Crime Mass Shootings In The US

If we didnt insist upon making it incredibly easy for people with mental health issues to get firearms, then they wouldnt be able to do mass shooting like this. When you dont want to put restrictions on firearm sales and you dont want to spend money on mental health, you get our current situation.
Thats a dishonest framing, lowman. You have to lie on a federal application (felony) that gets submitted to the FBI.
You can thank the ACLU for the FBI not being able to access health records without a warrant.
Not saying I disagree with the ACLU’s position, because it is constitutionally sound. But people with mental health issues that legally purchase a firearm committed a federal crime in the process.

Let me say something that's not said often. It's not mental health. It's not entirely guns. It's cultural. The American culture itself breeds this., reinforces it, etc. Gun culture, like it or not, is a big part of American culture and gun violence is too. American culture presents the gun as the tool of self-expression. Our shooters aren't just crazy people off their meds. They're normal people with social grievances and the gun is how they express those grievances.

For popular culture examples, you can look at the Western movie genre where both the hero and the villian use the gun as tool for achieving their ends. Whether its terrorizing others or restoring justice and protecting peace -- the gun is how it is achieved. Michael Douglas' famous film "Falling Down" fleshed out the powerless man who exercises control over his environment through his gun. Those aren't the only or even the best examples, they're just the first that comes to my mind. We can look to gangster rap music which outsells most other genres or we can look at old school country music. It's pretty much everywhere.

Talk to foreigners and you frequently hear some variation of this "I don't get Americans. You won't let your kids see 2 adults kiss but you'll let them watch one man shoot another."

It's a culture of violence, most of it gun violence. And so long as we embrace and glorify that culture, none of the other issues matter. Mental health doesn't matter, gun control doesn't matter. The culture is the real issue and very few people are actually talking about it.

C6lUdSs.jpg

<WellThere>

Nothing says you have a problem in your country like the need to fortify schools.

I oppose gun control in almost any form but I'm not so insane that I can pretend that a problem doesn't exist. Gang shootings, crime related killings -- they are awful but they are also predictable and a consequence of the lifestyle choices made by criminals. The killing of random people just to kill random people is a problem separate and apart from that.

And while fortifying schools might be the only solution that people can all get behind, that would be a pretty large admission of a problem we can't control

I agree...I've never believed gun control is much more than a band aid to the larger problem. If I truly believed gun control would severely impact the problem that would be one thing. But I don't think it would.

As for the admission of it being a large problem we can't control (fortifying schools)...well...yeah. But that's where we are. It's time to face reality. You can call it a mental health crisis. You can say there are just too many evil fuckers that would kill innocent kids. Call it whatever you want, it's a problem we have no handle on. "Thoughts and prayers" is lip service...but so is "We need gun control!" imo. Sick fucks that would do something like what happened today aren't going to be deterred by gun control laws. They don't care about them, and it's way too easy to illegally acquire guns in this country.

Like everyone else, I wish I had a more positive take. Mass shooting don't just happen at schools, but they seem to be magnets for them. It's time we figure out how to better secure them. We'll never stop them all, but we gotta do something to make this less frequent. If we can't protect the most vulnerable among us, we are a failure as a society.

You're talking about domestic defence in the same breath as foreign defence.

You're not in a civil war.

This is not normal.

No, I’m talking about 40 billion dollars in aid to Ukraine in response to the conversation that infrastructure would be costly to secure schools.

your not gonna get rid of guns in Texas, thats just never gonna happen.

But we can work around it an try an make standards better an slow down this bs. But looking at congress, or governors, how do you stop the spread of stupidity
when the leadership is beyond fucking unreliable, non-united, and unwilling to work together unless it mean lining there pockets, or fucking over everyone that isn't them or have 150 million in the bank? We cant get proper treatment for our own people, proper counseling, proper awareness, so an so forth, what the fuck do you expect to happen?

You have people still crying about the trump election who can not get the taste of Trump cock out of they're mouth, a man who wasn't fit to lead. An yet you guys are trying to find a reasonable fix for this? It's tragic yes, but i dont expect shit, unless it means being screwed by the wacko's in Washington.

At this point, i give up.

Thats a dishonest framing, lowman. You have to lie on a federal application (felony) that gets submitted to the FBI.
You can thank the ACLU for the FBI not being able to access health records without a warrant.
Not saying I disagree with the ACLU’s position, because it is constitutionally sound. But people with mental health issues that legally purchase a firearm committed a federal crime in the process.
Bud, back ground checks arent even required for private sales in most states.

Let me say something that's not said often. It's not mental health. It's not entirely guns. It's cultural. The American culture itself breeds this., reinforces it, etc. Gun culture, like it or not, is a big part of American culture and gun violence is too. American culture presents the gun as the tool of self-expression. Our shooters aren't just crazy people off their meds. They're normal people with social grievances and the gun is how they express those grievances.

For popular culture examples, you can look at the Western movie genre where both the hero and the villian use the gun as tool for achieving their ends. Whether its terrorizing others or restoring justice and protecting peace -- the gun is how it is achieved. Michael Douglas' famous film "Falling Down" fleshed out the powerless man who exercises control over his environment through his gun. Those aren't the only or even the best examples, they're just the first that comes to my mind. We can look to gangster rap music which outsells most other genres or we can look at old school country music. It's pretty much everywhere.

Talk to foreigners and you frequently hear some variation of this "I don't get Americans. You won't let your kids see 2 adults kiss but you'll let them watch one man shoot another."

It's a culture of violence, most of it gun violence. And so long as we embrace and glorify that culture, none of the other issues matter. Mental health doesn't matter, gun control doesn't matter. The culture is the real issue and very few people are actually talking about it.

It's true...but I think it's a more recent (relatively speaking) phenomenon that there are more and more people unable and/or unwilling to separate fiction from reality. Going by my own memory (and this may have something to do with my age)...the crossover that really stood out to me first was the movie "Colors" from 1988. I had watched violent movies (featuring guns) prior to that, but that was the first one where it was showing stuff that was actually happening within our own country. I was a young teen, but that movie brought about a whole new reality to me that I didn't have any idea existed. And it didn't necessarily "glorify" it...but it did present the bangers as tough guys (which is appealing to a teen boy hopped up on testosterone). Then you had gansta rap hitting its stride, Boyz N the Hood, etc. And again, yeah, I watched Rambo and Die Hard and all those action movies but in my head those were pure fantasy, while the peek into the south central that Boyz N the Hood gave was more gritty, more "Holy shit...these guys really live this way. And...they're kinda badass."

Jump ahead, and we have a society where "Real and live" is prevalent. The lines between entertainment and reality have been completely and utterly (and irreversibly) blurred. As a kid I could watch Schwarzenegger kill hundreds of guys in "Commando", then go back to my actual life and never even imagine the two had any similarity whatsoever. Now...movie studios delay the release of movies if a major gun crime happens because they're worried about exacerbating things and more gun violence happening.

The world has just changed imo.

No, I’m talking about 40 billion dollars in aid to Ukraine in response to the conversation that infrastructure would be costly to secure schools.

We dont need secure schools, we need better ones an to give teacher a higher standard of living

Only country in the world where parents pray in the morning before sending off their kids to school and hope they come back safe.

I lol at these obese Americans, who scream 'its our right to own guns' and call America the best country in the world, when mass school shootings happen every week....and mass shootings every other day.

And thats not to mention the number of human rights violations undertaken by the police, laws being passed to ban abortion in certain states etc.

Its a joke of a country, and if you really think its the best country in the world, I assume youre a retard.

Back