawler style but he's nothing like Anderson when it comes to these things.

Some people spell the name with one "n," some people spell it with two. I assure you, spelling aside, I am quite familiar with the two fighters, as well as martial arts as a whole. This isn't so much about the two being placed in the same paragraph in terms of footwork/movement, but rather trying to understand that, when these two fighters have clear similarities, some fans appear to glorify those qualities in one fighter but not the other.

I said "my best guess." Pretty sure the point of being on a forum is to offer thoughts, news, and speculation. Conor is less of a counter fighter than Anderson, although he counters well with his left - He just tends to use pressure more. Never do I make an argument, I just point out similarities and how they are interpreted differently, while offering reasons as to why that might be true. If you think Anderson is about style, but not movement... That is a pretty baseless assumption. I also didn't call anyone a clown. I don't think your reading comprehension is very good. Vote for Trump type.

You're right you didn't call anyone a clown and I admittedly zoned out while reading the post the rest of my reply stands and as you said you're in a forum where your opinions will be responded to. And I do think your 'guess' is based on a faulty premise. Are you one of those persons that inject politics into everything?

Obviously its more appealing to people to have a fight end in an aldo scenario where he ate a punch to give one and achieved maximum results than a guy appearing to run circles around his opponent but never actually landing anything significant.

You're right you didn't call anyone a clown and I admittedly zoned out while reading the post the rest of my reply stands and as you said you're in a forum where your opinions will be responded to. And I do think your 'guess' is based on a faulty premise. Are you one of those persons that inject politics into everything?

Could you explain? Is Conor not a more pressure oriented fighter, while Anderson is more of a "wait for an opening and counter" fighter? I see that Conor has a great counter left hand, but his counters often times are a result of his pressure, waiting for his opponent to throw in response, dipping the punch, and coming back with the left hand. It would be interesting to see the "moving forward" stats for each guy.

Could you explain? Is Conor not a more pressure oriented fighter, while Anderson is more of a "wait for an opening and counter" fighter? I see that Conor has a great counter left hand, but his counters often times are a result of his pressure, waiting for his opponent to throw in response, dipping the punch, and coming back with the left hand. It would be interesting to see the "moving forward" stats for each guy.

First of all I apologize if I came off cunty, I'm pulling an all nighter (work).

And yes both his Aldo KO & his 4 second KO came from him "elevating the temperature" as Robin Black said. And you're right again Anderson does seem to rely on mostly pressure, I gave you a quick response because I am so used to seeing people here just trash fighters for no reason that every now and then I just go on sarcastic aggressive tirades haha!

635818594863936208570687520_appy-polly-loggies.gif

I think it's because Anderson got KTFO, so the he went from "spider-matrix-mind-games-genius" to "clown".
If (when) Conor gets KTFO during one fight that he talked a lot of crap, he'll be put on the same place as Anderson.

Major factor for me is hype. McGregor has a load of it right now and to a degree it is justified.

We'd be having the Silva goat threads if he matrix move ko'd Bisping in the first but I think age has caught up with him (worth mentioning that I still think Silva could have took it if he had stepped up the pace)

Some people spell the name with one "n," some people spell it with two. I assure you, spelling aside, I am quite familiar with the two fighters, as well as martial arts as a whole. This isn't so much about the two being placed in the same paragraph in terms of footwork/movement, but rather trying to understand that, when these two fighters have clear similarities, some fans appear to glorify those qualities in one fighter but not the other.
I never heard that philosophy when spelling someone's name.

I don't really see their similarities is my only point bud. Anderson is a Muay Thai fighter with incredibly sound technique who makes use of knees in the clinch as much as he throws his punches and kicks. His striking is very techincal and sound and he uses his incredible reflexes to lead guys into striking so he can counter. That is his bread and butter with awesome Bjj if he needs to be on his back. His wrestling isn't very good.

Conor is a south paw yes and doesn't have wrestling either so they're only similar there. Conor fights with a karate stance usually in the horse stance and adds in his kicks. He isn't a Muay Thai fighter. He doesn't use a MT clinch to land knees or anything similar. He is effective throwing his kicks and trying to set up his hands which flow more like a boxer brawler.

Both styles are effective but Silva's proved to be one that allowed him to defend his title 10 times while picking up 16 wins in a row in the UFC. Conor's without a title defense and has not had the UFC run that's even comparable. I get what you're getting at but I do not feel that they have anything similar to compare them stylistically. Conor isn't a black belt in bjj who would be able to submit Hendo, Lutter, Or Chael from his back.

Yep, because all it takes to hold a bunch of records in UFC is to be a clown.

Derp.

I never heard that philosophy when spelling someone's name.

I don't really see their similarities is my only point bud. Anderson is a Muay Thai fighter with incredibly sound technique who makes use of knees in the clinch as much as he throws his punches and kicks. His striking is very techincal and sound and he uses his incredible reflexes to lead guys into striking so he can counter. That is his bread and butter with awesome Bjj if he needs to be on his back. His wrestling isn't very good.

Conor is a south paw yes and doesn't have wrestling either so they're only similar there. Conor fights with a karate stance usually in the horse stance and adds in his kicks. He isn't a Muay Thai fighter. He doesn't use a MT clinch to land knees or anything similar. He is effective throwing his kicks and trying to set up his hands which flow more like a boxer brawler.

Both styles are effective but Silva's proved to be one that allowed him to defend his title 10 times while picking up 16 wins in a row in the UFC. Conor's without a title defense and has not had the UFC run that's even comparable. I get what you're getting at but I do not feel that they have anything similar to compare them stylistically. Conor isn't a black belt in bjj who would be able to submit Hendo, Lutter, Or Chael from his back.

In regards to the spelling, I was saying that the name can be spelled with one or to "n's." Conor McGregor does it with one.

You're pointing out there technical differences in their striking base, but that really isn't the target of this thread. If anything, I indicated that the differences in their striking approach could lend to the difference in how they are perceived. However, I don't think that one having more of a Karate stance is or a Muay Thai base is really relevant. The comparison was more about they way they move and the antics utilized in the octagon.

Back