Matt Furey

L

LearnAsILive

Hey,

I used the search function and didn't get too much to help me... his book was 'bad mouthed' by Urban and there were a couple of posts that mentioned his name... but as I said, nothing that really helped me.

Basically, with Christmas coming up, I'll have a little bit of extra money to buy myself something... and was looking into getting both his Combat Conditioning and Stretching DVD sets - however; I have learnt to ask people about buying instructionals since my last purchase, lol.

So, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what they are like... Pro's and Con's, that sort of thing. Sorry if a topic like this has been made already, but I honestly couldn't find it using the search function. (Trust a newb, eh? lol).

Thanks in advance.

Just say no

You'd be better off going with something by Mark Hatmaker.

Do yourself a favour, ignore Furey and go with Bas Rutten's MMA workout set instead. Seriously. If you see ANYTHING related to Matt Furey, just walk away.

I've got his Wrestling as a martial art and Combat Conditioning. While interesting and helpful I have to add that he unabashedly promotes himself, inflating his credentials and qualifications if not in actuality by implication.

The facts are that he takes credit for stuff that was old when he was born and exagerates his Catch lineage to make him appear to be more of an expert. That's not cool especially when he's charging out the wazzoo for his stuff based on his claims.

He also fills his web site and emails with Pro-Bush, anti-the rest of the world tirades, which really have no place anywhere, nevermind in workout instructionals.

I agree with superbeast, go with Bas instead.

The Furey stuff is horribly overpriced relative to others (low production value for the $) and content-wise is, IMO, less impressive than you can find elsewhere. I've not seen the conditioning stuff from Furey, but I have seen his grappling vids and believe that they are significantly inferior to the stuff by Mark Hatmaker. Now, you might see some people slag on Hatmaker here and there (mainly because he's not a prof fighter and has not trained any prof fighters of note), but it's usually from people who've not seen his work. Hatmaker's Floor Bag Workout (nearly 2 hours long) DVD might be a good introduction to his work given your interests, as it combines conditioning with grappling-related skills.

I think I'll give them a miss then, lol. I'll take a look into all suggested to me in this thread later tomorrow, at the moment, I need some sleep, so I shall retire to bed, heh.

Thanks for your input.

Ross Enamait's site is a GREAT resource, as are his ebooks on conditioning. And they are reasonably priced. Also, Ross does a bang up job w/ customer service, and personally answers the most redundant of questions. A lot of the principals (principles? whichever) he pushes in his books have become foundations to my own training. No gimmicks, he just throws it all out there in plain English. It's up to you to apply it.

Add another endorsement to the Bas mma workouts, too. It works great as a solo workout, but you can make tons of modifications for training with a partner, and with/without contact w/ heavy bags or mitts. I've been doing his system for over a year, and it still whips my *ss.

As for stretching, I'm a big fan of the Gracie stretch routine, as detailed in Royce's book Superfit.

I have several of Hatmakers books, and they're pretty decent. Very inexpensive.

I have no experience at all with Matt Furey's work, so I can't really opine there. But I've yet to hear anything good about it, over several message boards.

Cool; I was under the illusion that Bas' workout was one which needed a partner - if it's solo training I'd definately consider purchasing it. That's the problem with a lot of instructionals; you need a partner to do it and I severely doubt I could get the missus to let me put her in an armbar ;)

I've got a Psychology essay to write; but I'll take a look at everything provided to me in this thread inbetween paragraphs, heh. Thanks a lot of everyones help - I owe you one.

I have that problem, too. I need to find some solo training instructionals. I have to check out Bas's stuff.

thaiboxgrappler said:
Honestly, check out Ross Enamait's website. www.rossboxing.com

Awesome conditioning stuff. Infinite Intensity is a great book!

Amen. Ross Enamait = the God of conditioning, IMO. And I am a huge Bas fan and use his workouts constantly. But Ross' stuff has taught me so much.

Compare Ross' "Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness" to Furey's Combat Conditioning. Ross has WAY more stuff, and you can trust that he uses this stuff constantly. That's not even his coolest book though.

Just ordered Mark Hatmakers Gladiator Conditioning and Ground Bag Workout... I'll take a look into Ross Enamait's stuff as a lot of you seem to think he's good.

As far as stretching routines are concerned; is there a specific person in this field I should look out for?

Again, thanks a lot.

LearnAsILive said:
Just ordered Mark Hatmakers Gladiator Conditioning and Ground Bag Workout... I'll take a look into Ross Enamait's stuff as a lot of you seem to think he's good.

As far as stretching routines are concerned; is there a specific person in this field I should look out for?

Again, thanks a lot.

I just ordered it also. Thanks for the heads up!!

I'm glad to hear that so many people know about Rossboxing.com. He really makes Furey look like a chump.

thaiboxgrappler said:
Honestly, check out Ross Enamait's website. www.rossboxing.com

Awesome conditioning stuff. Infinite Intensity is a great book!

Ross is great. I have several of his books. He has fourms on his website too and will answer any questions you have about shit. As for stretching there is an amazing free stretching guide on the net. It doesnt have any pictures, but its very scientific, it seems like someone did it as a research project in grad school, and it cites many real legit medical studies on the subject. Just do a search for it in a search engine it wasnt hard to find. Also the articles in the last 2 issues of Grappling were pretty good, brought up a lot of issues ive never thought about.

this thread needs more hindu pushups
hindupushups2.jpg

That picture looks like someone shaved Rotunds avatar. Look at the shape of Matts head and his build. I think we found the missing link.

www.SSFgear.com

Take the hindu squats and bridges, and run for the door. That's the best you're going to get from that snake oil salesman.

Back