Media Max Holloway responds to Illia’s offer to stand and bang at the start, calls it dumb.

Or maybe ilia doesn’t understand what the intention of that is. Mad explained it in that interview. It’s when the guy who points is up on cards and is giving the other guy a chance to get back into it. It’s not to be a knucklehead and throw all caution to the wind at start of fight. He is going there to fight for the belt and they have a game plan. One could easily say that ilia is too much of a pussy because he feels like he has to finish max in the first round or two to have a chance because of max legendary gas tank and ability to drown his opponent with cardio and punches in bunches. Is ilia afraid of getting out of the first two rounds with max and concerned about the pace and volume that will consistently come back at him for three more rounds?
Ilia is the champ, giving max an opportunity to bang it out at the very beginning....... and considering that max has done this before, has more experience, always done better in those exchanges, he's not taking the BMF route, in which he "should" have an advantage.

Max is more calculated than people think. Someone like Gaethje would probably accept a throw down first round. Max can't just do that every fight for fans either. Max's style is pretty safe when he's in his cruising mode and laying on volume as much as he gets hit.

I mean Holloway is a cardio machine so it's easier for him to stand and bang when the other guy is totally tired. Not agreeing to stand and bang at the start of the fight just shows that he's scared of Topuria knocking his ass off. Nothing wrong with it, he's just being a pussy.

Being a pussy by not letting his opponent talk him into a handicap? What Max does is give his opponent a chance in a fight they are losing. That’s not cowardly behaviour.

It's just 2 people framing a position as two different approaches to being a badass.

Max is saying, we're going to have our fight, and even though I'm winning, I'm not going to back off to ensure I'll win. I'll give someone a chance to pull it back by banging it out in the end

Ilia is turning that around by making that moment not about last chances vs being safe, but instead "let's bang it out at the beginning."

Each of their framings do increase risk to themselves, sure, so it is badass. But the framing they each picked vs the one the other is using is obviously better for them. It's not hard to argue that being part of their motives in using them

But considering that Max has already been doing it and Ilia offered something different: if you have to start an argument about one of their takes being a purposeful reframe, ya gotta assume it's Ilia. Especially helped by prior history of one of them being more provably often as full of shit. So really anyone having a go at Max while not acknowledging Ilia attempting to play things in his own favor is being intentionally duplicitous

Last edited:
Being a pussy by not letting his opponent talk him into a handicap? What Max does is give his opponent a chance in a fight they are losing. That’s not cowardly behaviour.

You're engaging the aforementioned dipshits. Don't feed em.

Bro, it's a handicap for Topuria, not Max.

If they throw down at the start, that's Max's best chance of winning. He has probably a 25-30% chance of KOing Topuria with a lucky punch.

Outside of that, even if he gouges out both of Topuria's eyes like he did Gaehtje, Max's chances of winning are still only 5-10% at best.

And Max's behavior is cowardly. He only did that stuff to Gaethje because he'd blinded him before hand. Otherwise, no way he would have.

If they throw down at the start, that's Max's best chance of winning. He has probably a 25-30% chance of KOing Topuria with a lucky punch.
Yeah, one of the most well-conditioned volume punchers in the game is benefited by going balls to the wall in the first few seconds against a guy who can slug as hard as Ilia.

Yeah, one of the most well-conditioned volume punchers in the game is benefited by going balls to the wall in the first few seconds against a guy who can slug as hard as Ilia.

Yeh, but like I said, he might land a lucky punch, bro.

Oherwise, he's just going to get embarrassed lol.

Yeah cuz risking your win bonus in the last 10 seconds when you're up on the cards is so smart. Go ask Korean Zombie how well that worked out for him.
View attachment 1067982

tumblr_pi0n7my8Br1udfb8oo2_r1_500.gif
that one hurt. He was on a good fucking run

Bro, it's a handicap for Topuria, not Max.

Outside of that, even if he gouges out both of Topuria's eyes like he did Gaehtje, Max's chances of winning are still only 5-10% at best.

And Max's behavior is cowardly. He only did that stuff to Gaethje because he'd blinded him before hand. Otherwise, no way he would have.

He did it to Lamas too.

Max’s chances get better as the fight goes on, this is obvious

Max waited until the last 10 seconds to go for the ko in a fight he had in the bag for the entirety of the 5th round Justins foot ankle was done for in the first and it had a huge impact on the fight. Justin didn't even land a punch in that exchange wasn't cuz of Max's amazing reflexes but because Justin was the wasted girl at the bar you don't hit on. But max doesn't have those standards and gets to look cool for the knockout.
Jbg will come back and even him out.

And you think it's a better chance to land a lucky punch in 10 seconds than over a 25 minute period?

Yeh, because at least if they do the throwdown, Topuria is going to throw defense out the window and try and take him out.

if they don't, Topuria's defense will be there. Max ain't landed a lucky KO shot in 25 mins against Topuria.

The throwdown in 10 seconds is Max's only chance.

He did it to Lamas too.

Max’s chances get better as the fight goes on, this is obvious

Lamas wasn't ever anywhere near Topuria's level though. That's the difference.

I'd say Max's chances get worse as it goes on. Every second Topuria is just going to be figuring him out more and more.

It's going to be light work for Topuria.

In other words, Max pussied out.
If Topuria is winning the fight by the 5th round, would he follow Holloway for those final seconds to stand and bang? I think he would not, that would be the one that "pussied out", if said moment even comes it would be awesome, but i doubt it, this fight wont make it that far imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NextGen
Back