Matchups where you knew you favorite fighter was screwed

2011 was a nightmarish year for the hardcore pride fans

<JonesLaugh>
tenor.gif

Thanks to Mr. PED! Probably juiced all his career!

When Cowboy was supposed fight Diego but Diego got released in the UFC due to the Fabia situation, obviously. I knew he was screwed taking the Morono bout.

Everytime U. HALL a big fight that could put him into title contention. They should really make a tv show movie out of his career. Like some behind the scenes shit. On how nearly decapitating someone. Derailed his path to greatness.

Overeem vs Volkov. With the right matchups, Overeem could have made it to a title shot. A Derrick Lewis fight, or a Rozenstruick rematch, both would have been very winnable for Reem.

But God damn as soon as that fight was booked I knew he was fucked.

For me it was Werdum vs Miocic, when the match was made I knew Miocic was a NIGHTMARE match up for Werdum.

I knew Werdum improved his striking a lot but Miocic is a far better boxer and way more athletic than Werdum and also I knew Miocic wrestling and fight IQ would have been enough to nullify Werdum's jew jit su.

Werdum was a decent favorite going into the fight and most people were picking him but I knew Miocic was gonna fuck him up pretty bad, I was praying someone pulled out and the fight be cancelled.

View attachment 863024

However I never expected the the fight to go the way it did, that KO shook me to the core.

f22NWm5.gif

Jew jit su?
frisco-kid.gif

Overeem vs Volkov. With the right matchups, Overeem could have made it to a title shot. A Derrick Lewis fight, or a Rozenstruick rematch, both would have been very winnable for Reem.

But God damn as soon as that fight was booked I knew he was fucked.
Came here to say this. In every Overeem loss (even Ngannou because he wasn't NGANNOU yet) I felt he could get KO'd/lose but he also stood a solid chance to win the fight. As soon as the Volkov fight was announced I knew he was walking into a buzzsaw. Overeem can actually avoid wide power punches half decently. But with his open center guard and small gloves he is terrible at stopping straight punches down the middle. And Volkov is by far the best at HW at straight punches and has a huge reach. Plus he was very hard for even Blaydes to take down. I really saw no way AO would win other than an absolute freak shot landing or something.

Got cancelled but Costa Robert. I like Rob more but I am also a huge fan of Costa and I knew he would lose badly. Honestly, I'm glad it got cancelled.

Anderson vs DC. I knew DC was going to fight like a coward.

Barao vs TJ 2. I knew Barao was screwed from the get go.

Then Barao vs Jeremy Stephens. That was a CRUEL matchup.

Came here to say this. In every Overeem loss (even Ngannou because he wasn't NGANNOU yet) I felt he could get KO'd/lose but he also stood a solid chance to win the fight. As soon as the Volkov fight was announced I knew he was walking into a buzzsaw. Overeem can actually avoid wide power punches half decently. But with his open center guard and small gloves he is terrible at stopping straight punches down the middle. And Volkov is by far the best at HW at straight punches and has a huge reach. Plus he was very hard for even Blaydes to take down. I really saw no way AO would win other than an absolute freak shot landing or something.
Yeah, the only way I saw was a lucky clinch sequence or a guillotine in a scramble, which is to say I didn't really see a way for victory at all.

Back