McCain and Bush are now Media Darlings

I remember the 8 years of George Bush's presidency and he was shit on the whole time by the media (rightfully so in hindsight).

When McCain was running against Obama, he was also the enemy of the media.

Media darlings may be a stretch.

And not sure I'd say McCain was the enemy of the media. Sarah Palin, maybe.

I think she turned off a lot of people in general, IMO

I can only speak for myself, but having voted both sides on more than one occasion, I can't recall a time where I thought either candidate didn't have the country's best interest at heart. Obviously that goes for McCain and Bush.

Given what we have now, I think it's refreshing to hear former heads of state speaking with genuine compassion and kindness, (not to mention complete sentences,) as opposed to vitriol and name calling.

Speaking of McCain, what is it like day 5 of his memorial/funeral whatever? Feels like it. Got to have been at least four "emotional tributes" from his daughter so far.

Then your memory is dog shit.

GWB was never, ever comparable to Trump. GWB was a bad public speaker and came off as an affable putz. Trump is a legit moron with no shame and the maturity of the preteen, who constantly and carelessly lies and says moronic things and commits social faux pas that embarrass his country.

True anomalies are rare, but Trump is one. His lack of dignity and competence is unprecedented in US presidential history.

When it comes to political principle, policy platform/knowledge, social awareness, and dignity? Yes, he's considerably better than the average 2018 Republican. Even withstanding Trump (who is again an outlier in terms of his shittiness), GWB is considerably preferable to guys like McConnell, Ryan, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Ted Cruz, Carly Fiorina, Ben Carson, etc.

I did not mention Donald trump in my post. You said the average republican. Can you stop thinking about trump for one post? You said GWB is worlds better than the average republican. The man who invaded Iraq and destabalized it to this day. That is a bizarre and insanae opinion.

anyone else find this a bit strange/hypocritical?

I remember the 8 years of George Bush's presidency and he was shit on the whole time by the media (rightfully so in hindsight).

Now, they are both portrayed as fluffy, cuddly teddy bears.

This is as it has always been. They are no longer threats to the Democratic party (and in fact Bush lends support to the Democratic party), so it's fine to rally behind them.

I did not mention Donald trump in my post. You said the average republican. Can you stop thinking about trump for one post? You said GWB is worlds better than the average republican. The man who invaded Iraq and destabalized it to this day. That is a bizarre and insanae opinion.

The average Republican today, who have all had to adapt themselves to the Trump era. I then went on to list some of those Republican figures specifically.

You're being willfully obtuse.

I think Bush handles himself well as a former president.
His political decisions should of course still be criticised if the critism is valid.
But there is no reason not to give him respect overall.

No reason? There's PLENTY reason.

The one thing I like about George is that he took up painting and does portraits of American soldiers.

He is a pretty good artist, assuming that he actually paints what I saw.

They guy was a puppet. Darth Cheney was the real POTUS.
I do not believe the "Cheney was really in charge" claim. After all, if Cheney pulled the strings, why wasn't Libby pardoned?

Also, I don't think W gets enough credit for creating PEPFAR.

Then your memory is dog shit.

GWB was never, ever comparable to Trump. GWB was a bad public speaker and came off as an affable putz. Trump is a legit moron with no shame and the maturity of the preteen, who constantly and carelessly lies and says moronic things and commits social faux pas that embarrass his country.

True anomalies are rare, but Trump is one. His lack of dignity and competence is unprecedented in US presidential history.

When it comes to political principle, policy platform/knowledge, social awareness, and dignity? Yes, he's considerably better than the average 2018 Republican. Even withstanding Trump (who is again an outlier in terms of his shittiness), GWB is considerably preferable to guys like McConnell, Ryan, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Ted Cruz, Carly Fiorina, Ben Carson, etc.

Trump is president destroying all the things you love and how you want America to be. Not a moron! he proven this.

<17><17> Deal with it!

Don't be fucking dense.
All these men are statesmen whether you or stupid Donald Trump think they're worthy of respect. It's only EVERY DEATH OF EVERY STATESMAN EVER that generates outpourings of grief and reminiscences of shared service

Fuck off with your idiotic bias.
Maximum OEUVRE RUSTLE!!!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Trump destroyed Jeb, angering GW and then destroyed McCain thereby turning those people into MSM heroes

Re. Bush
Part of the media affection or going soft is simply because it's been awhile since he left office. Ex Presidents get more sympathetic media and public treatment when they are out of office , and it's been awhile. Part of it is because compared to Trump, Bush was rather very moderate and tame.

Part of the media going soft on McCain is because he died, so no one wants to hurt the living family members. Part of it is because he and Trump clashed and Trump is disliked strongly by the media. Also the media never railed against McCain like they did with Bush Jnr.

All in all, I would say it is a mixed bag of reasons, and not exclusively because Bush and McCain are/were at odds with Trump

Bush and that goblin Cheney should have stood before the Hague, fuck those two!

Also, GWB is not a media darling. It's just, again, that he was/is more honest, honorable, and mature than Donald fucking Trump. Same reason why shit bags like Reagan and Romney seem awesome by comparison.
This. What the fuck kind of stupid ass definition of "media darling" do you people have?

Media darlings may be a stretch.

And not sure I'd say McCain was the enemy of the media. Sarah Palin, maybe.

I think she turned off a lot of people in general, IMO

I can only speak for myself, but having voted both sides on more than one occasion, I can't recall a time where I thought either candidate didn't have the country's best interest at heart. Obviously that goes for McCain and Bush.

Given what we have now, I think it's refreshing to hear former heads of state speaking with genuine compassion and kindness, (not to mention complete sentences,) as opposed to vitriol and name calling.
What do you have now? Someone that is facilitating a soaring economy, can’t be bought, doesn’t buy into the globalist agenda and doesn’t sugarcoat and utilize political correctness.

I can see how that could be troubling.

You needed hindsight to know the media was right about George Bush?

What do you have now? Someone that is facilitating a soaring economy, can’t be bought, doesn’t buy into the globalist agenda and doesn’t sugarcoat and utilize political correctness.

I can see how that could be troubling.

Yep, he's a Right-wing Populist as opposed to Obama who was a Social Democrat.

I'm not surprised. Each new batch of Republicans makes the preceding one look good. I honestly pine for the days of the Bush era when all they wanted to do is murder tens of thousands of Iraqis. These days it feels like the gun has been turned inwards.

Back