Matchups where you knew you favorite fighter was screwed

Confused at what the thread title is asking.. Your favourite fighter was going to be screwed? The betting favourite fighter was going to be screwed?

Ah seemingly the former, have to go with Izzy vs Anderson then I think.

UFC 264 Ilia Topuria vs Ryan Hall. I Honestly think Hall is gonna get bodied in this match and if he does he may never get a fight again

Random fights off the top of my head
Old Stipe vs Ngannou. I really wanted to believe Stipe still had it but deep down I knew he had just slowed down.
Dillashaw evaporating down to flyweight. Guy looked like a corpse.
Weidman vs Reyes. Like, why was this even made?

Mousasi was going to fight Gus on one leg ( thank God , Xander wasn't aware) and Gus was the one who backed out with a boo boo( which was a good thing , gegard wasnt beating Gustafsson with a healing torn ACL. what a boss). He got to re arrange the 205 Latifi s face instead.

For me it was Werdum vs Miocic, when the match was made I knew Miocic was a NIGHTMARE match up for Werdum.

I knew Werdum improved his striking a lot but Miocic is a far better boxer and way more athletic than Werdum and also I knew Miocic wrestling and fight IQ would have been enough to nullify Werdum's jew jit su.

Werdum was a decent favorite going into the fight and most people were picking him but I knew Miocic was gonna fuck him up pretty bad, I was praying someone pulled out and the fight be cancelled.

View attachment 863024

However I never expected the the fight to go the way it did, that KO shook me to the core.

f22NWm5.gif

he won the championship and lost the championship with the same punch damn lol

Francis really does have insane chin most would probably have fell

Damn, I never realized that JJ had a tattoo on his ribs.
I'm a huge tattoos aficionado, so I usually pay attention to the fighters' ink, but for some reason I've missed that one for about 12 years now...

the two symbols are 㝊, meaning “to guide”, and 術 , which means art or skill, and is the “su'' in jiu jitsu. Put together, they do not have any meaning, but the characters sound like the word Gaidojutsu, which happens to be a martial art created by Greg Jackson, and practiced by Jones.

When it comes to my favorite fighters and "knowing" they were screwed...
Let's just say I was less than enthusiastic when Sakuraba's match-ups against Melvin Manhoef and Shinya Aoki were announced.

Aoki in particular, since at least against MM, there was a chance Saku could weather the storm and armbar him, à la Yoon Dong-Sik or Makoto Takimoto.

But Aoki... Saku had been safely retired for 4 years at that point, and everyone knows that Shinya is a little sadistic goblin, with all due respect to the Tobikan Jūdan, because despite all that I'm still a fan, and he still cried after the Saku bout was stopped by his corner...

But damn, what a kick to the nuts that fight was, as soon as it was announced it felt like a terrible idea, and the worst outcome materialized; "warrior ref lets Japanese hero go out on his shield, forcing his corner to throw in the towel"

Shameful dispray

Shogun vs OSP
Considering that the OSP fight was made because Shogun vs Jimi Manuwa was scrapped after he broke his foot, I was honestly relieved.

Like, Manuwa had just gotten his perfect record broken in by Gustaffson, so the next guy who would face him would feel the full force of his wrath.
It ended up being Jan Blachowicz, thank Kami, because I had a horrible feeling when Shogun/Manuwa got announced <6>

"NOOOOO!!! YOU MANIACS!!! HE JUST GOT H-BOMB'D, YE INHUMAN OUL' BASTERDS "

I'd love to see how that fight would have gone if Werdum fought with one ounce of his brain -

I was shitting watching Whittaker jump in and out against Izzy - it was only a matter of time.

Aldo/Holloway. Just a rough match-up for Aldo at that point in his career. Aldo against a younger cardio-machine that throws strikes every second of the entire fight and constantly puts on the pressure? Rough match-up :(

Not exactly my favourite, but one of my favourites:

Condit (of last years) vs any BJJ/grappling-based opponent (like Demian Maia and Chiesa).

Last edited:
I was stoked he was getting the shot but I knew Diaz was in for a long night against Benson Henderson. I figured I’d be sitting there for 25 minutes hoping Nate lands a triangle or a leg lock. Exactly how it played out. Also Nick when he fought GSP, more or less the same thing only I also had hopes he might land a big shot. WarDiazBros

Back