Mcgregor - Eddie Alvarez, a 'begging bum' with 'novice' striking

He didnt get wrecked by Cerrone. Re watch fight close decision. Not to mention Cerrone would beat the brakes off Conor. Alvarez would tie McCringe into a knot like Pettis.

Conor has nothing for top 6 LW. former #6 Nate dominated him everywhere and will do it again so this thread is irrelevant.
Yeah, Alvarez really tied Pettis into a knot. A lackluster split decision knot. Get a grip.

Eddie vs Conor would look like Eddie vs Pettis .. if you dont think so, go watch the Mendes fight

I remember Cerrone almost finishing him with leg kicks, But Cerrone somehow did went to the ground with him for no reason. Then Cerrone said that he was gassed and some other thing.

Cerrone sure beat the shit out of him, and if he fights him in a fight that ins't for the title, he will beat him every time they fight.
Nate destroyed Cerrone, he broke the strikes landed record that fight.

So far Eddie has had problems taking anyone down in the UFC. He struggled with Pettis, who has always shown a weakness to wrestling and is a small lightweight.

He may be bigger than Mendes, but his wrestling isn't nearly as good. Maybe he could take Conor down, but it certainly wouldn't be "at will."

The only time he tried taking anyone down in the UFC was Pettis, and that was against the cage, in the open mat he's getting that TD against Pettis way easier, he's def taking Conor down.

he throws a bunch of kicks, sure, maybe some of them are to set up a left hand, most aren't, but that isn't a diverse striker. McGregor has a left straight, you can say "that's his main weapon", that's pretty much his only weapon. He's one of the most one dimensional fighters to have success currently, and that is an accomplishment in itself, you don't need to pretend that McGregor is this genius, constantly setting shit up. He's human, he throws a bunch, he lands a bunch but he also misses a bunch. That's just the nature of volume fighters.

Numbers aren't everything, but if you want to talk about accuracy, they're kind of important to give context. you can look great, land the great shot to finish someone early, but if you threw 20 strikes and landed 3, that's an effective performance, not an accurate one. Again, you don't need to explain away his flaws, they make him interesting. He isn't the accuracy powerhouse like Anderson Silva or Joanna, but he is effective with the shots he does lands.

Don't condescend to me, it won't dissuade me from making my argument and it doesn't make my argument weaker.

No, the left isn't everything he has. Conor has won fights using his ground before, and he almost finished Brandao with a spinning kick.

Conor isn't exactly a volume fighter, he is actually a counter punch fighter. But he uses a agressive style on top of it, without being a dude who gets into a brawl like Lawler. And that's why he use his kicks so much, and most of his intention with it is to keep the distance. Conor never threw kicks at full force because he knows that using volume is much better to keep someone away from him. He also uses if he needs to set up his left. He is a counter punch who makes his opponents walk back awards. If he didn't used those kicks and the volume in his punches, his style would be totally different, as he would have to be more like Thompson and Anderson. 2 counter punch fighters who let they opponents have the octagon control.

We saw a different Conor in his last fight, he wasn't using his kicks, he was just over using his left and trying to get the finish. He still hit Nate over and over again without using other things of his game. That says how good his accuracy is. He fought in the most cocky way he has fought in the Nate fight and still did good in the feet.

When Conor actually use his kicks, and don't fight a entire fight trying to land his left without doing basic things he did in every other fight, he can be very efficient.

Yano matter who wins this fight, if the winner fights Eddie, Alvarez will get himself a big pay day. If it's the foolish leprechaun, it becomes an even easier big payday for Eddie.

I like Conor but he's probably going to lose Saturday, and if he fought Eddie next it would be 3 in a row.

But thats ok on Sherdog, depending on the fighter... According to the vast majority around here Nick
Diaz is still in the WW title picture, and maybe even MW...

Eddie vs Conor would look like Eddie vs Pettis .. if you dont think so, go watch the Mendes fight

Mendes has way better wrestling.

Mendes has probably the best wrestling of BW, FW and LW. It's either him or Dominick.

So far Eddie has had problems taking anyone down in the UFC. He struggled with Pettis, who has always shown a weakness to wrestling and is a small lightweight.

He may be bigger than Mendes, but his wrestling isn't nearly as good. Maybe he could take Conor down, but it certainly wouldn't be "at will."

Siver put Conor on his ass twice IIRC. I'm sure Eddie can do it as well.

It's very likely that the winner of McGregor/Diaz fights Alvarez next. Either one should be able to find his chin.

Mendes landed 57% of his takedowns

Conor had a medial cruciate ligament tear.

McGrbSI.gif

Mendes has better wrestling than Alvarez

I would not be surprised if Conor fights Eddie instead of Aldo in his next fight.

No, the left isn't everything he has. Conor has won fights using his ground before, and he almost finished Brandao with a spinning kick.

Conor isn't exactly a volume fighter, he is actually a counter punch fighter. But he uses a agressive style on top of it, without being a dude who gets into a brawl like Lawler. And that's why he use his kicks so much, and most of his intention with it is to keep the distance. Conor never threw kicks at full force because he knows that using volume is much better to keep someone away from him. He also uses if he needs to set up his left. He is a counter punch who makes his opponents walk back awards. If he didn't used those kicks and the volume in his punches, his style would be totally different, as he would have to be more like Thompson and Anderson. 2 counter punch fighters who let they opponents have the octagon control.

We saw a different Conor in his last fight, he wasn't using his kicks, he was just over using his left and trying to get the finish. He still hit Nate over and over again without using other things of his game. That says how good his accuracy is. He fought in the most cocky way he has fought in the Nate fight and still did good in the feet.

When Conor actually use his kicks, and don't fight a entire fight trying to land his left without doing basic things he did in every other fight, he can be very efficient.

Conor hasn't been a counter puncher since the Brimage fight. I guess the aldo fight as well, but that lasted one punch. Since holloway, he marches guys down and throws volume.

He threw plenty of kicks against Nate, they just missed and got him taken down and clinched. The second strike he throws is an absurd spinning back kick that nate barely moves to avoid.

The left straight is Conor McGregor's plan A-Z. That failed against Nate and he had no backup plan. He fights on a line to maximize the length of the punch, he manages distance to set up the punch. If that punch doesn't kill the guy, he has no reserves to go into. That's simply a statement of fact.

This is some of the worst nuthugging I've ever read. Are you seriously giving Conor credit for someone else's win??

No, it is more like giving credit to RDA for injuring himself and then losing (ala Aldo). He was definitely bothered by the whole "not a real Brazilian champ" comment and probably more.

Props to Eddie for a great performance anyway.

Back