Mayweather's MMA Bodyguard gets dropped quick in a boxing match.

Yes, but a lot of people do shoot guns. There's also this whole sector of people who are required to train in shooting guns. We're on the same page here; competitive shooting is not a big attraction but if you can't acknowledge the talent required to get that good at shooting, I don't know what to tell you.

"Talent" is relative. We are talking about shallow pools here. Mayweather is the preeminent talent in a deep, shark infested pool.

People like the guy you posted, Rousey, etc are the "best" of a shallow talent pool. Calling someone the most "talented" WMMA UFCer is about as distinguished as praising someone for being the tallest midget. You're still a midget.

Lol his response afterwards is great

"Talent" is relative. We are talking about shallow pools here. Mayweather is the preeminent talent in a deep, shark infested pool.

People like the guy you posted, Rousey, etc are the "best" of a shallow talent pool. Calling someone the most "talented" WMMA UFCer is about as distinguished as praising someone for being the tallest midget. You're still a midget.

You're saying that Mayweather makes money based solely on his talent. That's not entirely true. Freddy Roach has stated that Guillermo Rigondeaux is the most talented boxer in the world and probably the greatest talent that he's ever seen. Others will contend that Andre Ward is the most talented boxer in the sport. Both Rigondeaux and Andre Ward won gold medals, which Floyd failed to do. I'm not saying they're more talented but I am saying that there's an argument. In any case, neither guy pulls nearly the amount that Floyd does let alone the amount that Ronda's making right now.

Mayweather is no doubt an all-time great talent but his absurd paydays are equally if not arguably more attributable to his persona and his ability to galvanize the casual observer to watch him fight. He was considered the best talent in boxing prior to his fight with De La Hoya, who at the time was the most bankable fighter in the sport despite several high profile losses. Mayweather did not become the most bankable entity in the sport until after that fight and the inaugural edition of HBO 24/7. This is not a coincidence.

You're saying that Mayweather makes money based solely on his talent. That's not entirely true. Freddy Roach has stated that Guillermo Rigondeaux is the most talented boxer in the world and probably the greatest talent that he's ever seen. Others will contend that Andre Ward is the most talented boxer in the sport. Both Rigondeaux and Andre Ward won gold medals, which Floyd failed to do. I'm not saying they're more talented but I am saying that there's an argument. In any case, neither guy pulls nearly the amount that Floyd does let alone the amount that Ronda's making right now.

Mayweather is no doubt an all-time great talent but his absurd paydays are equally if not arguably more attributable to his persona and his ability to galvanize the casual observer to watch him fight. He was considered the best talent in boxing prior to his fight with De La Hoya, who at the time was the most bankable fighter in the sport despite several high profile losses. Mayweather did not become the most bankable entity in the sport until after that fight and the inaugural edition of HBO 24/7. This is not a coincidence.

Andre Ward has made more money then Ronda in his career even with the long lay off. Much more.

Rigo has been screwed in his career by Arum and HBO or else he would be too and generally fighters under 135-140 arent going to make the same money in boxing add heavier guys.

Most of the posters in here make me cringe, the education system has failed us.

Took me 3 pages to put together that this thread did not originate here.
Also loved the Isaiah Thomas "Hilltop" Tacoma shirt. Representing my neighborhood

not sure if he has any actual mma experience. before he got hooked up with floyd, e just trained in the gym like anyone else. he was always terrible at boxing. typical big guy that cant punch. he got beat up regularly.

Andre Ward has made more money then Ronda in his career even with the long lay off. Much more.

Rigo has been screwed in his career by Arum and HBO or else he would be too and generally fighters under 135-140 arent going to make the same money in boxing add heavier guys.

No he hasn't. He's never headlined a PPV and his most high profile fight was an HBO showdown against Chad Dawson. A cursory Google lists his net worth to be around 2 million dollars, which is actually more than I thought it would be. Nonetheless, he's made less than Ronda has. It's a damn shame too because I think SOG is the truth and I'd love to see him and Kovalev go at it. Krusher is nasty but I think Ward styles on him nonetheless.

Mayweather is listed at 5'8, 151 lbs. I have a hard time believing he's even that tall and he's been known to have to actively work to get that heavy. He's a little dude by most standards. He has that "it" factor when it comes to charisma, presence and self-promotion. Conor has it too which is why he's ascended so quickly as a figure in MMA. I don't see Rigo ever becoming that same kind of draw because he's already 34 and probably a bit too quiet of a guy.

I know Manny became a megastar but he's from a place that hadn't really had its own transcendent superstar while Rigo is from a country that churns out gold medalists. Also, Manny ascendance to superstar status statewide has a lot to do with having Floyd as a counterpoint; the devout, quiet family man with the sweet voice and manic, aggressive style vs. the brash, ostentatious loudmouth neutralizer with the nutty family. It's a great, albeit highly simplified narrative.

No he hasn't. He's never headlined a PPV and his most high profile fight was an HBO showdown against Chad Dawson. A cursory Google lists his net worth to be around 2 million dollars, which is actually more than I thought it would be. Nonetheless, he's made less than Ronda has. It's a damn shame too because I think SOG is the truth and I'd love to see him and Kovalev go at it. Krusher is nasty but I think Ward styles on him nonetheless.

Mayweather is listed at 5'8, 151 lbs. I have a hard time believing he's even that tall and he's been known to have to actively work to get that heavy. He's a little dude by most standards. He has that "it" factor when it comes to charisma, presence and self-promotion. Conor has it too which is why he's ascended so quickly as a figure in MMA. I don't see Rigo ever becoming that same kind of draw because he's already 34 and probably a bit too quiet of a guy.

I know Manny became a megastar but he's from a place that hadn't really had its own transcendent superstar while Rigo is from a country that churns out gold medalists. Also, Manny ascendance to superstar status statewide has a lot to do with having Floyd as a counterpoint; the devout, quiet family man with the sweet voice and manic, aggressive style vs. the brash, ostentatious loudmouth neutralizer with the nutty family. It's a great, albeit highly simplified narrative.

He made 2.14 million in his last fight. And 2 million his previous fight a year and a half ago. Was making a million every super six fight old the million bonus for winning. Stfu when you don't know what you're talking about.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ward has made more than Rousey, as he has had multiple $2 million guaranteed purses (like his last two fights) in addition to other $1 million plus paydays and some high six figure ones. He's also had at least two big signing bonuses of over a half million dollars each (once when turning pro and another when renewing with Goossen). That's just including his guaranteed money and doesn't include the money earned for ringside work he does for HBO, bonus for winning the super six (extra million I think?), his sponsorship deals, or any other money that he's earned. He's made plenty and most of it's freely available to look up for yourself.

He has that "it" factor when it comes to charisma, presence and self-promotion. Conor has it too which is why he's ascended so quickly as a figure in MMA.

Lol @ making this comparison.

Mayweather made 300M in his last fight (more than the ENTIRE UFC ROSTER has since the "sports" inception) while Caner gets paid 10k to wear Reebok gear that he has to put up for sale online after his match.

On what level can these two be compared?

Lol @ making this comparison.

Mayweather made 300M in his last fight (more than the ENTIRE UFC ROSTER has since the "sports" inception) while Caner gets paid 10k to wear Reebok gear that he has to put up for sale online after his match.

On what level can these two be compared?

Because they're great self promoters who can get people who don't normally watch to take interest. Yes, Floyd makes more money. We get it, dude. He's been at it for much longer and he's a much more established commodity. Again, we seem to agree on many things even though you seem more interested in being a dick because you're angry about something. I don't think it's crazy to say that Conor has a similarly transcendent personality that allows his appeal to extend beyond pure fight fans.

Falling flat on your face again. There is a reason this guy -presumably- gets paid peanuts - nobody cares about what he does. You can't accurately gauge his "talent" because competitive shooting isn't something a ton of people flock to.

Meanwhile, Mayweather has ascended to the top of a cutthroat, skill based, highly competitive evolved sport. There is a reason why he's raking in 300M in one fight.

I did the math(estimate) on how many hours Floyd has practiced, trained, studied boxing, and its mind boggling.

He started boxing around 5. So he has boxed for 33 years. On average he trains 6 hours a day. 6 days a week.

33 x 310 x 6 = 61380 hours of boxing practice, training, studying, and fighting. This number is probably on the conservative side because there was a period in his teens and early 20s where he was training 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week. Literally has taken no extended breaks from his sport.
He has had world class coaches from the beginning and the best sparring and training. The other big thing is that he has managed not to have any serious injuries minus his fists. Also doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs.

He may possible hold the record for having dedicated the most time and hours on the planet to any sports profession on the planet for anyone his age.

I did the math(estimate) on how many hours Floyd has practiced, trained, studied boxing, and its mind boggling.

He started boxing around 5. So he has boxed for 33 years. On average he trains 6 hours a day. 6 days a week.

33 x 310 x 6 = 61380 hours of boxing practice, training, studying, and fighting. This number is probably on the conservative side because there was a period in his teens and early 20s where he was training 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week. Literally has taken no extended breaks from his sport.
He has had world class coaches from the beginning and the best sparring and training. The other big thing is that he has managed not to have any serious injuries minus his fists. Also doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs.

He may possible hold the record for having dedicated the most time and hours on the planet to any sports profession on the planet for anyone his age.

Great analysis.

Now compare that to UFC title contender Beth Correia who was an accountant a few years ago. You can see why people like Mayweather get paid 300M for one right whereas Rousey is reduced to embarrassingly calling him out time after time.

He made 2.14 million in his last fight. And 2 million his previous fight a year and a half ago. Was making a million every super six fight old the million bonus for winning. Stfu when you don't know what you're talking about.

Here's something pretty ridiculous about these silly net worth sites. In Aug of 2013 they determined Ward's net worth to be $10 million;

http://sportrichlist.com/boxing/andre-ward-net-worth/

Since that Aug of 2013 date, Ward has received two guaranteed purses that totaled more than $4 million like you and I both stated. Has continued with his Nike sponsorship through the Jordan brand, which Ward himself says is a "significant deal" by itself. As far as I know still has the Everlast sponsorship. Has also added other sponsorship such as Shoe Palace and the like. Just signed a new promotional deal with Roc Nation earlier in the year in which Steve Kim says he " he received a multi-million dollar signing bonus to come over". Has worked as an analyst for HBO. Talks freely about about all the investments he makes and himself says he's set up well for retirement. Etc., etc.

Yet we're to believe that Ward is suddenly worth $8 million less than he was two year ago according to these net worth sites? Umm, okay then.

This is what it looks like to me. His security guard wanted to get a little camera time. Thinking his ability is greater than it is. Gets hit with a left hook and goes down. Maybe a flasher.

Or, it's all staged to add a little fuel to the boxing vs mma beef. With all the UFC vs boxing and Mayweather vs Ronda and Connor shit. Either way don't think it means much.

not sure if he has any actual mma experience. before he got hooked up with floyd, e just trained in the gym like anyone else. he was always terrible at boxing. typical big guy that cant punch. he got beat up regularly.

Figured.

Back