McGregor = Psychological Warrior/ Movement Master, Anderson = Clown

I may get flamed for this, but I think that Anderson's in cage antics have been exposed by the likes of Weidman and Bisping. Opponents used to get flustered and freeze up when he would pull out some of the more unusual martial movements during fights, so they worked to his advantage; however Weidman and Bisping showed that if you keep pressuring him when he does this it really has little advantage.

Conor does not really 'clown' in the cage, he will talk to the opponent and may give them the finger or whatever but during the actual confrontation, when they are engaged in combat, he is all business...which is to his advantage.

I don't think it's that simple. There is an element of it certainly but it isn't like every guy Silva fought in his prime took the bait. Against Vitor, Henderson, Cote, Franklin and maybe someone else im forgetting he either didn't use the tactics or they didn't take the bait. The only guys that really come to mind who had their souls stolen from the tactics were Griffin and Okami.

Honestly the use of these tactics increased a lot as Silva aged and my speculation is that as he was getting older and out of his prime he couldn't his opponents to overextend the old fashioned way with his speed and footwork so he needed to try to bait them more and hand them the KO on a platter so to speak. Not to discredit him in any way of course.

He's never "clowned" guys as much as he did in the Bonnar and Weidman fights. Well other than the Maia fight but that was just weird as fuck.

Last edited:
More in regards to how I pointed out that one fights moving forward and the other is a counter fighter. I'm not sure about Anderson being known for "stalemating fights to win on points." Just seems... inaccurate. But congrats, must be some good shit.

You can't be a sole counter fighter if it means you're not willing to attack. It's really as simple as it's fighting, not self-defense where you can only attack when attacked. People are paying to see a fight. It is the fighter's responsibility to provide the fight. If you're dancing around, or whatever you're doing, is not an actual act of violence, you aren't providing what you're paid to do. And if you're aware your opponent is not willing to submit into a disadvantageous position, you should start doing your job and fight/attack.

Vs Patrick Cote, Demian Maia, Thales Leites, were all flat lined by AS' clowning.

Last edited:
You can't be a sole counter fighter if it means you're not willing to attack. It's really as simple as it's fighting, not self-defense where you can only attack when attacked. People are paying to see a fight. It is the fighter's responsibility to provide the fight. If you're dancing around, or whatever you're doing, is not an actual act of violence, you aren't providing what you're paid to do. And if you're aware your opponent is not willing to submit into a disadvantageous position, you should start doing your job and fight/attack.

Vs Patrick Cote, Demian Maia, Thales Leites, were all flat lined by AS' clowning.

Anderson is a counter fighter who isn't that willing to attack. Of course nobody is truely a pure counter fighter in the sense that they never lead but Anderson is the closest thing. He does lead enough to score points and does go for damaging shots when he sees the opening. He ko'd Vitor with a lead kick.

As far as "not an act of violence" or whatever, I believe his finish rate speaks for itself.

Anderson is a counter fighter who isn't that willing to attack. Of course nobody is truely a pure counter fighter in the sense that they never lead but Anderson is the closest thing. He does lead enough to score points and does go for damaging shots when he sees the opening. He ko'd Vitor with a lead kick.

As far as "not an act of violence" or whatever, I believe his finish rate speaks for itself.

I'm not saying he can't clown around, because yes it can be very effective where it leads to an opening where he can attack his opponent in a vulnerable position. So I don't blame him for trying and starting out with clowning, but if it isn't working and the opponent isn't freely giving you a dominant position, then you should take another course and find a way to get a dominant position with a different strategy. Because keeping the current strategy results in 2 fighters not doing their job, one deliberately and one not deliberately, and the customers not getting what they are paying for.

Andersons antics cost him fights, McGregors antics are an asset.
You are aware this is what counter fighter do right? Sergio martinez was boxings anderson silva and muhammed ali did a lot of similar things. The whole point is to bait you into leaving yourself open and being a very good judge of distance to paint the optical illusion that you fight with your hands down. When ranges change, hands come up (usually) That just comes with the territory being a counter striker. It doesn't work on everyone, especially when your reflexes start to go. They all demonstrated that as well.

Some silly posters out there.

Both of these guys are clearly on a higher plane mentally from the competition. One is in his prime, while the other is in the twilight of his career. I'm trying to understand why, when Conor runs his mouth, puts his hands up, and taunts his opponents to create vulnerabilities, he is regarded as some kind of psychology genius.. But when Anderson does it, he is a clown.

My best guess is because Conor moves forward more and Anderson is more of a counter fighter. Of course, there are other differences, such as the language barrier and (Sherdog gonna hate this...) race.

It is, in my opinion, very hypocritical to like one of these guys and not the other. They are similar in many ways, aside from Conor relying more heavily on pre-fight antics. Both are very creative and innovative, using their opponent's vulnerabilities to their advantage.

My question: Do you tend to dislike both, are you fans of both, or do you like one and not the other?

EDIT: Removed extra "n" from Conor. Whoops.
EDIT II: Learn to read more than a thread title, you chumps.

Their fighting style are different . Conor is an pressure fighter. I've notice that most of the knockouts are against the fence like Mendes, Siver, brandao, poirier and the best shots he landed on Hollaway are against the fence. Silva on the other hand bait people in for counters.

Anderson had opponents scared without even having to talk to them. McGregor psychs guys out as much or more through talking than his actions.

Anderson had guys flat out terrified to fight him through in ring actions alone.

I don't mind his antics... the fact that it pisses people off means they are gotten to. This is what he is trying to do to his opponents. I think he does a lot more than conor inside the cage as far as trolling though. It would be pretty embarrassing if conor started to pull some matrix shit and got knocked out in the process....and that goes for any fighter

silva is 41 and has been fighting mma for 19 years

when conner is 41 and has been fighting mma for 19 years i doubt we will even be talking about him.

silva is 41 and has been fighting mma for 19 years

when conner is 41 and has been fighting mma for 19 years i doubt we will even be talking about him.

Not necessarily true. But I don't think anyone can say that Conor is a better striker than Anderson, nor do I think their legacies are currently comparable. Nonetheless, for all we know, Conor could be making a run at GOAT status. Has a lot of ground to cover, though.

Conor has more title defenses than any other UFC champ. Conor has never defended his title

Silva could clown as long as he was knocking people out, but when he is/was going to 5 round decisions, people were/are angry.

Thread title says "movement master" but does not mention Cruz...

WelllitFrayedFoxterrier.gif

Anderson has always taken the baiting/clowing and countering the extreme, and has never been good at pressuring his opponent, but I think what we are seeing now is him already being a bit eccentric + his old age + too many punches to the head + years of steroid brain all adding up to some even more bizarre behaviour from him. If I were to guess he is only going to get weirder.

Back